Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
azulmagia
Frankly, I the spirit of Stafford Beer, it's easier to dissolve problems than to solve them. Lesser-evilism is a problem because of the two-party/FPTP system? Get a different system then.
As someone who has recently witnessed a measure to actually change a voting system from one that benefits the major parties to one which allows the smallest bit of inconvenience for them (from FPTP to IRV) I am going to suggest that you are incredibly naive if you think that an entrenched system can be so easily changed. Voting systems are boring, mathematical, and far too abstract for the general electorate to see through the bluster.

FUD rules all. It appears whenever the cosy status quo is challenged.
A Lost Iguana
azulmagia
Frankly, I the spirit of Stafford Beer, it's easier to dissolve problems than to solve them. Lesser-evilism is a problem because of the two-party/FPTP system? Get a different system then.
As someone who has recently witnessed a measure to actually change a voting system from one that benefits the major parties to one which allows the smallest bit of inconvenience for them (from FPTP to IRV) I am going to suggest that you are incredibly naive if you think that an entrenched system can be so easily changed. Voting systems are boring, mathematical, and far too abstract for the general electorate to see through the bluster.

FUD rules all. It appears whenever the cosy status quo is challenged.

Well I would be naive if I thought an entrenched system can be so easily changed.

When I think of the amount of effort it would take to implement sensible reforms - not the kind of stuff the Very Serious People are in favour of, but stuff that could be done within existing constitutional/economic system constraints, I see it assymptotically converging on the effort needed to produce the more radical changes that do not respect those constraints, and which IMO might actually solve problems, whereas the possibilist reforms do not come close to touching systemic, root causes.

In other words, I'm in favour of an outright REVOLUTION against the existing order of things.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
azulmagia
In other words, I'm in favour of an outright REVOLUTION against the existing order of things.
So shoot somebody.
Wendigo
azulmagia
So shoot somebody.

I've heard of one-man revolutions, but the weapon in question is usually the pen.
Obama said it was just a bump in the road. People killing 2 troops and an ambassador is just a bump in the road. This is just as stupid as Obama calling a guy that turned his gun on troops at ft hood just every day work place violence.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
MinnieMay
This is just as stupid as Obama calling a guy that turned his gun on troops at ft hood just every day work place violence.
Interesting, because that isn't stupid. Hassan was, at root, distressed that he could not find a lady friend, particularly not on his own terms. Th' decision to blame that on the US military and consume Islamist ideology was arbitrary on his part.
Wendigo
MinnieMay
This is just as stupid as Obama calling a guy that turned his gun on troops at ft hood just every day work place violence.
Interesting, because that isn't stupid. Hassan was, at root, distressed that he could not find a lady friend, particularly not on his own terms. Th' decision to blame that on the US military and consume Islamist ideology was arbitrary on his part.
Wait? some guy could not find a girl so he killed people over it?

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
MinnieMay
Wendigo
MinnieMay
Wait? some guy could not find a girl so he killed people over it?
What, that's not so different from Timothy Mcveigh, either.

The delusions of grandeur come free, what bugs me is folks take 'em at face value.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff