Welcome to Gaia! ::

The violent incidents of the past couple of days - involving the deaths of a US ambassador and three others, including a Something Awful mod - simply disgust me, as I'm sure they all disgust you. It's bad enough when it's ordinary religious fanaticism gone amuck, but the plot is thickening in unusual ways: a "film-maker" who may or may not exist; actors lured in to starring in the film under false pretenses, the name of Koran-buring pastor Terry Jones being bandied about in connection with the film, etc. There's very little hard information about the circumstances of this atrocity at the moment, much less the spark.

It's also unfortunate that this incident has prompted Mitt Romney to sink to unprecedent depths to make political hay of it, while the body of Ambassador Stevens was still warm. I'm really flabbergasted as what Romney had to say. At this point, I would not speculate on any limits to the potential mendacity or depravity of Romney when there's a microphone put in front of him.

So what did Romney say this time?

Mitt Romney
I’m outraged by the attacks on American diplomatic missions in Libya and Egypt and by the death of an American consulate worker in Benghazi. It’s disgraceful that the Obama administration’s first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks.

What Romney was responding to was a statement by the US Embassy in Egypt - i.e. not President Obama that could not have in any way "sympathized with those who waged the attacks," because the statement was released prior to the attacks:

Quote:
The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others

Now how did Obama's real first statement on this tragedy begin? "I strongly condemn the outrageous attack on our diplomatic facility in Benghazi, which took the lives of four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens. Right now, the American people have the families of those we lost in our thoughts and prayers. They exemplified America’s commitment to freedom, justice, and partnership with nations and people around the globe, and stand in stark contrast to those who callously took their lives." So, where is there any sympathy for the mob who perpetrated this attack in either statement?

Even worse, Romney doubled down on the statement when he was called on it, claiming that the administration had "sent mixed messages to the world," and made "a statement which is akin to apology," - clearly invoking the already discredited meme of the "apology tour". Now, nobody apologized for anything in relation for this incident, so that's another lie right there.

RNC chairman Reince Priebus parroted Romney's line, tweeting that “Obama sympathizes with attackers in Egypt. Sad and pathetic.” Romney also has Sarah Palin side, but that's just Sarah Palin being an attention whore.

On the other hand, Romney has lost former speechwriter and WSJ scribe Peggy Noonan, as well as Mark Halperin ("...his doubling down on criticism of the President for the statement coming out of Cairo is likely to be seen as one of the most craven and ill-advised tactical moves in this entire campaign." wink And not even Family Research Council head Tony Perkins thinks that Obama sympathizes with the attackers.

This is a cowardly, self-serving, opportunistic, irresponsible and profoundly libellous statement for a political candidate to say during an election, and in any decent country, it should kill off that candidate's chance of winning.

I think Romney has flunked, with a F, the 3:00 AM phone test.

Oh, and didn't Romney say he wasn't going to say anything partisan on 9/11?

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Not a very successful swing toward a general election message; the last election was fought and lost over terrorist sympathies and market corrections. Most people are not easily convinced of either, sight unseen.
Wendigo
Not a very successful swing toward a general election message; the last election was fought and lost over terrorist sympathies and market corrections. Most people are not easily convinced of either, sight unseen.

Directing the comment toward the administration, as was done, was correct. The embassy speaks as the President, as they are his representatives. I'll wait until he condemns this and doesn't apologize before I have a final opinion.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Wendigo

Directing the comment toward the administration, as was done, was correct.

Please explain to us how a comment that is 100% false can be "correct".

Quote:
I'll wait until he condemns this and doesn't apologize before I have a final opinion.

What part of "I strongly condemn the outrageous attack on our diplomatic facility in Benghazi" do you not understand?

Jesus ******** Christ.

rolleyes

Shy Werewolf

Please don't write Romney off. We are the country that elected Bush Jr twice after all.
Demon Kagerou
Please don't write Romney off. We are the country that elected Bush Jr twice after all.

And if we re-elect Obama that will make re-electing bush look like a stroke of genius. This guy makes Carter look smart.

Shy Werewolf

Old Blue Collar Joe
Demon Kagerou

And if we re-elect Obama that will make re-electing bush look like a stroke of genius. This guy makes Carter look smart.
I don't mean to be mean...but you come off as a douche sometimes.
I don't even know what Joe's mad about lol. We've moved several warships to the bay of Sirte, are going to be deploying drones in the Libyan desert, and pretty much either killing these guys or if possible nabbing them.

There's only so far you can take the little semantics farce of "OBAMA APOLOGIZES TO TERRIZTS" when he's moving some firepower around to literally blow the dudes up lol.
New Thought Queen
I don't even know what Joe's mad about lol.

Joe's part of the crazy 27%-ers - AKA the Republican base. Romney's comments are designed to appeal to such people, as well as folks like Ann Coulter and Jim DeMint.

They're living in their own dreamworld.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Demon Kagerou

Why the hate for Carter so much? Jimmy Carter is a intelligent man who is the one out of three presidents that has (or had) a degree in the natural sciences (nuclear engineering) the others being Herbert Hoover and James Garfield.
Steven Hawkings
Old Blue Collar Joe
Demon Kagerou

Why the hate for Carter so much? Jimmy Carter is a intelligent man who is the one out of three presidents that has (or had) a degree in the natural sciences (nuclear engineering) the others being Herbert Hoover and James Garfield.

It's a shibboleth of the tribe. They regard Reagan like Zeus, so Carter must therefore be Kronos, regardless of reality.

The script never changes.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Demon Kagerou
I think that 2004 has to be interpreted in its own historical context. "Fear fatigue" hadn't quite set in yet; color-coded, unspecified terrorist threats seemed so plausible to many people.

Had I to guess, regarding Carter, Joe blames Carter for allowing the Yom Kippur War and therefore OPEC embargo to occur. If not that, hell if I know.
Wendigo
...Joe blames Carter for allowing the Yom Kippur War and therefore OPEC embargo to occur.

That was in 1973....

Shy Werewolf

azulmagia
Wendigo
...Joe blames Carter for allowing the Yom Kippur War and therefore OPEC embargo to occur.

That was in 1973....
I'm honestly kind of surprised Reps don't bring up Black Hawk more often, if only because they have to be tired of the 70s by now.
Demon Kagerou
azulmagia
Wendigo

That was in 1973....
I'm honestly kind of surprised Reps don't bring up Black Hawk more often, if only because they have to be tired of the 70s by now.

I'm thinking more of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Eagle_Claw

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas