Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Trader

8,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Clambake 200
Sauce

So as of today, Kim Dotcom has launched his new site Mega, a year after the take down of the MegaUpload. Politically, this has been a disaster for the government of New Zealand and embarrassment for US officials, but will this debacle actually end political careers in the near future?

Secondly, I am curious how to the FBI and other groups will respond to this and will they make an effort to shut down the new site.

I guess we'll see in time how this unfolds.

Dedicated Poster

7,775 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
Considering all of these file sharing sites had the ability to report infringing files, I don't think they're (or rather, should be) as criminally liable as ISPs.

I'm sick of closed door meetings between the industry and government, this affects us too. Cunts.

Mega Noob

I suppose some convoluted out-lawyering will ensure this gets shut down as arbitrarily as the first. Third time's the charm, though.
I get the feeling that Hollywood's shitting bricks about now, and that the DOJ is uselessly trying to figure out how to pin this to Dotcom (they've already claimed it's a violation of his bail, but that hasn't been working.... ever since he announced this).

The bigger question is this: Will the new Mega try to resurrect the program that was supposed to cut out the industry middlemen (RIAA), and let the artists keep a bigger share of the profits that Dotcom was boasting about just before the Megaupload take down?

As the Zen Master says, "We'll see."
METALFumasu
I get the feeling that Hollywood's shitting bricks about now, and that the DOJ is uselessly trying to figure out how to pin this to Dotcom (they've already claimed it's a violation of his bail, but that hasn't been working.... ever since he announced this).

The bigger question is this: Will the new Mega try to resurrect the program that was supposed to cut out the industry middlemen (RIAA), and let the artists keep a bigger share of the profits that Dotcom was boasting about just before the Megaupload take down?

As the Zen Master says, "We'll see."

You're talking about Megabox. And yes, that's still in the works

This entire thing was a mess. The DOJ has been ******** up at every single turn. Piracy or not, I'm glad Kim Dotcom is doing so well. We needed someone to show the world how corrupt things are
Mega is a hella lame name. I'd call it MegaDefiance or something like that.

Time-traveling Senshi

You look at some of the comments by people on all of this and they're in a stick it to the man frame of mind, with the man being both the Justice Department and Dropbox. They honestly think he can singlehandedly take down Dropbox. The thing is, you go into both the App Store and the Google shop and look at any productivity app and almost all of them have Dropbox integration for saving and sharing files. Dropbox use will not stop just because he's back in business. App makers are not going to do integration with a site that could possibly be dealing in illegal downloads and then risk having a part of their app suddenly not work because the service was pulled from the web. They're going to go with what they know plays by the rules and is not under investigation by the Justice Department.

I'm sorry but unless he's truly changed his ways and is going the legit route like Dropbox I will never believe he knows how to play by the rules and do things legitimately. All he's doing is looking for another way to build another illegally gained library of music and movies again.

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Can't really blame the DOJ for going after Kim Dotcom - at least not in terms of strategy. If you're going to cling to an old mode of thinking, you may as well single out the least sympathetic douchebag imaginable.
Chibi Halo
          You look at some of the comments by people on all of this and they're in a stick it to the man frame of mind, with the man being both the Justice Department and Dropbox. They honestly think he can singlehandedly take down Dropbox. The thing is, you go into both the App Store and the Google shop and look at any productivity app and almost all of them have Dropbox integration for saving and sharing files. Dropbox use will not stop just because he's back in business. App makers are not going to do integration with a site that could possibly be dealing in illegal downloads and then risk having a part of their app suddenly not work because the service was pulled from the web. They're going to go with what they know plays by the rules and is not under investigation by the Justice Department.

I'm sorry but unless he's truly changed his ways and is going the legit route like Dropbox I will never believe he knows how to play by the rules and do things legitimately. All he's doing is looking for another way to build another illegally gained library of music and movies again.

Except for the fact that Dropbox and MegaUpload are completely different. Dropbox is a cloud service. MegaUpload was a filesharing service. It's not about one doing something legally and one not. It's that they're completely different. With Dropbox you share files with yourself. With MegaUpload you could share files with everyone.

Now if we're talking about legality, MegaUpload did nothing wrong if you go by the letter of the law. They, just like sites such as Youtube, would take down any copyright material that was reported. That is all, legally, that they were required to do. And yet the DOJ went after them for copyright infringement. If it is determined that the site that the copyright material is hosted on is liable for copyright infringement you bet your a** Youtube is going to disappear as well as a variety of other sites where users can upload content. Though the lawsuit is actually about if he allowed copyright material or even encouraged it. Which is still bullshit honestly. The DOJ is overstepping drastically.
it didn't look significantly different from a Yahoo Briefcase - Cloud Computing hybrid. I personally think if you are not using materials for profit, then you should be able to sue the entertainment industry for harassment.
Heimdalr
I suppose some convoluted out-lawyering will ensure this gets shut down as arbitrarily as the first. Third time's the charm, though.
Fortunately the hosting of Mega is less centralized, hopefully largely decentralized, making a forceful takedown more difficult. That said, if the service is still centrally controlled, Kim Dotcom may be subject to rubber hose cryptography of sorts.

Time-traveling Senshi

Mei tsuki7
Chibi Halo

Except for the fact that Dropbox and MegaUpload are completely different. Dropbox is a cloud service. MegaUpload was a filesharing service. It's not about one doing something legally and one not. It's that they're completely different. With Dropbox you share files with yourself. With MegaUpload you could share files with everyone.

Now if we're talking about legality, MegaUpload did nothing wrong if you go by the letter of the law. They, just like sites such as Youtube, would take down any copyright material that was reported. That is all, legally, that they were required to do. And yet the DOJ went after them for copyright infringement. If it is determined that the site that the copyright material is hosted on is liable for copyright infringement you bet your a** Youtube is going to disappear as well as a variety of other sites where users can upload content. Though the lawsuit is actually about if he allowed copyright material or even encouraged it. Which is still bullshit honestly. The DOJ is overstepping drastically.

Right, but when you look at the new Mega stuff they're talking about file storage space and other similar things that Dropbox does. People commenting on those news stories on this think the new Mega is exactly like Dropbox and therefore it can take down Dropbox.

Chibi Halo
Mei tsuki7
Chibi Halo

Right, but when you look at the new Mega stuff they're talking about file storage space and other similar things that Dropbox does. People commenting on those news stories on this think the new Mega is exactly like Dropbox and therefore it can take down Dropbox.

It's Dropbox + more basically. You can store files but you can also share them. The sharing bit is the big point of Mega as it was of MegaUpload. The point of Dropbox is to be able to access your files from any computer. The point of MegaUpload was to share your files. Or at least that's what most people used it for. My point is that it's not that Dropbox is legal and Mega isn't. It's that Mega is more than what Dropbox is and the parts that are more, the sharing, is where the legal issue came from.
Origin of Wealth
Sauce

So as of today, Kim Dotcom has launched his new site Mega, a year after the take down of the MegaUpload. Politically, this has been a disaster for the government of New Zealand and embarrassment for US officials, but will this debacle actually end political careers in the near future?

Secondly, I am curious how to the FBI and other groups will respond to this and will they make an effort to shut down the new site.

I guess we'll see in time how this unfolds.

Black-masked anonymous goons will kick his door in at four in the morning and have him locked up somewhere.
Noogie
Considering all of these file sharing sites had the ability to report infringing files, I don't think they're (or rather, should be) as criminally liable as ISPs.

I'm sick of closed door meetings between the industry and government, this affects us too. Cunts.

The RIAA had motive to call in a hit on Megaupload.

The government is going to do what it wants to do, though. Nothing you can do about it short of a new government.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff