Welcome to Gaia! ::

Perfect Hunter

9,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
Well, not quite, but close enough for me.

BBC News
Medvedev Blasts Romney for 'Number-One Foe' Remark

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has rebuked US presidential hopeful Mitt Romney for saying Russia is the "number one geopolitical foe" of the US.

Mr Romney made the comments while criticising President Barack Obama for appearing to suggest a future deal with Russia on the issue of missile defence.

Mr Medvedev said Mr Romney's comments "smelled of Hollywood" and advised him to "use his head".

Moscow has long opposed US plans for a missile defence system in Europe.

In remarks caught by TV cameras on Monday during a summit in Seoul, Mr Obama had appeared to suggest to Mr Medvedev that he would have more "flexibility" on difficult issues such as missile defence after November's US presidential election.

In an interview with CNN, Mr Romney had called Mr Obama's remarks "alarming" and "troubling".

"If he's planning on doing more and suggests to Russia that he has things he's willing to do with them, he's not willing to tell the American people - this is to Russia, this is, without question, our number one geopolitical foe," Mr Romney said.

In response, Mr Medvedev said: "I recommend that all US presidential candidates... do at least two things: that they use their head and consult their reason when they formulate their positions, and that they check the time - it is now 2012, not the mid-1970s.

"As for ideological cliches, I always get nervous when one side or the other starts using phrases such as 'enemy number one' and so on."

Moscow is used to being singled out as "the wicked witch of the east" by American politicians, says the BBC's Steve Rosenberg in Moscow.

US President Ronald Reagan once described the Soviet Union as "the evil empire".

Article

Putting aside Medvedev's long-time puppet status at the head of a genuinely awful country, I simply must applaud him for saying what I've wanted to say to Romney, and the rest of the GOP hopefuls, since the beginning of the process. Nice one, brah.
actually though, Romney is absolutely correct
Russia is still the CURRENT number 1 threat to us, with China closing the gap. As such, we should not compromise our protection against them

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Thread title of the year, 10/10 would EDP again.
agrab0ekim
Russia is still the CURRENT number 1 threat to us, with China closing the gap. As such, we should not compromise our protection against them

Meh, China's economy is technically a house of cards so you don't really need to worry about them so much. Give them time and the house will fall.

Russia isn't really that much of a threat though.
I mean, it's not like we're in the Cold War anymore. The Communists are pretty much gone and there isn't any grande ideological battle to be fought so it's just kinda "meh".

I mean what, are we going to have Crony Capitalism Vs Crony Capitalism here? Oh No!!! Save the Children!

These days the thing which is the threat are the crazys with a bomb not the Russians. Russia isn't crazy and there's nothing to really fight about anymore since that died over 20 years ago.

Right now the new shtick is Western Ideals Vs Middle Eastern Ideals as it were.
Not Commies Vs Capitalists.

6,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Romney: Will force spiders and badgers on the enemy, and get em all to shut up.
agrab0ekim

You're one huge ********' retard, dawg.
Wraith of Azrael

Meh, China's economy is technically a house of cards so you don't really need to worry about them so much.

What? Unlike the American Housing Market *of Cards* that no longer exists?

Perfect Hunter

9,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
Complex Systems

Romney: Will force spiders and badgers on the enemy, and get em all to shut up.

Hey.

Thank you for the bench.

Don't commit suicide.
agrab0ekim

So I was right all along. You are an idiot.
In a related story, Romney thinks it's still the cold war.

Dangerous Seeker

Less Than Liz
agrab0ekim

I wonder why no one is talking about what Obama said. the part about this is his last election and then he can do more of what he want to do.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
I'm so tired of the bullshit "theater missile defense" idea. It's a real "cross of iron" concept.
Director Danguy
Less Than Liz

QFT.

Anyway, before Romney gets wrapped up in a war of words with Medvedev, he needs to defeat his current number one enemy: That moronic-spawn-of-a-scumball Santorum.

But seriously, can we get over this whole "missile defense shield against the Russians" concept. There's this country south of Russia that owns a lot of the US debt, and is trying to become a superpower. China ring any bells?

Ignoring the stability of China's economy for a moment, I think that China is currently the more aggressive opponent (ex: their claim to pretty much the entire ******** South China Sea). Russia, by comparison, is at least a little more subtle about things.

Sure, I think Russia has the potential to rise back up to Cold War-era political strength and regain its superpower status in the future (and with Putin at the helm, it's more likely that it will happen). But for the moment, China's definitely the greater potential threat.

So who will end up as the United States "number one geopolitical foe" in the near future?

The Zen Master says, "We'll see."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces