Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wendigo
We do know the name of one victim of Columbine - Cassie Bernall, whose parents started "Because She Said Yes" Ministries under the erroneous belief that she was the girl asked whether she believes in God. (It turned out that the girl was misidentified by another student who had been hiding in the library; it's Valeen Schnurr * who is not a household name.)

I've seen this quote reported in only one actual media outlet, that being the Examiner, in which some gullible shithead reproduced it from a blog. There is literally zero chance that this quote was actually written by Morgan Freeman - a big celebrity making a public statement, through the media, about a current event the media loves to talk about? Get real. It was written by somebody who despises the media and loves guns.

What in the hell in that post is even gun friendly? If anything, it brings to the forefront that the victims should be honored, rather than everyone talking about that POS shooter.
Mimetic Hybrid
azulmagia
Mimetic Hybrid
azulmagia
Mimetic Hybrid
azulmagia

His etiology has no support behind it, and even if it did, how would such a problem be solved?

It would appear that see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. Without being subjected to this, I'm curious if the thought would never have crossed an individuals mind.

Why shouldn't it? There's a gun, here's a psychotic, what the ******** do we need the media for? You think people don't have imagination?

You think someone could imagine something he hasn't been subjected towards in some form or another?

You think someone couldn't? rolleyes

Not really. Looking at nature vs nurture, an individual who hasn't been subjected to certain methods in some form wouldn't contemplate the interaction. A child that is only presented with silence won't imagine speech. In order to have such dark desires one must have negative influences in their life.

That's a fallacy. While it isn't exactly the norm, there's been more than one serial killer/mass murderer who had what would considered 'happy' lives, and still went on to commit atrocities.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Old Blue Collar Joe
What in the hell in that post is even gun friendly? If anything, it brings to the forefront that the victims should be honored, rather than everyone talking about that POS shooter.
Way I saw it, he was blaming the "sensationalist media" "treating shooters like celebrities" for the continued occurrence of shootings, because "disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news."

That being the case!

He then goes on, in his concluding statement, to say that we shouldn't "point to gun control as the problem."

Hence media bad, guns good. Because the media reports on it when it's happened, it happens.

GunsmithKitten

Once again, Morgan Freeman proves why he's awesome and why I respect him more than anyone else in the industry.
Y'all gullible. Freeman did not say it:

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/newtown-school-shootings-morgan-freeman-says-statement-was-hoax-69536

He also considers the Tea Party to be racists, btw. The "weak underbelly of American politics" iirc.
Wendigo
Old Blue Collar Joe
Way I saw it, he was blaming the "sensationalist media" "treating shooters like celebrities" for the continued occurrence of shootings, because "disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news."

That being the case!

He then goes on, in his concluding statement, to say that we shouldn't "point to gun control as the problem."

Hence media bad, guns good. Because the media reports on it when it's happened, it happens.

GunsmithKitten

Once again, Morgan Freeman proves why he's awesome and why I respect him more than anyone else in the industry.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/newtown-school-shootings-morgan-freeman-says-statement-was-hoax-69536

He also considers the Tea Party to be racists, btw. The "weak underbelly of American politics" iirc.

I was aware that Freeman didn't say it. That was debunked by Snopes relatively quickly.

On the issue of turning them into a celebrity? Yeah, the media does tend to do that to the shooters. They gloss over the victims, but spend enormous effort uncovering every detail of the shooter's life, pretty much like they go after Beiber and all the other worthless celebrities out there.
The victims? Strangely, most everyone can name the VT shooter. How many can name a victim of him? Columbine? Any of these shootings? The victims vanish. Just another meaningless statistic. But the shooters...THEY will be remembered, and that is really a** backwards.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Pretty obvious why there's so much speculation about shooters and so little about victims; going about your daily life and being shot in the face does not entail any kind of mystery. People remember d**k Cheney and forget Harry Whittington, too.

And I already named two victims of Columbine right here in this thread, Joe.
Wendigo
Pretty obvious why there's so much speculation about shooters and so little about victims; going about your daily life and being shot in the face does not entail any kind of mystery. People remember d**k Cheney and forget Harry Whittington, too.

And I already named two victims of Columbine right here in this thread, Joe.

Not my point. You're an abnormality. Most can't. I don't even remark on the d**k Cheney issue because it was an accident. Had he ran into the duck blind blasting on purpose, I'd be concerned about it.
Morgan Freeman is actually anti-gun, just a heads up. He didn't write this. But it is a nice little speech. The real problem is the brain defect the child suffered from allowed him to grow up into a monster. You know when you watch a movie, the way you stop the monster is by killing them. In a horror film, you have to kill the bad guy, or they get a sequel. The real horror films are what happens when no one tries to stop them. We need to abolish these no gun zones, they are too easily victimized by monsters.

Aged Lunatic

Wendigo

A pity. I still ike the man though.

And I hate the Tea Party also, albeit not for any percieved 'racism'.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Rly though, it's like when people attribute sarcastic screeds which are neither clever nor funny to George Carlin, or quotes about this or that form of tyranny to Thomas Jefferson or Benjamin Franklin, because they know that nobody's actually going to look it up. That would take skepticism and discernment.
Dysia
Morgan Freeman is actually anti-gun, just a heads up. He didn't write this. But it is a nice little speech. The real problem is the brain defect the child suffered from allowed him to grow up into a monster. You know when you watch a movie, the way you stop the monster is by killing them. In a horror film, you have to kill the bad guy, or they get a sequel. The real horror films are what happens when no one tries to stop them. We need to abolish these no gun zones, they are too easily victimized by monsters.

Yeah...I get a kick out of those anti-gun types. Tell them to fire their armed security, then they'll get some credibility.

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
GunsmithKitten
Once again, Morgan Freeman proves why he's awesome and why I respect him more than anyone else in the industry. And I'm not sure it's the "give them ideas" argument so much as "Hey, these guys got notoriety!!" and our culture's edict of "you're nobody till you're on TV".

He is indeed awesome, but he did not say this.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/morgan-freeman-denies-making-statement-school-shooting-013627371.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/12/17/morgan-freeman-hoax.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/morgan-freeman-didn-write-anti-media-diatribe-article-1.1221958

Hallowed Hunter

Wendigo
Mimetic Hybrid

It would appear that see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. Without being subjected to this, I'm curious if the thought would never have crossed an individuals mind.
Well, let's see.

When Jack the Ripper terrorized the prostitutes of Whitechapel, television still wouldn't be invented for 61 years. So I'mma say yes, people can think of horrible things themselves and then do them.

He was a serial killer. They're a different kind of monster.

But even without TV, notoriety was no less a motivation. There were plenty of other ways for news to spread.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Dardanos Immortalis
Wendigo
Mimetic Hybrid

Well, let's see.

When Jack the Ripper terrorized the prostitutes of Whitechapel, television still wouldn't be invented for 61 years. So I'mma say yes, people can think of horrible things themselves and then do them.

He was a serial killer. They're a different kind of monster.
Man born of woman is of few days and full of trouble.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff