• Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
METALFumasu
Less Than Liz
METALFumasu
So there's a Mexican Jack Thompson?

New Mexico is still....I mean...dude..

*re-reads article*

I stand corrected. (That's what I get for not getting enough sleep yesterday...)

Way to take our states, Mexico. I GUESS OUR JOBS WEREN'T GOOD ENOUGH.
Steam Punk Adept
LightWarrior
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/22/16643356-new-mexico-teen-accused-of-family-slaughter-loved-violent-video-games-police-say?lite

So yeah after a few years of what I call "quiet" people are screaming bloody murder again for the video games made me do it, is rearing it's ugly head again.
Often, the ones blaming violent games and whatnot are the ones who scream loudest and most adamantly against gun regulations. They ignore the real problem, and attack things they don't like instead.
3nodding
Steam Punk Adept
LightWarrior
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/22/16643356-new-mexico-teen-accused-of-family-slaughter-loved-violent-video-games-police-say?lite

So yeah after a few years of what I call "quiet" people are screaming bloody murder again for the video games made me do it, is rearing it's ugly head again.
Often, the ones blaming violent games and whatnot are the ones who scream loudest and most adamantly against gun regulations. They ignore the real problem, and attack things they don't like instead.

One side wants my guns, the other side wants my games. Form a line and kiss my a** on both fronts.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
If violent video games caused violence in teens and young adults, I'd have started shooting at people and battling wild boars a long time ago.

But no, I'm a perfectly sane 17 yr-old that has ADHD and an anxiety disorder. You know, typical modern teen. Violent video games help me vent my anger anyways, not make me want to carry it out IRL. I just imagine I'm killing/shooting at whatever it is that's made me angry.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Honey of the South
I just imagine I'm killing/shooting at whatever it is that's made me angry.
I do believe it's this idea that bothers people.

Not that I don't agree that video games, violent or otherwise, offer an outlet for negative feelings rather than exacerbating them.

Tipsy Trader

8,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Clambake 200
HMS Thunder Child
METALFumasu

*sigh* And this comes right on the heels of Obama telling the CDC to do a study on the effects violent video games have on kid's minds.

And then there's things like this.

And people say that video games aren't being scapegoated anymore...

How will video games suffer from this bullshit?

As the Zen Master says, "We'll see."
[Informative]

Violent video games do have an effect on kids' development, as do violent TV shows, movies, et cetera.

That does not mean that they are the only thing that should be looked into, however.
Rubbish.

Tipsy Trader

8,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Clambake 200
Quote:
ESRB ratings: Mature.

For the uninitiated, mature ratings recommend 17+ and most chains require a showing of ID by the purchaser. I'm twenty-six and, all joking aside, still get ID'd for my games.

That's a thing? I certainly haven't heard of that before. Although to be honest, I mainly purchase games through online services such as steam.

Magical Girl

Origin of Wealth
HMS Thunder Child
METALFumasu

*sigh* And this comes right on the heels of Obama telling the CDC to do a study on the effects violent video games have on kid's minds.

[Informative]

Violent video games do have an effect on kids' development, as do violent TV shows, movies, et cetera.

That does not mean that they are the only thing that should be looked into, however.
Rubbish.
[Annoyed]

I'd have to dig up the source, but a study was done where kids watched a ninety minute violent movie and they tested their conflict resolution afterwards. The control group was much less likely to resort to violence.

Beyond that, if kids grow up watching or playing violent material, what do you think they'll turn out like? Environment does effect childhood development.
washu_2004
You can bet the NRA will pay their lapdog politicians to ban computer games just to deflect the blame on to something else except guns... again.

This has nothing to do with video games, guns, spoons or pencils. It has everything to do with the mental health of people.
Proper training in handling of firearms, people having two ounces of common ******** sense on the securing of them (I have yet to buy a firearm without a trigger lock), and the maturity to realize that...blaming OBJECTS for people's psychotic s**t is like blaming Playboy for rape.

Magical Girl

Old Blue Collar Joe
washu_2004
You can bet the NRA will pay their lapdog politicians to ban computer games just to deflect the blame on to something else except guns... again.

This has nothing to do with video games, guns, spoons or pencils. It has everything to do with the mental health of people.
Proper training in handling of firearms, people having two ounces of common ******** sense on the securing of them (I have yet to buy a firearm without a trigger lock), and the maturity to realize that...blaming OBJECTS for people's psychotic s**t is like blaming Playboy for rape.
[Annoyed]

Most unlawful discharges are from otherwise sane people. While the mass killings tend to be orchestrated by mentally ill people, the majority of everyday shootings are not, if we consider the base line.
HMS Thunder Child
Old Blue Collar Joe
washu_2004

[Annoyed]

Most unlawful discharges are from otherwise sane people. While the mass killings tend to be orchestrated by mentally ill people, the majority of everyday shootings are not, if we consider the base line.

If you consider the baseline most killings are orchestrated by gangbangers and other such s**t bags.
The solution isn't touchy feely legislation that accomplishes nothing, but actually thinking about what needs to be done, which is harsher sentences for the criminal element rather than handing out lollipops and hugs for violence.
Apparently Senator Charles Grassley thinks that the video game industry needs "MOAR RAEGULATSHUN".

I think needs to remind the dear senator that a) video games are protected under the first amendment, and b) The video game industry's been able to regulate itself just fine without any government meddling.

I'll even go far as to claim that the video game industry is the best modern example of the free market running efficiently without government interference. The ESRB rating system is completely voluntary, and has allowed the industry to self-regulate without any need for government involvement. Video games =/= cigarettes, or alchol, or even marijuana. The last thing that the public needs is some unnecessary red tape for being able to buy a video game.

What are they gonna do? Make Daddy criminally liable for buying little 13 year old Johnny Call of Duty: Beat That Dead Horse 6, and revoke the license from GameBuy where Dad bought this "celebration of mass killing" vidja game, and arrest the sales clerk who was behind the register at the time, just because an M rated game found its way into the hands of some kid?

Don't tell this senator about all those indie games you can find online these days, or else he'll really lose it.
19 yr old Political Geek
Apparently Senator Charles Grassley thinks that the video game industry needs "MOAR RAEGULATSHUN".

What are they gonna do? Make Daddy criminally liable for buying little 13 year old Johnny Call of Duty: Beat That Dead Horse 6, and revoke the license from GameBuy where Dad bought this "celebration of mass killing" vidja game, and arrest the sales clerk who was behind the register at the time, just because an M rated game found its way into the hands of some kid?

Don't tell this senator about all those indie games you can find online these days, or else he'll really lose it.

lol'd at the Call of Duty bit. They really have been milking that franchise for far too long.

The Zen Master suggests we lock Senator Grassley in a pitch-dark room where his only light comes from a computer screen, and the only program that it will run is Slender (or Amnesia, depending on your preference).

Tipsy Trader

8,550 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Clambake 200
HMS Thunder Child
Origin of Wealth
HMS Thunder Child
METALFumasu

[Informative]

Rubbish.
[Annoyed]

I'd have to dig up the source, but a study was done where kids watched a ninety minute violent movie and they tested their conflict resolution afterwards. The control group was much less likely to resort to violence.

Beyond that, if kids grow up watching or playing violent material, what do you think they'll turn out like? Environment does effect childhood development.
Until you show your evidence, your claim is valueless as I can claim there are studies that disprove your statement.

Magical Girl

Origin of Wealth
HMS Thunder Child
Origin of Wealth
HMS Thunder Child
METALFumasu

[Informative]

Rubbish.
[Annoyed]

Until you show your evidence, your claim is valueless as I can claim there are studies that disprove your statement.
[Skeptical]

Fair enough, though your seeming dismissal of nurture arguments is enough for me to consider it an entire waste of effort. I'll play, though, considering I haven't got anything better to do.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff