Welcome to Gaia! ::

2,550 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/22/16643356-new-mexico-teen-accused-of-family-slaughter-loved-violent-video-games-police-say?lite

So yeah after a few years of what I call "quiet" people are screaming bloody murder again for the video games made me do it, is rearing it's ugly head again.

Hilarious Prophet

Those things happen all the time.

Mega Noob

If we're going to talk hobbies, that kid was armed to the teeth. Taught to responsibly handle a firearm, probably from a young age.

Witty Genius

9,000 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
LightWarrior
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/22/16643356-new-mexico-teen-accused-of-family-slaughter-loved-violent-video-games-police-say?lite

So yeah after a few years of what I call "quiet" people are screaming bloody murder again for the video games made me do it, is rearing it's ugly head again.
Often, the ones blaming violent games and whatnot are the ones who scream loudest and most adamantly against gun regulations. They ignore the real problem, and attack things they don't like instead.

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Let's take a look at this for a moment:

Quote:
Nehemiah Griego was being held without bail in a juvenile facility as authorities revealed that he was “unemotional” when talking about the massacre but perked up when he talked about his love of violent games, including “Modern Warfare” and “Grand Theft Auto.”

ESRB ratings: Mature.

For the uninitiated, mature ratings recommend 17+ and most chains require a showing of ID by the purchaser. I'm twenty-six and, all joking aside, still get ID'd for my games.

Quote:
A 15-year-old video-game fanatic accused of killing his parents and three younger siblings because he was mad at his mom will be tried as an adult, a New Mexico prosecutor announced Tuesday.

Sounds like bad parenting and lack of personal responsibility of the parents.

This isn't to say, of course, that the family deserves their death because of their poor oversight, or that the boy is absolved, but let's reflect, for a moment, on the fact that there was a plain ol' disclaimer saying the game wasn't for children and wonder why the ******** this kid was playing those games - so much so that by age fifteen they were his favorite (implying he had been playing them for some time.)

This is all assuming that "perking up" at the sound of a favorite hobby indicates causation rather than, well, the hobby of someone who is almost certainly a psychopath given his lack of emotion during preliminary interviews. Do video games make people psychopaths? Doubt it. Of the bazillion people playing video games, most are not psychopaths. More likely, this is just a psychopath who liked vidya.

But I understand that people of a certain generation are incapable of recognizing that a multitude of variables don't all indicate causation and instead need a scapegoat, absolving aaaaaalllll parties of accountability. The NRA will need someone to blame to take the heat off of gun control options, and Democrats from pro-gun states will blame video games so they can offer a justification for voting against legislation that doesn't include video game scrutiny. Whatevs.
It's weird because the New York Daily News is saying something else.

Quote:
Neighbors said they’d often seen Nehemiah walking around in Army fatigues. Local media said the home schooled teen wasn’t allowed to play video games, and that his family never let him watch violent shows on television.
So there's a Mexican Jack Thompson?

*sigh* And this comes right on the heels of Obama telling the CDC to do a study on the effects violent video games have on kid's minds.

And then there's things like this.

And people say that video games aren't being scapegoated anymore...

How will video games suffer from this bullshit?

As the Zen Master says, "We'll see."

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
METALFumasu

New Mexico is still....I mean...dude..
Because its never the fault of the person. Its either the gun's fault, or the fault of media (video games, music, television).

...people are so ******** stupid...

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
You can bet the NRA will pay their lapdog politicians to ban computer games just to deflect the blame on to something else except guns... again.

Dedicated Poster

7,775 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
This makes me want to grab a fistful of unsecured guns from my toddler's playpen and shoot up the nearest school in anger.

/sarcasm

Magical Girl

METALFumasu

*sigh* And this comes right on the heels of Obama telling the CDC to do a study on the effects violent video games have on kid's minds.

[Informative]

Violent video games do have an effect on kids' development, as do violent TV shows, movies, et cetera.

That does not mean that they are the only thing that should be looked into, however.

Hallowed Hunter

HMS Thunder Child
METALFumasu

[Informative]

Violent video games do have an effect on kids' development, as do violent TV shows, movies, et cetera.

That does not mean that they are the only thing that should be looked into, however.
HMS Thunder Child
METALFumasu

[Informative]

Every experience in a kid's life has an effect on his development

mindblowing, isn't it
Less Than Liz
METALFumasu

New Mexico is still....I mean...dude..

*re-reads article*

I stand corrected. (That's what I get for not getting enough sleep yesterday...)

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff