Welcome to Gaia! ::

Blessed Phantom

5,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
Lets face it, the atom bomb has changed the world. It is a weapon of incredible power, it can wipe an entire nation off the face of the earth. Many times through out human history, men have thought that a new weapon would make war so terrible, that people would stop fighting, but it wasn't until the atom bomb was invented that it would stop a war from starting. If it weren't for both the USA and Russia having the atom bomb a war would have certainly broken out.

In recent time a great struggle has started in the middle east when isreal with the backing of the usa and europe decided that they should have their ancient homeland back.

Since then they have stablized their nation and with the help of the USA have built a successful nation, as well as a nuclear program.

The problem is that power in the middle east is imbalenced. The arab nations of the middle east desperately need a way to bring about a balence of power and the solution is letting Iran get the bomb.

There are several reasons why iran getting the bomb would be benefical, First off history shows that when, a nation goes nuclear, other nations tend to back off. Take india and pakastan. Both nations hate each other over a hotly disputed province. As soon as both countries go nuclear, they are no longer eagar to go to war, and instead make a tenious peace treaty. Iran getting the bomb will accomplish the same thing. With the destruction of both nations looming over their heads, nether isreal or iran will be willing to do anything other than yell at each other in another language.

The fact is in the whole history of mankind, there has never been a nuclear war, and neither iran, isreal or usa is stupid enough to do something that will lead to the complete and utter destruction of both nations.

I'm so good I have already make counter arguments to what you may say

Wrong person 1: Iran is irrational and will use the bomb on isreal no matter what.

Me: Wrong, history shows, that once a nation gets nuclear power they become less daring. If anything they have every reason because the USA bullies them. Iran is building the bomb to protect them self from the usa, which may be smart considering the military might of the nation. Besides as said above using a bomb would just bring about the destuction of iran. No one is stupid enough to destory their own country.

Wrong person 2: Iran might give the weapon to terrorists.

Me: wrong. Once again the bomb is used to protect iran from outside forces, Not to fuel a terrorist attack. Al-quada is not more likely to get the bomb from iran more than they are going to get it from somewhere else. Besides once nuclear material falls into the hand of terrorists, there is no way to know where is will end up. Not all terrorist attacks happen in USA and its allys. It could happen in another middle east country.

Once again if an attack did happen it would result in the end of Iran, This is totally irrational to think.

Wrong person 3: If Iran goes nuclear other nations might too.
Me: Wrong. History shows that when one nation gets the bomb other nations don't. Just iran having the bomb would be enough, Other nations don't need to follow suit.

Wrong person 4: We can embargo iran. That will stop them from getting the bomb.
Me: Wrong. History shows that if a nation is belt on getting the bomb, isolating them from the world won't stop them. Look at north korea. They did it, and since then the tension between north and south has cooled off.

The bottom line is that americans need to realize that having another nuclear armed nation would be a good thing. There is a history of nations becomming more peaceful when they go nuclear and there is no history of an arms race beginning in neighboring nations if one country goes nuclear.

TLDR: Power in middle east is imbalanced. Iran getting the bomb fixes this.
You are correct, it DOES fix the imbalance in the Middle East - by completely removing one side of the equation
Iran getting the nuke results in no more Iran, nothing more, nothing less

Familiar Smoker

Goldgato

The problem is that power in the middle east is imbalenced. The arab nations of the middle east desperately need a way to bring about a balence of power and the solution is letting Iran get the bomb.

Iran isn't an Arab nation. The official language in Iran is Persian, not Arabic, they are not a member of the Arab League, and Arabs are one of the smallest ethnic groups in Iran, making up only about 2% of the population. As a matter of fact the Arab League opposes the Iranian nuclear program to the point where they have stated that they would support US strike against Iran, should it be necessary. Arab countries in the region don't want this, which kinda makes your central argument go pear shaped.

Edit: it may also be important to note that Iran is primarily Shi'a (about 90% Shi'a), where as the vast majority of the rest of the Islamic world is Sunni...Yeah, the two REALLY don't like each other.

Blessed Phantom

5,600 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Friendly 100
TANRailgun
Goldgato

Iran isn't an Arab nation. The official language in Iran is Persian, not Arabic, they are not a member of the Arab League, and Arabs are one of the smallest ethnic groups in Iran, making up only about 2% of the population. As a matter of fact the Arab League opposes the Iranian nuclear program to the point where they have stated that they would support US strike against Iran, should it be necessary. Arab countries in the region don't want this, which kinda makes your central argument go pear shaped.

Edit: it may also be important to note that Iran is primarily Shi'a (about 90% Shi'a), where as the vast majority of the rest of the Islamic world is Sunni...Yeah, the two REALLY don't like each other.

I didn't say that Iran is Arab or that the Arab nations would like Iran having the bomb, just that it would help create a balance of power that would work towards stabilizing the Arab nations (in addition to Iran).
agrab0ekim
You are correct, it DOES fix the imbalance in the Middle East - by completely removing one side of the equation

A land war in Asia.

What could POSSIBLY go wrong?!
azulmagia
agrab0ekim

A land war in Asia.

Land war?
agrab0ekim
azulmagia
agrab0ekim

A land war in Asia.

Land war?

Yeah, land war. One of the classic blunders.

And if Iran gets the nuke, I don't see how the "no more Iran" comes in. Since the entire point of a nuke is deterence.

Also, I see no real problems with Goldgato's points. Except point 3.

Of course, this thread is based on the premise that Iran is working on a bomb, which is not exactly proven.

Familiar Smoker

Goldgato
TANRailgun
Goldgato

I didn't say that Iran is Arab or that the Arab nations would like Iran having the bomb, just that it would help create a balance of power that would work towards stabilizing the Arab nations (in addition to Iran).
Except not, Iran doesn't have many friends in the region, and many of their neighbors have stated that if Iran gets a bomb, they will make one too (some have already begun the preliminary research). This isnt a "I want one too" kinda thing, it's more of a "if those crazy bastards get the bomb we'd better get one too if we stand a chance of defending ourselves" kinda thing.

Nations in the region don't want Iran getting the bomb because the truth of the matter is, things are actually really stable as it is in most Middle Eastern countries, at least when it comes to international relations. Sure there is the odd exception, but on the whole, things are more peaceful than they've been in a long time, and Iran getting the bomb is a MAJOR threat to that stability.

I can guarantee that if Iran gets a bomb, or even gets CLOSE to a bomb, it will mean war. How does that help bring stability to the region?
TANRailgun
Goldgato
TANRailgun
Goldgato

Except not, Iran doesn't have many friends in the region, and many of their neighbors have stated that if Iran gets a bomb, they will make one too (some have already begun the preliminary research). This isnt a "I want one too" kinda thing, it's more of a "if those crazy bastards get the bomb we'd better get one too if we stand a chance of defending ourselves" kinda thing.

The Zen Master says, "Who's Next?"
It's already been pointed out that it's the Western assumption that Iran is making a nuke....

That being said, even then it makes sense for Iran to get a nuclear weapon.

It makes sense for Iran to get a nuclear weapon because Israel has had nuclear weapons since the 1960s.

The real major threat (at least as I've seen) to Iran has predominately been Israel over the last couple of years. The reason of course, is that Israel has this tendency to threaten Iran if they don't shut down their nuclear facilities and Iran has this tendency to threaten to attack if they are attacked.

But yea....

As their real competition is Israel and as Israel is not part of the IAEA it makes absolute complete sense for Iran to develop a nuclear weapon as it's something that Israel has had since the 1960s

Hallowed Hunter

Here's a though. Give ME all the nukes and if you don't make peace and get along, I'll blow you ALL into oblivion. pirate

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff