Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kia Eriks
/I don't necessarily support terrorism. It's more of I support unity of an island that's been split into two because the British empire sees it fit. I couldn't tell you why anybody would want to stay within the holdings of the UK, but I'm sure they have their reasons. It just seems foolish that a geographic border would exist in such a location.

Sorry if it seems like I'm spouting nonsense left and right, but, as I said, I'm an 18 year old American. I'd love to actually visit Ireland here in the coming years, but I couldn't tell you one bit about why things are like they are. I follow the Sinn Fein every so often, so it's not like I don't pick up pieces of the conflict. But I'm just putting my two cents forward, even though they're probably not worth half a pence.

What British Empire?

It's part of the UK, it's not an Overseas Territory or Protectorate. NI has been effectively British since before the era of imperialist colonisation.
Invictus_88
Kia Eriks
Quote:
dio777
Kia Eriks
/As a liberal by all definition of the word, it seems weird to say that I support the Republicans in Ireland.

Of course, that's just the American stylization wearing on me. Stupid propaganda, with its asses and pachyderms...
As a Liberal its not that odd for you to support the Republicans. It is curious that you support terrorism.

/I don't necessarily support terrorism. It's more of I support unity of an island that's been split into two because the British empire sees it fit. I couldn't tell you why anybody would want to stay within the holdings of the UK, but I'm sure they have their reasons. It just seems foolish that a geographic border would exist in such a location.

Sorry if it seems like I'm spouting nonsense left and right, but, as I said, I'm an 18 year old American. I'd love to actually visit Ireland here in the coming years, but I couldn't tell you one bit about why things are like they are. I follow the Sinn Fein every so often, so it's not like I don't pick up pieces of the conflict. But I'm just putting my two cents forward, even though they're probably not worth half a pence.

What British Empire?

It's part of the UK, it's not an Overseas Territory or Protectorate. NI has been effectively British since before the era of imperialist colonisation.

NI is full of IRISH people. Not Brits. If you're IRISH then you're from IRELAND. There you go. Clear enough?
Learning To Live
Invictus_88
Kia Eriks

What British Empire?

NI is full of IRISH people. Not Brits. If you're IRISH then you're from IRELAND. There you go. Clear enough?

Wales is full of Welsh people, and Scotland full of Scots. Just as this doesn't stop them being part of the UK, nor does it stop Northern Ireland being part of the United Kingdom. They're all UK citizens.
Invictus_88
Learning To Live
Invictus_88
Kia Eriks

What British Empire?

Wales is full of Welsh people, and Scotland full of Scots. Just as this doesn't stop them being part of the UK, nor does it stop Northern Ireland being part of the United Kingdom. They're all UK citizens.

Sad but true. But those two haven't shown significant desire to be their own countries. North Ireland has.

7,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Apart from the 69% that still want the union...

Dapper Hunter

7,075 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Invictus_88
Learning To Live
Invictus_88
Kia Eriks

What British Empire?

/I suppose you are correct. They aren't really much of an empire nonetheless, but you're right that NI is actually part of the United Kingdom. Fully my mistake for a misuse of term.
And... yeah. He's kinda right, LTL. It may be full of Irish, but it still is technically part of the UK.
Kia Eriks
Invictus_88
Learning To Live
Invictus_88
Kia Eriks

What British Empire?

/I suppose you are correct. They aren't really much of an empire nonetheless, but you're right that NI is actually part of the United Kingdom. Fully my mistake for a misuse of term.
And... yeah. He's kinda right, LTL. It may be full of Irish, but it still is technically part of the UK.

it has been part of the UK since it was invaded and forcefully taken by the Brits.

Dapper Hunter

7,075 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Learning To Live
Kia Eriks
Invictus_88
Learning To Live
Invictus_88
Kia Eriks

What British Empire?

it has been part of the UK since it was invaded and forcefully taken by the Brits.

/Aye, it's sad to say that's the reason that they are part of the United Kingdom, but, as Dio has stated quite a few times, it is noted that a majority of the citizens desire to stay under the rule of the UK. Now, why this may be is anyone's guess. Fear-mongering, as some may assume, or not, it's really still NI's call. Either way, I could care very little.
I stand behind the IRA, but only because they stand for something righteous and just in my eyes: A united Ireland. Whether that is what is going to happen or not, I can not say. Either way, it has little to do with me, because most of the culture of Eire has fled to the west.
Kia Eriks
Learning To Live
Kia Eriks
Invictus_88
Learning To Live

/Aye, it's sad to say that's the reason that they are part of the United Kingdom, but, as Dio has stated quite a few times, it is noted that a majority of the citizens desire to stay under the rule of the UK. Now, why this may be is anyone's guess. Fear-mongering, as some may assume, or not, it's really still NI's call. Either way, I could care very little.
I stand behind the IRA, but only because they stand for something righteous and just in my eyes: A united Ireland. Whether that is what is going to happen or not, I can not say. Either way, it has little to do with me, because most of the culture of Eire has fled to the west.

The only reason I see most people supporting the union with the UK is that the only way of uniting Ireland that they've seen is violence.

Dapper Hunter

7,075 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
Learning To Live
Kia Eriks
Learning To Live
Kia Eriks
Invictus_88
Learning To Live

The only reason I see most people supporting the union with the UK is that the only way of uniting Ireland that they've seen is violence.

/Well, it does make quite a bit of sense, when you step back and examine it. For nearly a century now, Irishmen have been letting their guns do the talking when it came to the unification. I think one of the hardest things was the whole idea of adapting to a social approach. To look at it this way, the Republic of Ireland gained its independence in early '22, directly after the Irish War of Independence. However, the British continued to hold colonies for nearly three decades. (India did not gain total independence until 1950.) For those near-thirty years, it just continued to show that the British had no reason to actually give up any claims.
Another reason, I would also assume, is that the Irish themselves are attempting a sort of "fear-mongering" relationship with the North Irish. In '22, when the Constitution was ratified, Northern Ireland had the choice to remain under British rule or join the Republic. So, it could be assumed that the Irish are attempting a form of a faux kidnapping.

Just a different point of view...
Learning To Live
Invictus_88
Learning To Live
Invictus_88
Kia Eriks

What British Empire?

Sad but true. But those two haven't shown significant desire to be their own countries. North Ireland* has.

As with Scotland and Wales, Northern Ireland also has a minority support for full independence from the Union. None of them have a majority support, and most have only very low support for such a thing.

Given that you can't even get it's name* right, I think your claim to much knowledge on the matter is undermined.
Learning To Live
Kia Eriks
Invictus_88
Learning To Live
Invictus_88
Kia Eriks

What British Empire?

That happened before the foundation of your country, whilst Galileo was still publishing and Shakespeare produced cutting-edge modern theatre. It was settled by English and Scots, and for now it prefers to remain a part of the United Kingdom.

For an American of all people to take a hard line on that issue betrays rank hypocrisy.
Kia Eriks
Learning To Live
Kia Eriks
Invictus_88
Learning To Live

/Aye, it's sad to say that's the reason that they are part of the United Kingdom, but, as Dio has stated quite a few times, it is noted that a majority of the citizens desire to stay under the rule of the UK. Now, why this may be is anyone's guess(1). Fear-mongering, as some may assume, or not, it's really still NI's call. Either way, I could care very little.
I stand behind the IRA(2), but only because they stand for something righteous and just in my eyes: A united Ireland. Whether that is what is going to happen or not, I can not say. Either way, it has little to do with me, because most of the culture of Eire has fled to the west(3).

1. Maybe the same reason people in any other part of the UK choose it - because it's what they are.
2. You stupid b*****d.
3. Don't think you'd find many Irish who agree with you there.
Invictus_88

1. Maybe the same reason people in any other part of the UK choose it - because it's what they are.
2. You stupid b*****d.

NI never CHOSE to be a part of the UK, the alternative given after the Irish won partial independence was "immediate and terrible war", that hasn't changed since. Those polls are simply the pragmatic responses of those who would rather remain in the union than try to win their freedom against the British army, we've seen how those vicious bastards work in NI before. A lot of people want none of it.
Redem
Invictus_88

2. You stupid b*****d.

NI never CHOSE to be a part of the UK, the alternative given after the Irish won partial independence was "immediate and terrible war", that hasn't changed since. Those polls are simply the pragmatic responses of those who would rather remain in the union than try to win their freedom against the British army, we've seen how those vicious bastards work in NI before. A lot of people want none of it.

Nor did England, Scotland, or Wales. We just evolved that way, and continue to assent to it.

The people of those countries do not use it to excuse terrorism, nor do the vast majority of people in NI and the RoI. It tends to be only from the US that one frequently hears support voiced for those terrorists. Ludicrous.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff