Lies, Brit. Lies.
Then let's see what happens
God Emperor Akhenaton
Learning To Live
God Emperor Akhenaton
SAS>IRA

Lies, Brit. Lies.

Ok, lets. The UDF has done more damage to the IRA than the SAS.

Beloved Prophet

Learning To Live
God Emperor Akhenaton
Learning To Live
God Emperor Akhenaton
SAS>IRA

Lies, Brit. Lies.

Ok, lets. The UDF has done more damage to the IRA than the SAS.

I wonder how much funding, training, and weapons the UDF get from the state.
The rose in spring
Amongst_many
The rose in spring
Lieutenant_Charon
The rose in spring

A tiny fraction? Christianity is a lot larger than Islam and they aren't nearly as violent. And I starting to not believe that they are a minority.

So the ethnic cleansing in Bosnia doesn't count, or something?

Or the Christian militants in Lebannon?

Or the dozens of radical groups that exist across the world, who engage in violent acts every day, from every religion.

And of course, it's all purely religiously motivated, nothing at all to do with history and colonialism and the like.

There were what? 30,000 in Bosnia? How about the 1,000,000 in the Iraqi civil war? What about Rwanda and Kashmir?

Oh yeah? Well Christians did WWI and WWII, beat that

That really isn't as modern as what's happening now.

But this is...

Aged Lunatic

Quote:

I just hope they stick to military targets this time, leaving civies alone.

Do they honestly have a history of EVER leaving civvies alone?
GunsmithKitten
Quote:

I just hope they stick to military targets this time, leaving civies alone.

Do they honestly have a history of EVER leaving civvies alone?

Oh my... in another one of my threads to harass my viewpoints, I see?
Though I am of Irish heritage and a proud Catholic, I cannot support the resurgence of the IRA.

You'll probably disagree, but one of the reasons that the IRA lost a lot of steam in the past few years was 9/11. Why? Because terrorism stopped being cute. You claim that the IRA does not target civilians. Define civilian! Are british pencil-pushers civilians? Police?

In addition, do you know how much money Ireland makes annually on tourism? Look it up. I promise that an increase in violence would slash those numbers way, way down.

I sympathize with the Irish. I really do. In this modern age, is violence really necessary to negotiate a separation from Britain? I'd encourage non-violent protests, modeling say, India.
M3thod Mak3r
Though I am of Irish heritage and a proud Catholic, I cannot support the resurgence of the IRA.

You'll probably disagree, but one of the reasons that the IRA lost a lot of steam in the past few years was 9/11. Why? Because terrorism stopped being cute. You claim that the IRA does not target civilians. Define civilian! Are british pencil-pushers civilians? Police?

In addition, do you know how much money Ireland makes annually on tourism? Look it up. I promise that an increase in violence would slash those numbers way, way down.

I sympathize with the Irish. I really do. In this modern age, is violence really necessary to negotiate a separation from Britain? I'd encourage non-violent protests, modeling say, India.

I can see where you're coming from, but I'll clear some things up for you.
The IRA doesn't target any civilians on purpose. They may be collateral damage of a property attack, but it is never intended. Also, tourism to Ireland is tourism to the mainland most of the time. By that, I mean tourism to the hills and the beautiful areas, not segregated, impoverished cities like Armagh and Belfast. The thought that tourism to Ireland will stop with attacks in these cities is ludicrous. For the past several years we've been attempting to get it non-violently. Sinn Fein is desperate for any near victory. We've seen how non-violent protest works out in North Ireland (Bloody Sunday). I hope that it's time that we solve this once and for all.
Learning To Live

The IRA doesn't target any civilians on purpose. They may be collateral damage of a property attack, but it is never intended. Also, tourism to Ireland is tourism to the mainland most of the time. By that, I mean tourism to the hills and the beautiful areas, not segregated, impoverished cities like Armagh and Belfast. The thought that tourism to Ireland will stop with attacks in these cities is ludicrous. For the past several years we've been attempting to get it non-violently. Sinn Fein is desperate for any near victory. We've seen how non-violent protest works out in North Ireland (Bloody Sunday). I hope that it's time that we solve this once and for all.

I simply can't accept the 'collateral damage' excuse. In the ethics or war, collateral damage is only allowable if a legitimate target is established, which the IRA does not have.

Also, it seems that Bloody Sunday took place in 1972- hardly a recent example of uncalled for violence. Considering the current political climate, I think the Irish could get a better response, both from the English and other countries, using nonviolent tactics.
M3thod Mak3r

"Terrorism" is merely the resistance of people you disagree with. The IRA are fighting for our freedom, nominally.

M3thod Mak3r

So?

M3thod Mak3r
We had them. The British army shot at them from time to time. Peaceful protest did not win India's freedom, an exhausted Britain and an unruly Indian populace did.
We have the right to fight for our freedoms as most other free nations did. We just have little opportunity to, given the disparity in military power. Asymmetrical warfare is an ugly option, but the alternative is to capitulate or to be slaughtered. Which would you prefer?

M3thod Mak3r
I simply can't accept the 'collateral damage' excuse. In the ethics or war, collateral damage is only allowable if a legitimate target is established, which the IRA does not have.

The armed forces of an occupying foreign nation isn't a legitimate target? Nor are their economic and governmental centres?

Better tell that to the armies of every other country in the world, those tend to be the major targets.

Dapper Hunter

5,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Contributor 150
  • Conversationalist 100
/Honestly (this is coming from a standpoint of somebody who's pretty much a wack) the IRA never should've dissolved. It was the worst thing for the people of the Republic, and it seriously pisses me off when I think about it.

The only reason the IRA ever did dissolve was because of internal turmoil between the ProvIRA and the Officials. That, combined with the political backing of every country in the EU being coerced by the UK to stop supplying the Prov, was what killed them off.

It kinda sucks, too, that they're not really doing anything bad. Aside from collateral damages, the IRA just is pulling a "Sons of Liberty". It's just that throwing tea into a bay doesn't piss the Brits off anymore, so they had to up the ante.

But that aside, the IRA has been a little brutal in their means, and the whole policy of political negotiations and peaceful protest doesn't work as well as it used to. So, they do what they can to try and get back the little piece of land that was stolen from their ancestors almost a millennium ago, which can you really blame them for that?

7,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
If they come back, they come back. All we British have to do is not give in to revenge. We just need to sit back and let them lash out at us and follow due process in bringing the IRA murderers to justice. Let them reveal their murderous nature for the whole world to see, but give the world no opportunity to revile us.

They're frankly no danger to the British state, they're only a danger to individuals. We should treat them as we do other criminals.

7,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
On another note, this 2004 poll says 59% favour a continued union with Great Britain. Only 22% desired a re-union with Ireland

http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2004/Political_Attitudes/NIRELAND.html

Food for thought biggrin
dio777
On another note, this 2004 poll says 59% favour a continued union with Great Britain. Only 22% desired a re-union with Ireland

http://www.ark.ac.uk/nilt/2004/Political_Attitudes/NIRELAND.html

Food for thought biggrin

Hate to shoot you down dio, but here's a little updated food for thought. Looks like both reunification and continued union have dropped a bit...

Will the IRA rise again in 2010?

As the Zen Master says, "We'll see."

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff