Welcome to Gaia! ::

Since it's pretty clear that Iran and Israel are almost at each others throat and we're headed for another war over there (if Syria doesn't go complete civil war on us), I was wondering: how would a war between these two countries play out?

They're not exactly next to each other, and it's pretty clear that the rest of the Middle East (or at least Iraq, since it's between them) would get dragged into the fight. It's also almost guaranteed that they won't use nukes either.

What do you think?
Proxy wars and/or Entente Cordiales; one would suspect.

Fatcat

Iran seemingly won't negotiate, sanctions only go so far and hurt the wrong Iranians. Russia and China will make things more difficult than they need to be, due to the looming Cold War mentality. I fear that soon enough Iran will hit the point of no return with their program, where they really can't be stopped, even by force.

Iran wants to be seen as a force that can rid the Middle East of Israel and to give America a black eye. Nuclear weapons program fulfills both of those wishes.

I'll throw a guess that Israel will go alone within four months or so and bomb the nuclear facilities.. That will lead to two outcomes. The Iranians will mine the Persian Gulf to cut the flow of oil and they will instruct Hezbollah to step up attacks on Israel (since Hezbollah is actually trained and funded quite openly by the Iranians).

And then we get stuck with another decade of pointless conflict that never seems to have a winner.

Yay.
To be fair most of the antagonism is begin performed by the USA and Israel. most of the actions that have been taken by iran are.

Economically threatening the USA because the USA threatened iran with US sanctions.
involving themselves with terrorist bombings around the world because the USA or Israel blew up bombs in their country killing scientists and civilian bystanders.

Both of which aren't outrageous reactions.
Darkphantom
To be fair most of the antagonism is begin performed by the USA and Israel. most of the actions that have been taken by iran are.

Economically threatening the USA because the USA threatened iran with US sanctions.
involving themselves with terrorist bombings around the world because the USA or Israel blew up bombs in their country killing scientists and civilian bystanders.

You forgot the part about the nuclear weapons program.
shoeless joe
Darkphantom

Again Israel has a pretty well developed nuclear program and they have been flaunting it as a threat against iran.
Darkphantom
Again Israel has a pretty well developed nuclear program and they have been flaunting it as a threat against iran.

Don't suppose you have a source for that nuclear threat thing? I was under the impression Israel was famous for their policy of deliberate ambiguity regarding their nuclear capabilities.
shoeless joe
Darkphantom

Don't suppose you have a source for that nuclear threat thing? I was under the impression Israel was famous for their policy of deliberate ambiguity regarding their nuclear capabilities.
The best we have to claim they do is a whistleblower who confirmed Israel was developing them (and had developed one in the late '60s?). This is one of those annoying cases of wikipedia being ambiguous and citable reasons why it would be.
A Really Bad Idea
shoeless joe
Darkphantom

The best we have to claim they do is a whistleblower who confirmed Israel was developing them (and had developed one in the late '60s?). This is one of those annoying cases of wikipedia being ambiguous and citable reasons why it would be.

Seems like threatening nations with nuclear destruction would clear that ambiguity up.

7,400 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
Darkphantom
shoeless joe
Darkphantom

Thats no reason not to stop Iran building their own weapons.

Dangerous Seeker

******** them both. Let the wretches fight it out.
Director ******** them both. Let the wretches fight it out.[/quote]

But the oil pr
fyy583bs:0="Director ******** them both. Let the wretches fight it out.[/quote]

But the oil prices!
You know what would be hilarious? If it turned out to be that Israel's been bluffing for 45-ish years and never actually had nuclear weapons.

@Danguy: And drag Iraq (unlucky enough to be in the middle), Lebanon (Hezbollah's fault really), Syria (probably), Jordan (same problem as Iraq, Saudi Arabia (cause they'd love to see Iran get a black eye), and the rest of the Middle East into a big shooting war with missiles and bullets flying every each way imaginable? Yeah, I think I'll pass on that.

As much as I'd like to agree with you and let the Iranian government actually try to take Israel on, I'd rather prefer that the powderkeg doesn't explode, if for no other reason than it'll give those bastards speculating the oil prices to drive it through the ******** roof again.

But how will the warzone end up if it actually does become a full-scale war, and not just "Ha ha, I blew up your scientists! No nuke for you!" and "Ha! I just blew up your diplomat's... car... and failed with two other attempts..." petty bomb-and-run attacks?

The Zen Master says, "We'll see."

Original Gaian

A Really Bad Idea
Proxy wars and/or Entente Cordiales; one would suspect.

...hey bad idea?

what do you mean by entente cordiales? i know what proxy wars are but...what that other thing? confused

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff