Welcome to Gaia! ::

As Hugh Segal has so often pointed out, the Canadian Senate is a taskless thanks, so much so that most Canadians assume that being a senator involves no responsibilities whatsoever. Some senators have even shared this misapprehension, which led to one Liberal senator, a number of years ago, to be shocked to learn that senators are legally expected to show up in the Red Chamber at least once every two sessions; that requirement however, was too onerous for that senator to follow.

Another thing the law expects of senators is that they at least LIVE in the provinces they represent. Again, this has recently proven to be too great a demand for a couple of Conservative senators. Take, for instance, bloated PEI Senator Mike Duffy. While light has been observed bending due to his ponderous mass, the Puffster has so far failed to bend the space-time continuum to the extent that his claimed PEI residence in Cavendish and his actual residence in Ontario can be said to be the same place.

Another location liar is Quebec Senator Patrick Brazeau. The token aboriginal and legit youngest senator evar has received inordinate media attention since his elevation to the Red Chamber. Now the media attention has soured on him. After being caught belittling the hunger strike of one of the leading Idle No More protagonists, it seems that he claimed his ex father-in-law's place as his residence so he could claim his First Nations tax exemption.

Now it's gotten weird. Long after having faced liberal prince-in-waiting Justin Trudeau in the boxing ring, according to recent criminal charges it appears that Brazeau has taken his penchant for violence further. He was charged on Thursday with both sexual assault and just plain vanilla assault. (link)

Brazeau has been suspended from the Conservative Senate caucus, and will presumably be sacked from the Senate altogether if convicted.

Now, you may ask, since being a Canadian Senator is such a swell job, "Who do I have to blow to become a Senator?". Since the Senate is appointed rather than elected, that question has a clear answer: Prime Minister Stephen Harper. Whose most conspicuous moments of ignominity have involved the Senate, a body he has repeatedly promised to reform, but has thus far done nothing but appoint partisan lame-o's like Senators Duffy and Brazeau.

Where's Caligula's horse Incitatus when you need him?

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Wow, that guy is SUPER ugly.

Liberal Regular

The Canadian Senate is possibly the most useless institution we have. We don't even get to vote those bastards in.

Dangerous Genius

4,700 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
Brazeau kind of looks like the lead singer from Stabbing Westward. Do all Canadian politicians look like that? Because that would be kind of telling.
self perpetuating monarchy led aristocracy and you people continue to take it up the arse. I don't think I get Canada, eh?

Dangerous Werewolf

6,200 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • First step to fame 200
Anyone who would belittle Chief Spence's hunger strike is a pretty low person in my eyes. She's willing to die for her people, for all of us natives in a metaphoric sense. What in the heck is going on with the Canadian government?
UPDATE.

I was watching CTV national news just a few minutes ago, and basically Senator Brazeay showed up for work only to be told basically to ******** off by his co-workers.

Also, add Pamela Wallin to the list of Senators not passing the smell test.

Liberal Genius

I have all of Brazeau's shitpost tweets saved onto my hard drive like a good opposition researcher :3

He's the uncle tom of aboriginals.

Tipsy Explorer

AnarchoPhiliac
I have all of Brazeau's shitpost tweets saved onto my hard drive like a good opposition researcher :3

Tom or Ruckus?
AnarchoPhiliac

Chris Brown moar like, shurely?!
Feminism and Frybread
Anyone who would belittle Chief Spence's hunger strike is a pretty low person in my eyes. She's willing to die for her people, for all of us natives in a metaphoric sense. What in the heck is going on with the Canadian government?

Wouldn't belittle the premise of her strike, just the fact that she made an idiot of herself when Harper started meeting their demands, rather than hiding in the shadows and remaining silent.

Harper agrees to a meeting? NOT GOOD ENOUGH! THE GOVERNOR GENERAL (Who, as we all know, wields the REAL power in Canada and isn't a god damned walking talking Rubber Stamp) isn't going to attend the same meeting *cough* wine and cheese party (As his role calls for) *cough* , but rather is going to have a separate meeting immediately after the meeting with Harper.

I mean, REALLY how can we discuss pertinent, serious issues with the man who holds real power in Canada if a figurehead isn't there to give us champagne and frilly hats.

But then, the fact that she apparently (I say apparently as I like to think this isn't true) wrote the Queen of England asking her to intervene leads me to believe Miss Spence doesn't fully understand Canadian politics.

Quite frankly, I held very high hopes that we would see serious changes and improvements in the early days of the movement.

Then I became incredibly jaded and came to believe it did not have any intention of changing anything but rather simply wanted a reason to call Harper nasty names. (Thus we boycott meetings with him CUS DA GOVERNOR GENERAL ISN'T IN THE SAME MEETING!" $50 says if he had been, it would have been boycotted because Harper looked at one of the leaders funny, or The Queen of England wasn't flying out to attend)
Oh and on the topic of the Senator himself, quite frankly I see very little reason for the senate as a whole to exist at all.

Beyond the pretentious (and false) idea that it is a "Sober second thought" rather than a rubber stamp (Something like the Governor General)

Dangerous Werewolf

6,200 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • First step to fame 200
Its A Crystal
Feminism and Frybread

Wouldn't belittle the premise of her strike, just the fact that she made an idiot of herself when Harper started meeting their demands, rather than hiding in the shadows and remaining silent.

Harper agrees to a meeting? NOT GOOD ENOUGH! THE GOVERNOR GENERAL (Who, as we all know, wields the REAL power in Canada and isn't a god damned walking talking Rubber Stamp) isn't going to attend the same meeting *cough* wine and cheese party (As his role calls for) *cough* , but rather is going to have a separate meeting immediately after the meeting with Harper.

I mean, REALLY how can we discuss pertinent, serious issues with the man who holds real power in Canada if a figurehead isn't there to give us champagne and frilly hats.

But then, the fact that she apparently (I say apparently as I like to think this isn't true) wrote the Queen of England asking her to intervene leads me to believe Miss Spence doesn't fully understand Canadian politics.

Quite frankly, I held very high hopes that we would see serious changes and improvements in the early days of the movement.

Then I became incredibly jaded and came to believe it did not have any intention of changing anything but rather simply wanted a reason to call Harper nasty names. (Thus we boycott meetings with him CUS DA GOVERNOR GENERAL ISN'T IN THE SAME MEETING!" $50 says if he had been, it would have been boycotted because Harper looked at one of the leaders funny, or The Queen of England wasn't flying out to attend)
are you stalking my posts now? Should I be flattered or creeped out?
nobody gives a s**t about canada. rofl

seriously, though... what ******** jerk gets elected to the senate to not show up and argue over laws?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff