Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm a libertarian atheist but ummm yeah this place is pretty much left-leaning
Some of this could be explained by average IQ (the higher the IQ the higher the pro-market bias), and because that's usually the kind of garbage the schools and media teach.

Manly Explorer

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Ray Cest
this could be explained by average IQ
Y'say there's an inverse relationship between intelligence and interest in economics?
Wendigo
Ray Cest
Y'say there's an inverse relationship between intelligence and interest in economics?
Lower IQ is correlated with socially conservative views, but higher IQ is correlated with economically conservative views
so basically I'm saying that smarter people tend to be more libertarian
evidence:
econfaculty.gmu.edu/bcaplan/pdfs/intelligencethinklike.pdf
www.triplenine.org/poll/index.html

Manly Explorer

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Generally, when a social scientist has to cite themselves a couple times a page, I take what they have to say on that subject with a grain of salt. Kinda suggests a body of work attempting to establish a concept in their field without, y'know, the participation of the rest of their field.

Mega Noob

Many people formulate convoluted reasoning and draw from obscure statistics to make themselves come out the most intelligent person in the world, and I bet quite a few cite themselves in the process. I'm the best, why? Because I wrote it, stupid.

Manly Explorer

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Plus, there's no chance whatsoever that Austrian economists are the smartest people in the world.
Wow, lovely discussion, OP. Bitching that people have opposing opinions. I wish there was a way to properly display my disple....
wait.

User Image

there.

Unforgiving Warlord

11,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
Sen Natsu
Wow, lovely discussion, OP. Bitching that people have opposing opinions. I wish there was a way to properly display my disple....
wait.

User Image

there.

i have the freedom to b***h and be hated all i want emotion_yatta emotion_bigvein emotion_bigvein
x_DivineDesire_x
Sen Natsu
wait.

User Image

there.

i have the freedom to b***h and be hated all i want emotion_yatta emotion_bigvein emotion_bigvein
Right, and others can have their opposing opinion. and little warning, from what I have seen you are mainly repeating talking points that you don't understand. I hope that one day you are given the chance to realize you're cheering for the side that wants you to pay for their lavish lifestyle.

I'd reccomend taking debate/critical thinking, and at least one, if not two years in economics. Good luck, I was once in your shoes. it'll be tough.

Lonely Loiterer

10,600 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Dressed Up 200
Our 'neoconservatives' are neither new nor conservative, but old as Bablyon and evil as Hell.
Edward Abbey

Unforgiving Warlord

11,400 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Love Machine 150
LadyBramante
Our 'neoconservatives' are neither new nor conservative, but old as Bablyon and evil as Hell.
Edward Abbey

Edward abby isnt a person i can take seriously

Manly Explorer

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Is William Kristol somebody you can take seriously?

Dapper Dabbler

15,300 Points
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Pie Trafficker 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
x_DivineDesire_x
maybe its because of where i live so many people are left wingers

but on gaia as well it seems like there are a ton of left wings who usually are atheist.

We welcome you with open arms, would you like some cookies

Liberal Genius

LadyBramante
Wendigo

You might want to recognize that economics is its own little corner of the universe, and the broader culture goes on without it sometimes.

The English language is a subtle and many-splendored thing.

One of the things it is used for is dissimulation.

Libertas, the Latin word for 'freedom' as distinct from bondage, is the root of a whole cluster of claims.

When 'economic liberals' start bonging on about what Adam Smith would have said, I tend to look at the obvious results of pretending that any part of our 21st century globalized economy resembles a 'free market'.
Generally, these 'liberals' promote policies which increase the unfettered power of those who are already in power.
The corollary of that is the increased bondage of the wage-earners of the world.

Meanwhile, in the political sphere, right-wing 'liberals' (such as the astro-turf 'libertarians') also bong on about 'rights' and 'freedoms': traducing democracies as 'tyrannous', using the old liberal polemics against absolute monarchy as if they had some traction against a universal adult franchise.
They too promote policies to remove restraint on the overly-powerful individuals and consortiums of 'globalized capital'.
The corollary is lack of redress by persons against powerful corporations.

In both these cases, the word 'liberal' bears as much resemblance to its literal meaning as 'wicked' did among 1990s teenagers.

You Americans have bastardized the word "liberal" into meaninglessness. I ask as a liberal that you do not bastardize it further.

Liberal Genius

Hung Kok
Wendigo
Ray Cest
Lower IQ is correlated with socially conservative views, but higher IQ is correlated with economically conservative views
so basically I'm saying that smarter people tend to be more libertarian
evidence:
econfaculty.gmu.edu/bcaplan/pdfs/intelligencethinklike.pdf
www.triplenine.org/poll/index.html

I've seen plenty of "smart folks" be utterly stupid when it came to things outside of the field of their expertise.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games