Welcome to Gaia! ::

. . . where they claim to be for small government, but contradict it every possible way they can?

Ken Cuccinelli, my Attorney General and running candidate of the GOP in the 2013 Governor race, is attempting to defend the anti-sodomy laws instilled in Virginia to the Supreme Court after the March 2013 decision against the crime against nature policy in states making sodomy illegal. It is a very notable trend among Republicans that I believe should be addressed.

Why do many Republicans claim to support and endorse the ideas of small government while not believing it whatsoever?
Kingdom of His Cause
Why do many Republicans claim to support and endorse the ideas of small government while not believing it whatsoever?

I dunno, maybe because the concept of small government is risible bullshit?
azulmagia
Kingdom of His Cause

Perhaps, but then why claim to support it while obviously not?
Kingdom of His Cause
azulmagia
Kingdom of His Cause

Because they're authoritarians, I should think.
azulmagia
Kingdom of His Cause
azulmagia
Kingdom of His Cause

Obviously, but that doesn't answer the question. An authoritarian would not claim to support a position they blatantly show that they don't.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
I notice that the social agenda is more universally adhered to, while the fiscal plank is more commonly talked about as defining the party. Can't fathom why folks who legitimately desire a more responsible government would admire Reagan, who personally tripled the Debt with a bloated military build-up.
Kingdom of His Cause
azulmagia
Kingdom of His Cause
azulmagia
Kingdom of His Cause

Obviously, but that doesn't answer the question. An authoritarian would not claim to support a position they blatantly show that they don't.

Sure they would. If libertarians are full of s**t on this score (and they are), a fortiori conservatives should be even more egregious offenders, so no surprises there.
Wendigo
I notice that the social agenda is more universally adhered to, while the fiscal plank is more commonly talked about as defining the party. Can't fathom why folks who legitimately desire a more responsible government would admire Reagan, who personally tripled the Debt with a bloated military build-up.

When you play around with fusionism you often get people or get people to admire Reagan. Take my father who signs the praises of that man without considering the wars he got involved in to the recklessness of deregulating markets to support voodoo economics. I just doubt the people who still have the 1980's "high" honestly live within reality to who they support or don't.

Questionable Codger

You forget which small government they are for. They are for small government in relation to corporations and the wealthy.

Yet they are very happy to station a cop in every v****a, wedding hall, and bedroom. They love bigger government in the form of blocking women's health clinics and stationing guards at arms-length to keep out one type of brown-skinned people while bloating the military in order to try to kill other types of brown-skinned people. In those cases there is never enough government, nor any amount of money too small to spend on their pet issues.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Y'ask me, "small government"/"states' rights" was code for racism in the mid-to-late 19th century, and just never got dropped.
"Small government" means stop people from doing things I don't like but don't do anything to mess with me, didn't you know?
Shama_okami
"Small government" means stop people from doing things I don't like but don't do anything to mess with me, didn't you know?

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
Wendigo

It's easy to fathom it when you realise that they're living in their own world characterized by "truthiness." Which also explains their link to evangelical Christians, who are also living in a fantasy world, too.
It is also a known fact that most people in the republican party reject intellect.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff