Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kasumi of Vientown
Vercingetorix VII
Kasumi of Vientown
The fact of the matter is that the polar ice caps have expanded since the whole 'global warming' thing was announced. They are larger, not smaller.

Oh s**t, no one tell the Russians.

Quote:
Every summer they start melting, and ever winter they expand.

Hey guys guys guys guys, it's cool. Kasumi over here cracked the secret of global warming, it turns out that there's just an annual cycle of heating and warming in the different atmospheres.

Phew.

Thanks, Dr. Kasumi. We owe you one.

The ICE CAPS are expanding, but we are still in a warming up cycle so some of the loose ice is melting, but anyway the actual ice caps are expending. You shouldn't put words in my mouth like an idiot

No, they aren't. The direct and physical proof of this is that Summer-time shipping lanes are opening up in the Arctic circle that were not previously accessible at all.

Perfect Hunter

9,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
Can we at least keep the jackassery topical?
Kasumi of Vientown
Disa Uniflora
What the ******** are you people doing?

They are taking my words out of context and being a bunch of asses.

Wait a second. Nobody here except you claimed to get their news from YouTube.

Conservative Voter

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
  • Signature Look 250
You wouldn’t think so if you read recent press reports. Just like this time last year, the global press is bombarding the public with alarming reports coming from the bottom of the world. From the Discovery Channel on April 28th, 2009 “Huge Ice Shelf Breaks From Antarctica, Fractures.” From National Geographic News on April 30th, 2009 “Giant Antarctic Ice Shelf Collapses.” From Reuters on April 28th, 2009, “New York City-sized Ice Collapses off Antarctica.”

Exactly one year ago, similar stories circulated, and if anything, they were more alarming. On March 25th, 2008, the BBC reported “Antarctic Ice Hangs by a Thread,” a result, they stated, of “unprecedented global warming.” But these reports, both last year and this year, are talking about the same ice shelf – the Wilkins Ice Shelf, an insignificant bit of floating ice that is located on the northern tip of the Antarctic Peninsula. Didn’t it break up last year? How many times do we recycle the alarm over the seasonal melting of the same few thousand square miles of floating ice (ice that floats cannot contribute to sea level rise), off a continent that exceeds five million square miles in area?

As of April 2009, sea surface temperatures surrounding
Antarctica are mostly colder than average.

Apparently over and over. An excellent analysis posted on April 17th, 2009 by Ron de Haan entitled “The Antarctic Wilkins Ice Shelf Collapse: Media recycles photos and storylines from previous years,” documents how the Wilkins Ice Shelf has been reported by the mainstream media to be ominously collapsing every year now since 1999. Haan also provides satellite photography back as far as 1993 showing the end-of-summer thaws and mid-winter maximums for the Wilkins Ice Shelf. Not much has changed over the past 15 years. Thank goodness for the blogosphere to help us accurately assess the cryosphere!

The assumption in all these stories that report on the Wilkins Ice Shelf, and other melting ice around the Antarctic Peninsula, is that global warming is the cause, and that they are representative of a general melt occurring throughout Antarctica. And if this were true, this would be alarming, since 90% of the world’s land based ice is in Antarctica. So is the ocean warming around Antarctica, and is Antarctica’s overall total mass decreasing?

The answer to both of these questions is almost certainly no. As this recent imagery from NOAA indicates, the southern ocean is actually colder than average. Except for a few areas directly south of the Indian Ocean, and in the area south of Patagonia and surrounding the Antarctic Peninsula, the rest of the ocean surrounding Antarctica – virtually all of the South Pacific and South Atlantic – is cooler than average. This data indicates no reason to believe ocean temperatures are causing overall loss of ice mass in the Antarctic; with the exception of the insignificant quantity of ice on the Antarctic Peninsula, they suggest the opposite.

As of May 2009, sea ice surrounding Antarctica is
about 1.0 million square kilometers greater than average.

What about the ice mass of Antarctica? Along with land based ice, which can raise sea levels when melted into the ocean, another significant indicator of polar temperature is the extent of floating sea ice. As the above table prepared by researchers at the University of Illinois indicates, the actual sea ice surrounding Antarctica is well above average. The black line represents the last 12 months of sea ice area, based on satellite data. You can see the sea ice reached a peak of 15 million square kilometers around September, during the peak of the southern winter. You can see it dropped to a low of 2 million square kilometers in mid-February, at the height of the southern summer. Currently the sea ice surrounding Antarctica is 7 million square kilometers and rising. The red line, however, is what is significant, because the red line indicates whether or not the sea ice is above or below the historical norm. And as you can see, as of May 2009, Antarctic sea ice is about 1.0 million square kilometers above normal.

Just like last year, to assist in the research for this post I contacted Dr. Roger Pielke Sr., a climatologist at the University of Colorado whose blog www.climatesci.org is one of the most balanced forums and respected sources of technical information on global climate anywhere. In response to my inquiry, he wrote the following: “The sea ice around the continent is far above average (ref. UIUC). Also, note the colder than average sea surface temperatures around Antarctic (ref. NOAA). If the media is going to discuss the Wilkens Ice Shelf, they should also discuss this other data. The expansion of the sea ice coverage implies a cooling.”

Some experts claim that 25 cubic kilometers of ice is lost and not replaced each year, and maybe that's true, but Antarctica is 20 MILLION cubic kilometers of ice, so that number is very minuscule.

Now, that being said, the greatest threat t the Arctic ice isn't the temperature, it's Russia. Russia has 20 icebreakers that break apart the loose ice into smaller pieces that melt easier. This has been going on for decades and naturally everyone blames global warming, when in reality we need to employ a strategy of some kind to stop the breaking apart of the ice that is there. I read somewhere that the northern polar ice cap is expanding each year, but then a lot of loose ice is melting each year so it could be that thee's just more water becoming precipitation and raining down there.

Anyway, I am skeptical of global warming because the Earth does go through periods where it heats up and it cools down, but humans are indeed threatening the Northern ice, just not in the way that the Global Warming believers say that it is.

That's my opinion. Global Warming is still just a theory, it's never been proven, any scientist will tell you that if they are honest and they don't have an agenda, lol

Conservative Voter

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
  • Signature Look 250
Heimdalr
I think there is a law that says whenever Keyboard Cat is posted the discussion is officially derailed. Or at least there is a law against me being in a foreign country drinking too much Lager and posting in one.

It's not fully de-railed yet. No one posted a rick roll yet!

Oh, I guess I spoke too soon lol

Perfect Hunter

9,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
Alright then.

Profitable Prophet

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I'm not sure how anyone can speak in absolutes as to what occurred here. I have my own hunches as well - namely that I suspect Mr. Zimmerman was an aggressor and that this was at least partially due to some latent fears of young black men. But I'm sure more details will come out both during discovery and trial, and it's worth bearing this in mind when your analysis requires an assumption of certain facts.
Heimdalr
Kasumi of Vientown
Heimdalr
I think there is a law that says whenever Keyboard Cat is posted the discussion is officially derailed. Or at least there is a law against me being in a foreign country drinking too much Lager and posting in one.

It's not fully de-railed yet. No one posted a rick roll yet!

Oh, I guess I spoke too soon lol

There is definitely a law that says something about rick-rolling your own post. Or at least there should be.

It's not even a Rick Roll. It's just a clearly embedded link to a Rick Astley video.

Perfect Hunter

9,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
The Mail Online
Michelle Obama calls Trayvon Martin's Death A Tragedy' And Says Americans Should Rally Around His Parents

First Lady Michelle Obama called Trayvon Martin's death a 'tragedy' and said Americans should rally around the teen's parents as they mourn.

In an interview with National Public Radio Tuesday, Mrs Obama said she hopes the February 19 shooting in Sanford, Florida, sparks a conversation about race and diversity that goes beyond the controversial case.

In her comments, she did not mention George Zimmerman, the 28-year-old neighborhood watch volunteer who is charged with murdering the unarmed 17-year-old.

'All I can say is that my heart goes out to the parents, because we all as parents understand the tragedy of that kind of loss, and I think that's really the thing that most people connect to,' she said.

'And it's important for us not to lose sight of the fact that this is a family that's grieving and there's been a tremendous loss. And we all have to rally around that piece of it.'

The judge handling Zimmerman's case, Circuit Judge Jessica Recksiedler, is expected to step aside Wednesday after Zimmerman's lawyer filed a motion citing possible conflict of interest, the Orlando Sentinel reports.

Judge Recksiedler's husband is the law partner of Mark NeJame, an attorney who provides legal analysis for CNN and was approached to represent Zimmerman.

Mrs Obama's sympathetic words for Trayvon's parents echo her husband's remarks about the shooting last month.

'My main message is to the parents of Trayvon Martin. You know, if I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon,' President Barack Obama said.

His message, in which he also called the shooting a 'tragedy,' sparked controversy, with Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich calling it 'disgraceful race-baiting.'

The shooting at a gated community, while Trayvon was returning to his father's girlfriend's home with Skittles and iced tea, has sparked protests across the country.

Many see the case as a racial issue. Trayvon was black and Zimmerman, who claimed self-defense and was not arrested until a special prosecutor investigated the case, is half-Hispanic and half-white.

Mrs Obama said she believes the country can learn from the shooting and should continue discussing the controversial issues.

'It's all about, you know, continuing to get to know ourselves in a very diverse and complicated country that is America,' she told NPR.

'But because it is so diverse, our challenges are complex. So there isn't, you know, a one-shot solution to this.'

The interview on NPR's 'Tell Me More' focused on the First Lady's Joining Forces initiative, aimed at raising support for military families.

However, she also spoke about the controversy surrounding a Democratic strategist's remarks that Mitt Romney's wife Ann 'never worked a day in her life.' Mrs Romney responded that she raised five children.

Mrs Obama said she believes families should be off-limit to politics. However, she added: 'We need to respect all women, in whatever positions and roles they play in this society. That's where we need to be.

Source

I have to say, despite her carefully avoiding comment on Zimmerman and the trial proceedings, I'm not at all comfortable with the President or the First Lady wading into this issue, even just into the shallow waters. I think that there'll be plenty of time to discuss gun violence, race, what have you, but an ongoing, current legal situation is not the right vehicle to use in order to stimulate that conversation.

I simply don't think their opinions are necessary, and that by volunteering them it'll doubtlessly be perceived as being a vote of confidence in one of two conflicting sides. That unfortunate dichotomy has already been inflamed enough by the political rhetoric surrounding this case the past month and a half.

That's my opinion, anyways.

Profitable Prophet

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Disa Uniflora
I have to say, despite her carefully avoiding comment on Zimmerman and the trial proceedings, I'm not at all comfortable with the President or the First Lady wading into this issue, even just into the shallow waters. I think that there'll be plenty of time to discuss gun violence, race, what have you, but an ongoing, current legal situation is not the right vehicle to use in order to stimulate that conversation.

I simply don't think their opinions are necessary, and that by volunteering them it'll doubtlessly be perceived as being a vote of confidence in one of two conflicting sides. That unfortunate dichotomy has already been inflamed enough by the political rhetoric surrounding this case the past month and a half.

If Michelle Obama or anybody with the clout to influence public opinion truly cares about this case, they won't comment on it. If Zimmerman is found guilty, any defense attorney worth his salt should know to make the proper procedural motions preserving for an appeal that Zimmerman likely did not (will not) receive a fair shake at trial.

Perfect Hunter

9,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
Less Than Liz
Disa Uniflora

If Michelle Obama or anybody with the clout to influence public opinion truly cares about this case, they won't comment on it. If Zimmerman is found guilty, any defense attorney worth his salt should know to make the proper procedural motions preserving for an appeal that Zimmerman likely did not (will not) receive a fair shake at trial.

Certainly, but were I them I'd be erring even further on the side of restraint.

Profitable Prophet

7,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Disa Uniflora
Certainly, but were I them I'd be erring even further on the side of restraint.

Further on the side of restraint than not commenting?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get Items
Get Gaia Cash
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games