Welcome to Gaia! ::

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/17/ed-schultz-blames-grand-theft-auto-and-special-interest-groups-for-mass-shootings/

Quote:
MSNBC host Ed Schultz expressed sympathy with gun owners on Tuesday while lashing out at special-interest groups and the makers of the video game Grand Theft Auto V, accusing them of helping foment a political atmosphere that stifles discussion on stricter gun safety laws that could prevent more mass shootings like the one at the Washington Navy Yard on Monday.

“I understand going out pheasant hunting and duck hunting and going moose hunting,” said Schultz, a self-avowed hunter and fisherman for more than 40 years. “There are people in the middle of the country and all pockets of the country who think that that lifestyle, that choice of activity, is going to be threatened if we pass any gun laws whatsoever. The special-interest groups play on the fears of these gun owners. This is one of the reasons we can’t get enything done, even when 91 percent of the American people want to do something on it.”

Schultz also argued to his viewers that their childrens’ attention over the past 24 hours may have been focused on the game, which was released early Tuesday morning.

Never mind a recent study shows: Violent Video Games May Make Teens Less Violent

Quote:
"A new paper is out in the Journal of Youth and Adolescence which shows no positive correlation between playing violent video games and acts of aggression. The study of 377 children with attention deficit and depressive symptoms in fact showed a slight negative correlation between video game-playing and aggressive behavior such as bullying, which the researchers posit is due to the games awarding some measure of catharsis. The full paper is available online (PDF)."

Also from the New York Times: Violent video game sales coincide with drop in violent youth crimes, according to study

Quote:
High sales of violent video games do not result in spikes in crime rates, instead correlating with a decrease in violent youth activity, according to research statistics shared in The New York Times.

According to the Times, between 1994 and 2010 the number of violent crimes among youth offenders fell by more than half, to 224 crimes per population of 100,000. At the same time, sales of video games have more than doubled since 1996.

Shlutz is the sort of person that turns young people and swing-voters off of liberalism and the Democrats when he blames violent video games for real life violence (however it needs to be noted the Republicans and Christian right does this just as much if not more so then Democrats/Liberals).

The fact is however, most violence in the world occurs not where violent video games are played, such as Japan, but in places where they are not even available, such as Somalia and North Korea.

In any case, the notion that violent video games reduces violence makes sense from an evolutionary psychology perspective. Presumed is the notion that people are already hardwired by nature to commit violent acts, many of our ancestors were warriors and hunters after all, that survived millions of years of intense, murderous competition.

Video games help us get our aggression out. Remove the means to channel this aggression, and I imagine violence may well increase.

Or as one person put it, "Violent Video Games don't make us violent. Taking away our Violent Video games does. "

Discuss: Why blaming violent movies/video games/media is so common among those who think they should be able to determine how we live our lives. Discuss, whether or not this is linked to religious values.

Mega Noob

It's likely the shooter didn't play GTA V enough to be influenced by it. After all, he was already dead when it was released. This is so asinine I'm wondering how much Schultz got in that product placement deal.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Violent video games certainly do muddy the waters of gun violence discussions. Of course, they muddy them in a way that was impossible back when Charles Whitman was killing people, since he was killing people nine years before ********' Pong.
The answer is simple. Video games take viewers away from TV. So the companies will tell their news networks to bash and belittle video games in every way to undercut the competition.

Time-traveling Senshi

I saw that part of the show, as I flipped to it before leaving for an appointment for my folks, and honestly I think what he was getting at was that we live in a culture that glorifies the gun to the point where incidents like what happened at the Naval Yard don't even phase people anymore. We've become so desensitized to gun violence because it's been turned into a plot point that people cheer over when they watch movies and play games that real life gun violence that happens to other people doesn't register with them.

Part of the reason why nothing's being done to even get background checks, which 90 to 91% of people polled would like to see happen, in place is because politicians are so freaking scared what happened in Colorado will happen to them. They're afraid if they vote the "wrong way" on a gun measure the NRA will come in and fund a candidate that's in their back pocket and they'll be voted out of office. Ed came to the point, while interviewing the congressman from Maryland who sponsored a background check bill that had a bunch of support from both sides, that the first thing that needs to be done is campaign finance reform so the NRA money is taken out of the picture. Once the fear of the NRA funding the opposing candidate is gone then maybe more reasonable gun legislation will be passed.

Aged Lunatic

You're shocked about a liberal blathering s**t about the video game medium?!
Oh man, wait till you hear what Hillary Clinton and Obama have said about gaming...... rofl

Questionable Codger

GunsmithKitten
Oh man, wait till you hear what Hillary Clinton and Obama have said about gaming...... rofl

Those damned bleeding heart liberals!

Aged Lunatic

Ammo Amy
GunsmithKitten

SOOOOOOO not my point. We know the right by and large are idiots on the medium, my point is that being a liberal doesn't mean you'll be enlightened and get it either.

Keep in mind who was leading the charge against GTA: San Andreas when Hot Coffee broke....

Questionable Codger

GunsmithKitten
Ammo Amy
GunsmithKitten

SOOOOOOO not my point. We know the right by and large are idiots on the medium, my point is that being a liberal doesn't mean you'll be enlightened and get it either.

Keep in mind who was leading the charge against GTA: San Andreas when Hot Coffee broke....

Oh, you mean this guy?

Quote:
Citing popular video games like “Grand Theft Auto” and “Bulletstorm,” NRA head Wayne LaPierre decried the violence in popular movies and video games, saying that such “entertainment” is “aired like propaganda films on splatterdays.”

Questionable Codger

redsurrected

Ahem.
Stop arguing. Both parties are a bunch of dickwads with great big sticks up their asses to compensate for their lack of a spine.

Oh, I agree. People need to seriously stop playing pin the tail on the asswipe, since there are so many targets out there.

2,550 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
http://gamepolitics.com/2013/09/17/fox-friends-co-host-elisabeth-hasselbeck-we-need-national-registry-video-games#.UjnKaT96_8Q

*foams at the mouth*
I'm beginning to wonder if anyone will wake up and realize "Hmm...you know, we humans aren't perfect. And people can be pretty f*cking stupid. Maybe we should worry about our own actions rather than that of inate, mindless items and tools."

Aged Lunatic

Ammo Amy

Oh, you mean this guy?

I meant Hillary Clinton, actually.

And why do you think I return every scrap of NRA junk mail I somehow seem to keep getting every month?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff