Welcome to Gaia! ::

So this is a REALLY messy situation, as the big lebowski would say "a lot of ins, a lot of outs" but there are CLEAR and real major HR violations to the situation.

I'll try to make this concise and short.

So basically I was having sexual relations with my boss (my manager), and they were VERY well concealed and quiet. It lasted for about 4 weeks, and then I decided to call it quits once I realized what a complete BAD idea it was to begin with (mind you I was 19 at the time, he's 27). He didn't really want to stop, and would consistently (not really all the time) would grope me in the break room we have, or come on to me and kiss me.

There are NO cameras in the break room so it would be my word against his.

Anyways, the perfect opportunity to 'out' him came in the form of a VERY stupid move on his part. He groped me in a room that had multiple cameras at the place I work, and I clearly warned him that I could report this to my supervisor. My manager is well, kind of an a*****e and basically just brushed it off. So I followed the correct procedure and issued a complaint.

My supervisor told me he was written up for it... that's all. My manager called me 2 days later "heart broken" and told me that he was already on probation, he didn't mention for what. Safe to say he left me well enough alone.

Fast forward 8 months later, and one of my co-workers went through my opened email account (we share a computer at the work place, and I forgot to log out! major accident on my part), and found a long conversation of text messages between me and my boss (I have an android 4 phone and it copies every conversation I have with people to my email account). I never deleted them because well 8 months had passed by and I never really had to see them.

She really had dig deep and to pull them up, but lets just say they were VERY detailed bits and pieces between me and my manager i.e. places we would meet up to do 'things' and other sexually explicit dialogues... my manager is married and has a kid.

After having found all this out (this co-worker has the BIGGEST mouth) she immediately told someone above us (not necessarily our manager, but someone above our position), and that person told our supervisor.

I was pulled into a meeting with my supervisor and the head director of the place I work (THE boss of my supervisor).

Of coarse I was shocked and dumbfounded and I basically cried, explaining to them that me and my manager no longer are 'seeing' each other. They asked if anything on my part was NON consensual, and I told them about the small instances he would grope me in the break room after I decided to stop the affairs. The told me only a 'handful' of people knew about it (which later EVERYONE found out because my co-worker was running around telling everyone) and asked if I would still want to work here.

Here's the thing, I was shocked that they didn't fire me as well? They first put my manager on suspension until they could figure out what to do, then later they let him go.

They decided to keep me. The first month was hell. None of the people that I worked with would even look at me. I would get side-eye glances from everyone. Basically, I could still keep my job but it came with the stigma of, ' oh look its the slut who slept with our boss'.

Here's what I just found out today from a very reliable source. My manager had an extensive history of this sort of thing. Of inappropriately flirting, touching and evening groping other female workers ( I work at an art museum, and most of the staff, interns included are oddly ALL female and quiet young). He's also had multiple complaints and has been on probation twice, and after my reported incident HR STILL did nothing for his situation.

I was told from a co-worker whom I trust and am friends with (and who use to be a cop) that I could have sued the museum I work for, considering I have evidence against my manager about our explicit affair.

However I don't have evidence about his lecherous history in the museum, but my ex-cop friend the museum does.

So my question is, could I sue them ?

My ex-cop friend also said the only reason they didn't fire me was so that I wouldn't sue them.

The museum is privately owned by a millionaire (probably billionaire) sort of play-boy older guy.

I wouldn't even know HOW to get a lawyer, much less provide a good case against the museum (plus I'm no millionaire myself, so I would imagine any lawyer I could muster up wouldn't stand a chance?)

Any advice or scrutiny is welcomed.
Quote:
evening groping

Is that a euphemism?
That Cursed Number
Quote:
evening groping

Is that a euphemism?

wow, I barely caught that. It wasn't intentional, but he did have other affairs at work, so yes you could read it like that.

my mistake!

Jeering Regular

Look up your local state or county bar's website and see if it has a lawyer referral service. Find someone who has experience in employment law. Some lawyers offer free consultations to decide whether they want you as a client, but in any case a consultation fee is usually pretty small.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Sue them for what action in particular, though? His having this affair isn't something your employer did. They might have tacitly condoned his behavior toward female subordinates, but they did dismiss him after they found out about this, right?

I feel like the strongest argument that somebody behaved inappropriately comes up here:

Quote:
The first month was hell. None of the people that I worked with would even look at me. I would get side-eye glances from everyone. Basically, I could still keep my job but it came with the stigma of, ' oh look its the slut who slept with our boss'.

Because that's what's called a "hostile work environment," and would be created by whomever was spreading around the details of that inappropriate workplace relationship.
Hm... my first thought is no. Unless you have a specific reason

You willingly slept with your boss, and when you reported his unwanted actions appropriate action got taken. When they found out about your relationship, they took appropriate steps to protect you from it happening again (suspended him), and didn't punish you for it. It wasn't the company who spread the rumours and caused the hostile work environment, it was your co-worker.

You could possibly argue that your work didn't take the appropriate steps to stop your co-worker from spreading those rumours, but so far it doesn't look like you can

If it were one of the bosses who went through your account, you would have a case, but I'm not sure about this one. Your best bet is to ask a lawyer. You might get a settlement if you're lucky though

Wealthy Businesswoman

7,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Married 100
You could, yes. It's actually quite easy to sue for more trivial things than this.

The question is if you would get anything out of it or not. Clearly the manager was fired after this, so the company took the responsible action... There is also evidence of this being consensual, as you have those logs of your conversations that could be used against you in court. So you might not win much, if anything. And keep in mind even though companies rarely win against people, they can afford good lawyers, and the jury might not side with someone they spin to look like a slut.

Familiar Smoker

Could you sue? Yes.

Would that work out for you? Probably not...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff