Welcome to Gaia! ::

The congressional approval rating is lower than its ever been. it's on it's way to being a single digit percentage, which is beyond pathetic. this is beyond the left vs right bickering that tends to grasp most political discussion these days; both parties suck and constantly pass the blame around. Well, there's a petition floating around to deny pay to the congress if they fail to produce a budget. You can find it here:

http://hq.nolabels.org/page/s/nobudgetnopaydisp

I can't think of any reason this would be bad, especially when you consider the fact that 90% of congress are millionaires who gain most of their wealth by selling their power. whether or not it would immediately lead to a budget is to be seen, honestly i doubt it. but one of the first steps to fixing this problem is reminding them that they work for us, and not the other way around.

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
Okay, hold on, where did you hear 90% of congressmen are millionaires?
Queen Shining Heaven

whoops sorry, was looking at the wrong number for something else. its about half of congress that are millionaires

Angelic Husband

11,300 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
eskAe
Queen Shining Heaven

whoops sorry, was looking at the wrong number for something else. its about half of congress that are millionaires

Oh, okay, anyway, I don't think it will work at all. Don't they set their won pay or something?

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
What do you think that will accomplish? It's a petition. It has no weight behind it unless Congress acts on it by passing a law or something.
If you're saying that they don't care if they get a paycheck or not, why would I want to sign the petition anyway? You might as well sign a petition saying they don't get pink unicorns unless they work together.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Yeah, I gotta say, good luck getting Congress to pass a bill punishing Congress for being a bunch of petty, stupid loonies.

Jeering Regular

Queen Shining Heaven
eskAe
Queen Shining Heaven

Oh, okay, anyway, I don't think it will work at all. Don't they set their won pay or something?
Yes, but the 27th Amendment prohibits any law increasing or decreasing their salary from taking effect until the start of the next term of the U.S. House of Representatives.
i think its a principle thing, basically trying to remind them that they work for us and need to be held responsible. nice to see the atmosphere here is still hilariously pessimistic though
The Herald of War
What do you think that will accomplish? It's a petition. It has no weight behind it unless Congress acts on it by passing a law or something.
like they'll vote themselves a pay cut.
Ever.

Dedicated Reveler

4,000 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Conversationalist 100
Yuki the Third
The Herald of War
like they'll vote themselves a pay cut.
Ever.

Exactly my point. Much less withhold ALL their pay, even once.

Magical Investigator

22,875 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Pine Perfection 250
  • Forum Regular 100
eskAe
congress sucks. FACT!

It's an opinion. "Congress sucks" is an opinion.

A fairly reasonable opinion to make, but an opinion nonetheless.

The thing is, though... I'm pretty sure Congress has always sucked. The problem is, you get a bunch of pompous egotistical politicians in the same room, all trying to push their own agendas, you're going to get issues.

We're only noticing it now because we're alive now. mrgreen

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Well, next year there's a pretty good chance that we can replace all the stupid peoples in the House of Representatives. Maybe then things'll get better. assuming people remember to vote.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Xiam
The thing is, though... I'm pretty sure Congress has always sucked. The problem is, you get a bunch of pompous egotistical politicians in the same room, all trying to push their own agendas, you're going to get issues.
I would say that the cultural shifts which have intervened in the development of each succeeding generation have caused each Congress to suck in an individual fashion.

For example, it's only been possible for Congressmen to have been raised by television and the nuclear arms race for the last 64 years. And Congress would have been among the most literate and educated people in society about until around 100 years ago, with the final victories of compulsory public education over child labor. And the first Congress was much more interested in the slavery question than we are now.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff