Welcome to Gaia! ::

What should be the status of contraband drugs?

Status quo: Tobacco and alcohol legal; marijuana and other drugs illegal 0.16129032258065 16.1% [ 5 ]
Marijuana should be legalized, but all other illegal drugs should still be illegal 0.45161290322581 45.2% [ 14 ]
Marijuana, cocaine, exctasy, and other drugs should be legal; meth and new-age drugs are illegal. 0.032258064516129 3.2% [ 1 ]
All drugs should be taxed, legal, regulated, and production should adhere to safety standards 0.096774193548387 9.7% [ 3 ]
What people do to themselves is not the government's business. no regulations for drugs. 0.25806451612903 25.8% [ 8 ]
Total Votes:[ 31 ]
< 1 2 3 4 >

Omnipresent Warlord

Quote:
I just don't think the answer lies in making everything legal as making lesser drugs legal that creates black markets that are worse then the drugs themselves.

Ah. Finally someone addressing the issue. Where do you draw the line?

Dangerous Seeker

As much as I love my substances, even I think there's a line to be drawn. This bath salts s**t is being haid as "The New LSD" when it has ******** all in common with LSD. These violent assholes are giving harmless users a bad name and deserve whatever ill comes their way.

Shy Werewolf

Director Danguy
These violent assholes are giving harmless users a bad name and deserve whatever ill comes their way.
That there is an interesting dichotomy laid out. A sad one, as I doubt it will take in the current political climate, but it should.

Maybe it will be like the gay marriage thing and 4 years from now we will be able to talk about it like grown-up countries.
Omnileech
Quote:
I just don't think the answer lies in making everything legal as making lesser drugs legal that creates black markets that are worse then the drugs themselves.

I would say the first thing to do is look at the Controlled Substances Act and reconsider grouping many controlled substances from groups I-III into a new criteria.

I would say that making marijuana legal as well as tax it would be a start. I don't know how you can stop other black markets of opiates, I have nothing against them as for what many are used for medicinal reasons. Many other drugs I just don't know how you can "prevent" the use of drug abuse. Giving people are able get to many industrial and cleaner solvents your setting yourself up for what you try to prevent. This issue is the reason that methylamphetamine is one of biggest produced illegal drug, never mind the medical use its used for.

Omnipresent Warlord

Steven Hawkings
Omnileech
Quote:

I would say the first thing to do is look at the Controlled Substances Act and reconsider grouping many controlled substances from groups I-III into a new criteria.

I would say that making marijuana legal as well as tax it would be a start. I don't know how you can stop other black markets of opiates, I have nothing against them as for what many are used for medicinal reasons. Many other drugs I just don't know how you can "prevent" the use of drug abuse. Giving people are able get to many industrial and cleaner solvents your setting yourself up for what you try to prevent. This issue is the reason that methylamphetamine is one of biggest produced illegal drug, never mind the medical use its used for.

That's what I would do, as it's the most pragmatic solution in my opinion. Maybe classify drugs based on probabbilty of the drug user becoming a physical threat to non-users

Drugs like tobacco marijuana are clearly low threats

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Omnileech
I'm asking about this because just about everyone on this forum is adamantly supportive of legalizing nearly all drugs for recreational use.

Really? I'd say almost everyone is in favor of legalizing marijuana, but only a fraction seem to support nearly all drugs for recreational use.

That's my estimate, anyway. THIS CALLS FOR A POLL.
Omnileech
Steven Hawkings
Omnileech
Quote:

That's what I would do, as it's the most pragmatic solution in my opinion. Maybe classify drugs based on probabbilty of the drug user becoming a physical threat to non-users

Drugs like tobacco marijuana are clearly low threats

Depends on how much of a public health and safety campaign you want to go on.

Omnipresent Warlord

Less Than Liz
Omnileech
I'm asking about this because just about everyone on this forum is adamantly supportive of legalizing nearly all drugs for recreational use.

Really? I'd say almost everyone is in favor of legalizing marijuana, but only a fraction seem to support nearly all drugs for recreational use.

That's my estimate, anyway. THIS CALLS FOR A POLL.

Ok then.
People who do chemicals with no knowledge of the long-term impact are just idiots
that said, I'm all for state-wide banning of substances, but do not support a federal level. I consider these, just like any other more or vice, to be the jurisdiction of the people of the state
I don't care if you want to do drugs are not have fun make sure to OD while you are at it. As long as it dose not HURT other people I don't care what you do have fun.
It is not cocaine or meth, it's a derivative form of LSD.

Friendly Raider

Well idiots should look into the facts: this "zombie" case sounded exactly like classical PCP cases, ***** did PCP. The media just wants to blame something legal.

Omnipresent Warlord

SaguaroDundee
Well idiots should look into the facts: this "zombie" case sounded exactly like classical PCP cases, ***** did PCP. The media just wants to blame something legal.

As far as I know there was only one confirmed PCP user that went cannibal, and that was in 2002. Unless you have evidence to suggest that PCP was used in both recent cannibal instances, then two people using "bath salts" going cannibal within weeks of each other probably ought to not be written off.
Patton
If someone chooses to waste their money on something which does not contribute to their success in life, why am I expected to care? My only fear is not banning/regulating, it is that various government agencies are going to try to spend more of the taxpayers' money teaching a lesson that a good portion of the populace has already learned.

When I was a child, schools had a program called Drug Abuse Resistance Education...anybody ever heard of it? Taught students that drugs/gangs/violence is not a good thing, m'kay? Local police officers were brought in to speak in front of school assemblies, handed out really silly t-shirts. Been around almost thirty years.

Maybe the question shouldn't be education, but rather when society should stop trying to educate those who choose not to learn.

That, and our media(which has a large effect on our impressionable society) should stop glorifying gang activity and drug use.
Anyways, personally I think pretty much all drugs should be illegal and heavily penalized. Or at least if legalized it should be controlled(for example, alcohol is legal, yet people are strongly advised not to drink while driving, drink while in public and so on, and can be fined or put it jail for doing so) the way we are now is fine I think, except there needs to be more law enforcement if anything.

The stuff is illegal for a reason, because it's dangerous and addictive, it isn't "thE mAn trynA coNtroL ppL" like lots of young dumb douches say. If these people read about about some of the neuroscience behind what a lot of these hardcore drugs actually do to your brain chemistry in the long run, only complete morons would keep doing it.

Of course, some of this stuff, like meth and "bath salts" are sometimes created because other drugs are illegal, which is a consequence of making other drugs illegal, but I don't know what you can do about that. Maybe people just shouldn't allow voluntary impairments of the dopamine system to begin with.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff