Welcome to Gaia! ::

Desirable Kitten

4,900 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Sen Natsu
Well, obviously we should remove guns so people can protect themselves better, since hands/feet/fists are so effective.

emotion_awesome

That was good I will have to use it.

Eloquent Streaker

--Sky Kid Tai--
Old Blue Collar Joe
AnarchoPhiliac
I really do not see the point in owning assault rifles, unless if you are paranoid as ********, though at that point you really need mental help.

They're semi-automatic weapons, not assault weapons. As has been pointed out numerous times, it is a politically coined phrase to incite fear in the minds of the uninformed about the firearms in general.

Hold on Joe, they did use the term Assault Rifle so the terminoligy is correct.
Nope, they still used the wrong terminology. Assault rifles are, by definition, selective fire (can alternate between semi-auto an full auto/burst fire), and guns like the AR-15 and Saiga only fire in semi-automatic.

Eloquent Streaker

Sen Natsu
Obviously we should take people's guns away and issue them more hands, feet and fists.
The irony is that hands and feet kill more people than rifles every year.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Requiem ex Inferni
Sen Natsu
Obviously we should take people's guns away and issue them more hands, feet and fists.
So your argument is that ten thousand people are killed by firearms in a year, and a little over a thousand are killed by any kind of blunt object counting the body, so we should register hands as deadly weapons?

Magical Girl

Wendigo
Requiem ex Inferni
Sen Natsu
So your argument is that ten thousand people are killed by firearms in a year, and a little over a thousand are killed by any kind of blunt object counting the body, so we should register hands as deadly weapons?
[Earnest]

They could be merely voicing a criticism of the New York semi-automatic rifle ban.
Wendigo
Requiem ex Inferni
Sen Natsu

While such a requirement is a myth, there are cases where judges treat martial artists in fights differently, and there are cases where police treat a suspect known for boxing or fighting differently. I recall one scenario where the plaintiff said "but he broke my arm!" and the judge said something to the effect of "well you should have left him alone"
Sen Natsu
Well, obviously we should remove guns so people can protect themselves better, since hands/feet/fists are so effective.

emotion_awesome

I wouldn't discredit just how dangerous hands and feet can be.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
HMS Thunder Child
Wendigo
Requiem ex Inferni
Sen Natsu
[Earnest]

They could be merely voicing a criticism of the New York semi-automatic rifle ban.
Still seems t' me, the argument neglects that a good 70%+ of our murders involved firearms, and 94%+ of our gang killings involved firearms. You can kill a person with all manner of objects or substances with varying degrees of utility, but guns are right up there.

Magical Girl

Wendigo
HMS Thunder Child
Wendigo
Requiem ex Inferni
Sen Natsu
[Earnest]

Still seems t' me, the argument neglects that a good 70%+ of our murders involved firearms, and 94%+ of our gang killings involved firearms. You can kill a person with all manner of objects or substances with varying degrees of utility, but guns are right up there.
[Earnest]

I suppose, though suggesting that an unrelated weapon be banned is disingenuous to me. The New York thing is supposed to be about helping, and I suppose it does because it would mean less rifle deaths, but when you have a white whale around...

I figure that's why they went for the smaller, less consequential fish. Fear of Ahabbing.
HMS Thunder Child
Wendigo
HMS Thunder Child
Wendigo
Requiem ex Inferni
Sen Natsu
[Earnest]

[Earnest]

I suppose, though suggesting that an unrelated weapon be banned is disingenuous to me. The New York thing is supposed to be about helping, and I suppose it does because it would mean less rifle deaths, but when you have a white whale around...

I figure that's why they went for the smaller, less consequential fish. Fear of Ahabbing.

I think it's like 1% or 3% of all shootings are by ARs and rifles. In other words, it is a boogeyman made to scare the hell out of people.
The number is just under 70% for all gun related homicides, but you also have to factor in the gang banger number, as that is not separate, which is 90 odd % of their numbers.

Eloquent Streaker

Wendigo
Requiem ex Inferni
Sen Natsu
You might want to take a look at those stats again, bro. There were 8,583 murders with firearms in 2011, not "ten thousand".

Also, I wasn't posing any sort of argument here, so I'm not sure where you got the notion that I was. The only possible argument here would be the "if we ban guns we gotta ban anything else that kills people" argument, and I'm the first one to admit that argument doesn't work; firearms are designed to kill, whereas objects like hammer, bats and cars (and any knife not designed for hunting or combat) are not.

I don't deny that firearms are used in the majority of all murders; I simply don't believe that restricting the ability of law-abiding citizens to buy them will do anything to bring that rate down.

2,550 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
zosh
Lord Balmung of Azure Sky
Why do you assume all "lefties" want to ban guns? My father's an Obama-bot, is a former life member of the NRA, and has an extensive gun collection.

Not "all" but you won't find any conservatives that want to. I know liberals that HAVE guns but want them banned lol
Ah, I love those people. The same kinds on government assistance while screaming for cuts so "other" people don't get it, but seem to forget they would just be easily effected.

neutral

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Requiem ex Inferni
You might want to take a look at those stats again, bro. There were 8,583 murders with firearms in 2011, not "ten thousand".
Look at 2007; that was where I was looking when I picked numbers. 10,129 (total firearms), 647 (blunt objects), 869 (hands, feet &c). Makes 1,519 any kind of beating, 10,129 any kind of gun.

For 2011, that's 8,583 which killed using guns, 1,224 which killed using beatings. (Making beatings 14.2% of the quantity of gun murders, rather than 14.9%.)

Quote:
Also, I wasn't posing any sort of argument here, so I'm not sure where you got the notion that I was.
Of course you're making an argument, or you wouldn't be here. Don't try to bullshit.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff