Welcome to Gaia! ::

Perfect Hunter

9,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
Was going to post yesterday, but was lazy and figured I'd wait to see if somebody else would because ******** making threads on my days off. But since it isn't here still, may as well.

ABC News
Joe Arpaio's Volunteer Posse Officially Reports for School

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio announced that at least 59 Phoenix-area schools now have armed volunteers posted outside to deter would-be shooters from carrying out acts of violence.

About 3,000 volunteers will patrol the 59 schools in the sheriff's primary jurisdiction each school day for the rest of the year, Arpaio said at a news conference on Wednesday. At least 500 of the volunteers will be armed and authorized to use the same weapons as deputies do.

The sheriff told ABC/Univision in December that he has the authority to direct the posse to take action if it is warranted, but said the guards are intended to be a deterent.

Arpaio decided to post posse members outside of schools in the wake of the Newtown, Connecticut school shooting and another incident involving a 16-year-old Mesa, Arizona student who threatened to kill fellow students at Red Mountain High School. The girl was arrested after she posted threats on a YouTube channel, before any shooting took place. The school is not one of the 59 the posse will monitor.

"We owe it to the community to do whatever we can to offset the fear many parents, teachers and administrators are experiencing as a result of the school shootings our nation has endured," Arpaio said in a statement.

But some are nervous about the idea, and even more concerned about who Arpaio authorizes to carry out actions on his behalf.

"They have guns? No, I don't like that and I can't believe something like this would be implemented without speaking to parents first," Susanne Ross told 3TV.

The posse began patrolling on Monday, and officially rolled out Wednesday, but not all school officials received advance notice.

"I was a little confused when I was in parking lot with those two gentlemen in the marked car. It sure seemed like from the uniforms they might have been regular deputies, but I'm not sure I've seen uniforms for the posse members," Taft elementary principal Russ Heath told a local ABC affiliate.

Arpaio told ABC/Univision in December that it was not up for debate whether the schools had posse members posted outside.

"It doesn't matter whether they like it or don't," he said. "I'm still going to do it. I can't imagine criticism coming when they're given free protection."

However, there are concerns about who is allowed to become a posse member.

According to a local CBS affiliate, some of Arpaio's posse members have criminal records.

Their investigation "uncovered a number of posse members with arrests for assault, drug possession, domestic violence, sex crimes against children, disorderly conduct, impersonating an officer - and the list goes on."

While the posse application says applicants may be disqualified if they have a felony conviction or have used illegal drugs, CBS interviewed a posse member who was arrested for cocaine possession.

The full investigation is available here.

As far as the selection of schools being monitored goes, Arpaio is only focusing on those where he has "primary jurisdiction." While there are hundreds of schools in Maricopa County, "the sheriff is responsible for unincorporated areas in different cities or contract cities," according to Maricopa County Deputy Joaquin Enriquez.

Litchfield Park is a contract city, Enriquez said, meaning its residents rely on the sheriff's office for police services. Other areas of the county, such as downtown Phoenix, have their own police force, and Arpaio does not have primary jurisdiction there.

Maricopa County is divided into seven districts, and Arpaio's posse will be dispersed to monitor schools in parts of all seven regions.

"There is a lot of discussion on the national level about placing an armed law enforcement officer in every school," Arpaio said in a statement. "And while I support that idea, this is not what our posse program is designed to be. School administrators, teachers and parents must understand that the posse's focus will be strictly to enhance security in the areas surrounding our schools."

Source

Sheriff Arpaio being this gentlemen, fairly well-renowned for being 'the toughest sheriff in America' by his supporters and for what I'll simply refer to as a variety of corruption, discrimination, and abuse of power allegations from his detractors. This posse, by the way, is not a new organisation but rather the current iteration of a long-standing program in Maripoca County that has previously assisted the Sheriff's Department in such innocuous duties as traffic control and clerical work, but which has -under Arpaio- also assisted deputies with immigration sweeps and the sheriff's probe into the validity of Barack Obama's birth certificate (which they've naturally found to be a forgery).

So, with that background out of the way, don't you guys think this is the most awesome idea you've ever heard? I certainly do. I think it's hilaaaaaarious.

Mega Noob

This guy, seriously. "Hey, I posted an armed, coke-snorting child molester outside your kid's school. It's free, no need to thank me. What do you mean you're calling the cops, it's free, a*****e"

Perfect Hunter

9,850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Brandisher 100
Heimdalr
This guy, seriously. "Hey, I posted an armed, coke-snorting child molester outside your kid's school. It's free, no need to thank me. What do you mean you're calling the cops, it's free, a*****e"

I'm actually disappointed he's not trying to find a way to charge them.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
Quote:
And then there was Jacob Cutler. According to a Flagstaff police report, Cutler threw his girlfriend to the ground and choked her while trying to sexually assault her in 2008. When she didn't cooperate, he allegedly threatened to call police and said they would side with him, because he "has a badge." He was a member of Arpaio's posse at the time.

CBS 5 Investigates tracked Clark down and asked him if he feels he is above the law.

"I can't answer anything on posse stuff," Clark told us. "I'm forbidden to answer anything with the sheriff's office."

And then there's the accusation from 2007 that a driver backed into Clark's car and then left the scene. Clark allegedly followed the car, rammed the vehicle and held the driver and passenger at gunpoint, all while he was off-duty.

Yet, Clark still remains in the posse.

Posse members provide their own uniforms, handcuffs and guns, which can cost as much as $2,300.

http://www.kpho.com/story/17159125/criminal-pasts-dont-disqualify-members-of-arpaio-posse

Classy.

Liberal Hunter

3,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200
Wendigo

http://www.kpho.com/story/17159125/criminal-pasts-dont-disqualify-members-of-arpaio-posse

Classy.

Oh boy

I don't want to sound morbid
but how many days before one of his young guns gets arrested for kidnapping, sexual assault, and or physical assault?
I'd personally like to see higher qualifications than 'do you have a pulse and finger?'

Aged Lunatic

*sigh* Man, Joey can give WBC a run for their money in the media/attention whore olympics, can't he?
God bless Sheriff Joe.

If anything else, he can get s**t done while the rest of the world arguing about it. At this point I'm so sick of everyone complaining and getting nothing done that when someone actually takes an action, no matter how idiotic, short-sighted, or dangerous it is, I applaud them. What happened to you America? You used to be the one making decisions and calling the shots, rather than sit around, getting fat and soft talking about how something needs to be done.

Look on the bright side, if this works, we have safer schools. If it backfires, the Liberals will have more ammunition for their fat-and-soft debates.
Archaix_the_Ghast v2
If it backfires, the Liberals will have more ammunition for their fat-and-soft debates.
No, if it backfires we'll have more dead children on our hands.
I am not happy with the current flow of gun culture and it's adversaries. I preferred the happy bubbly version of FPS Russia, the Gun engraving kid from American Guns, and California/Chicago Land being the anti gun capitals of America. I don't like this sudden criss crossing creeping legislation and reactionary behavior. The pendulum is going too far and fast and if it freezes into a position right now, I fear it will be too radical either way - either huge reactionary inducing bans or massive numbers of armed people in all the wrong places.
Old Blue Collar Joe
I'd personally like to see higher qualifications than 'do you have a pulse and finger?'
Also oddly, same requirements for wallmart greeter.
Lord Cameron
Archaix_the_Ghast v2
If it backfires, the Liberals will have more ammunition for their fat-and-soft debates.
No, if it backfires we'll have more dead children on our hands.
Of course the solution to that would be to arm the kids. That can't go wrong now can it?
Sen Natsu
Old Blue Collar Joe
Also oddly, same requirements for wallmart greeter.

I've seen some greeters where the pulse is disputable.

Liberal Genius

Armed guards in schools? I'm trying to make sense of it from the context of a normal society.

I'll get back to this thread when I make sense of this, and come to terms with the notion that cops have placed armed volunteers at schools to protect them from gunmen.

The idiots will point out that the armed volunteer guards are for protecting the kids.

I'll point out the part where you have so many mass-shooting gunmen to begin with.

Mega Noob

AnarchoPhiliac
Armed guards in schools? I'm trying to make sense of it from the context of a normal society.

China and Zimbabwe are relatively normal societies in that they eat food, drink water and mostly sleep at night.

Seriously though, they're the only two examples I can find of armed guards in schools. I know there's more in African countries around South Sudan and Uganda, and several places where only the rich kids' schools have or need armed guards.

Oh yes, I overlooked this. Columbine High had one.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff