Dedicated Poster

7,775 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
N3bu
Apple targets more Samsung products in patent suit

reuters
(Reuters) - Seeking to capitalize on a major legal victory over its rival Samsung Electronics Ltd, Apple Inc has asked a federal court in a separate case to find that four additional Samsung products, including the Galaxy S III, infringe Apple's patents.

In February, Apple alleged that at least 17 Samsung products infringe its patents. In a court filing made in San Jose federal court on Friday, Apple added four more products to the list of allegedly infringing products that have been released beginning in August 2011 and continuing through this month.

Apple won a major victory over Samsung last Friday in a separate case when a jury found that the South Korean company had copied critical features of the hugely popular iPhone and iPad and awarded the U.S. company $1.05 billion in damages.

Samsung representatives did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The case is U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, Apple Inc v. Samsung Electronics Ltd, et al 12-00630.

(Reporting by Andrew Longstreth; Editing by Richard Chang)
Two of these patents are "slide to unlock" and the universal search feature which Samsung have been patching out already. It's ******** pathetic.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/31/apple-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-galaxy-note-patent-lawsuit/
Apple's patents are kind of like patenting sleeves on shirts.
Noogie
N3bu

reuters
(Reuters) - Seeking to capitalize on a major legal victory over its rival Samsung Electronics Ltd, Apple Inc has asked a federal court in a separate case to find that four additional Samsung products, including the Galaxy S III, infringe Apple's patents.

In February, Apple alleged that at least 17 Samsung products infringe its patents. In a court filing made in San Jose federal court on Friday, Apple added four more products to the list of allegedly infringing products that have been released beginning in August 2011 and continuing through this month.

Apple won a major victory over Samsung last Friday in a separate case when a jury found that the South Korean company had copied critical features of the hugely popular iPhone and iPad and awarded the U.S. company $1.05 billion in damages.

The case is U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, Apple Inc v. Samsung Electronics Ltd, et al 12-00630.

Two of these patents are "slide to unlock" and the universal search feature which Samsung have been patching out already. It's ******** pathetic.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/31/apple-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-galaxy-note-patent-lawsuit/

Honestly, as ridiculous as this is to me, I can't really say that I'm surprised about this. Apple is only fulfilling the will of Steve Jobs. iirc, he's been quoted as saying he hated Samsung products with a passion, and would fight to destroy them to his dying breath.

Or that might've been Jobs view about Android (which if, and God forbid this actually happens, Apple wins the appeal against Samsung, will most likely try and go after Google next). Either way, the late Steve Jobs really despised his competitors in the smartphone and tablet market.

I really hope that the court tells Apple to piss off and throws out this case, 'cause it looks like Apple's trying to sue its way into a de facto monopoly for American consumers.

As the Zen Master says, "We'll see."

Devoted Explorer

METALFumasu
Noogie
N3bu

reuters

Honestly, as ridiculous as this is to me, I can't really say that I'm surprised about this. Apple is only fulfilling the will of Steve Jobs. iirc, he's been quoted as saying he hated Samsung products with a passion, and would fight to destroy them to his dying breath.

Or that might've been Jobs view about Android (which if, and God forbid this actually happens, Apple wins the appeal against Samsung, will most likely try and go after Google next). Either way, the late Steve Jobs really despised his competitors in the smartphone and tablet market.

I really hope that the court tells Apple to piss off and throws out this case, 'cause it looks like Apple's trying to sue its way into a de facto monopoly for American consumers.

Best part of it is, Apple knows that by taking it to jury trials, they've got pretty good shot at winning. Assholes.
Major Lima Charlie
Best part of it is, Apple knows that by taking it to jury trials, they've got pretty good shot at winning. Assholes.

To be fair, the jury for the first trial was pushed toward the verdict they reached by a jury foreman who wanted "to punish Samsung", disobeyed the jury instructions, ignored most of the key evidence presented, and in general were a batch of complete morons.

One would hope that a jury for this particular trial wouldn't be as stupid, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Devoted Explorer

METALFumasu
Major Lima Charlie

To be fair, the jury for the first trial was pushed toward the verdict they reached by a jury foreman who wanted "to punish Samsung", disobeyed the jury instructions, ignored most of the key evidence presented, and in general were a batch of complete morons.

One would hope that a jury for this particular trial wouldn't be as stupid, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

If the Jury well was so poisoned, why didn't the judge throw them the ******** out? What the s**t?

Dedicated Poster

7,775 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
We all know that Samsung presented some evidence too late to be allowed in the trial, can anyone tell me if they would be able to use such evidence in the appeal? Assuming they don't fight the result solely on the shitty patent holder jury foreman at least.

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Noogie
We all know that Samsung presented some evidence too late to be allowed in the trial, can anyone tell me if they would be able to use such evidence in the appeal? Assuming they don't fight the result solely on the shitty patent holder jury foreman at least.

I've only just begun Evidence so don't quote me, but I'd think if the error was preserved for the record, they could argue before the appellate court that the (1) jury should have been allowed to consider it and; (2) such consideration would have affected the outcome.
METALFumasu
Noogie
N3bu

reuters

Jobs was a greedy a** t**t, so no loss there. Fortunately, word is starting that Google, who owns android, is preparing to sue the ******** out of Apple for infringing on copyrights they own that the Iphone utilizes.
I really hope Apple folds. The company has no desire to advance tech. They want to be a monopoly and run everyone else out of business.

Dedicated Poster

7,775 Points
  • Voter 100
  • Generous 100
  • Tycoon 200
Samsung are making their move.

Quote:
The South Korean firm's filing with the court is partially redacted, but the section that's been blacked out is likely to claim jury misconduct, as previous cases cited to back it up are ones where jury misconduct prompted a new trial.

Quote:
There's also the outspoken foreman of the jury and patent-holder Velvin Hogan, whose statements since the trial appear to suggest that he used his own patent experiences to help the other jurors.

Samsung attached a portion of the jury selection process in which Hogan promises he can set aside his own understanding of patents and only use the judge's interpretation of the law and her instructions. But after the trial, Hogan and other jurors who gave interviews said that his experience helped them come to their decision. Juror Manuel Ilagan told CNET that Hogan used his patent expertise:

"He owned patents himself...so he took us through his experience. After that it was easier," he said.

Meanwhile, Hogan himself told Bloomberg TV the same thing.

"Some were not sure of how prior art could either render a patent acceptable or whether it could invalidate it... (I) laid it out for them," he said.

Quote:
"A new trial is also necessary due to inconsistencies in the jury's verdict on the '915 patent. The jury found that the Ace, Intercept, and Replenish devices do not infringe the '915 patent but the remainder of the accused devices do," the filing explained.

"These verdicts are irreconcilably inconsistent, for the Ace, Intercept and Replenish exhibit the same behaviour as devices found to infringe, including the Droid Charge, Indulge, Epic 4G, Infuse 4G, Transform and Prevail.

"The same Android version found in the non-infringing Ace (Android 2.2.1) and the Intercept and Replenish (Android 2.22) are found in these other devices which the jury found to be infringing."

Mega Noob

This Korean firm, in suing a large American company, was expecting a fair trial - by an American jury, among which half are probably iPhone owners themselves. Let's just casually hand this to the Supreme Court already.

Profitable Prophet

8,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
Heimdalr
This Korean firm, in suing a large American company, was expecting a fair trial - by an American jury, among which half are probably iPhone owners themselves.

I doubt it has anything to do with something like racism so much as there's no way juries are going to fully understand the intricacies of patent law and accompanying instructions.

Quote:
Let's just casually hand this to the Supreme Court already.

lol

Mega Noob

Less Than Liz
Heimdalr
This Korean firm, in suing a large American company, was expecting a fair trial - by an American jury, among which half are probably iPhone owners themselves.

I doubt it has anything to do with something like racism so much as there's no way juries are going to fully understand the intricacies of patent law and accompanying instructions.

Quote:
Let's just casually hand this to the Supreme Court already.

lol

Not racism exactly, just remotely related. It could be the lack of understanding, supplemented by an unwillingness to understand, in favor of doing what they feel is right. This can be rooted in an in-group bias (economic patriotism)

I think it will take an unusually lenient settlement offer to have Samsung back down on this. Sales of their most popular consumer electronics devices are at stake, and some models have already been temporarily removed from affected markets.

edit: To clarify, I don't think it's a positive thing that cases like these end up in the SCOTUS but when big players both have good hands the stakes tend to be high.
I hope you guys realize this goes beyond just the surface of Apple Vs Samsung. The underlying issue involves more than just patents.

1. Samsung is google's biggest customer in terms of using the android OS. Apple and google had some bad blood for a while now. Seeing how most of the claims in the suit has to do with the OS, why didnt they sue google directly? Because financially, technologically, and legally google can match Apple in a lawsuit. That means Apple would have a much harder time winning the case. So instead they go after google's biggest customer, and by hurting samsung they indirectly hurt google.

2. Apple's primary hardware manufacturer is Foxconn. And not too long ago had a huge deal that went sour with Samsung. There was likely pressure comming from Foxconn pushing apple to go after Samsung.

3. Adobe, and mozzila both have a long history with google as well. Most noteable flash, which is unsupported by the iOS. The software battle has been going on for a while and I'm sure some of you with iPhones can attest to how flash does not work on iOS. Although minor influnces, they definitely contributed to the big fight over software patent rights, etc.

4. Aaaand of course the big giant Microsoft. Most of you already know the history behind Microsoft and Apple.

All these conflicts has been boiling for a long time and its just a matter of time that suing and corporate fights will break out. In the technology world its literally a world war of alligances vs alligances. And we as consumers get bent over and ******** for it.

Mega Noob

Jigger_Of_Octane

Steve Jobs did say he was willing to, and I quote, "go thermonuclear war" to destroy Android. The board of directors probably feel compelled to pick up where he left off, for their own purposes.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff