Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm doing a Term paper and I need some input. My topic is - Occupy Wallstreet: What is it to you?
Basically seeing if it actually affects people and who it affects. What the candidates think of it and who opposes and supports it.
I have been doing some research on it and all I keep getting is people with a degree or even more than 2 degrees complaining about their low income job and how its hard for them to even find a job pursuing what they went to college for, and also complaining that they have a student loan debt. With all these "I am the 99%" relating to complaints about how they are in debt with student loans, can't find a job, etc etc, I was thinking.. why protest at Wall Street and why not at the Universities? I mean, it seems like that is what they are complaining about.... how even if you get your education and degrees you can't do what you wanted to do or be what you wanted to be.
But anyway, I just thought maybe others inputs would help me understand more of this situation, protest, movement, whatever you want to call it.

Any help or discussion is appreciated. c:
I've begun to be very supportive of elements of Occupy. I think quite literally "Occupy" is a vessel that can be used for whatever passion someone has politically or social justice wise. So while it started off as anti wall street, I think it's expanded to be very regional specific to issues and needs in communities.
The Occupy Movement started with the best of intentions, standing up to the various banks that bought and sold mortgages, sometimes illegally, leading to a massive economic crisis, many of whom were getting bailed out while the people who suffered from their actions were not. Then it became something similar, a huge movement to end income inequality in this country.

I stopped joining them when I could no longer tell what it was about. Last time I went to Occupy Chicago, it was a bunch of people holding up pictures of Ron Paul shouting "End the Fed." So, ultimately, it's become a huge mess.

It's a shame, because I WANTED that original movement to grow.

Shadowy Powerhouse

9,125 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Super Tipsy 200
It is a complete failure to throw Mark C. Brickell in jail.
pockybot
I've begun to be very supportive of elements of Occupy. I think quite literally "Occupy" is a vessel that can be used for whatever passion someone has politically or social justice wise. So while it started off as anti wall street, I think it's expanded to be very regional specific to issues and needs in communities.
It's akin to slacktivism. The least they could do is provision up and march a few hundred miles.
The Living Force
The least they could do is provision up and march a few hundred miles.
you mean like they did in november?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/occupy-wall-street-protesters-finish-journey-from-zuccotti-park-to-dc/2011/11/21/gIQAz6PDjN_blog.html
Jaydi Blaze
The Living Force
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/occupy-wall-street-protesters-finish-journey-from-zuccotti-park-to-dc/2011/11/21/gIQAz6PDjN_blog.html
Wow. Hadn't heard about it, though they only started with 21 people.

Slightly less impressive.

Why couldn't more have done it?
The Living Force
Jaydi Blaze
The Living Force

Because they had jobs to do and families in the area.
Jaydi Blaze
The Living Force
Jaydi Blaze
The Living Force

Wait, so you're telling me that OWS people have jobs and families?

I'VE BEEN MISLED
The Living Force
Jaydi Blaze
The Living Force
Jaydi Blaze
The Living Force

I'VE BEEN MISLED
according to the demographic, there's only about 12% unemployed. Which is why when people say "get a job" I say "get a clue" and point them to it.

which promptly brings out buttrage.
Jaydi Blaze
The Living Force
Jaydi Blaze
The Living Force
Jaydi Blaze
The Living Force

I'VE BEEN MISLED
according to the demographic, there's only about 12% unemployed. Which is why when people say "get a job" I say "get a clue" and point them to it.

Lol. They have to have an irrelevant reason to call y'all out. It's not like they have any legitimate qualms to raise.
The Living Force
Jaydi Blaze
The Living Force
Jaydi Blaze
The Living Force

I'VE BEEN MISLED

Lol. They have to have an irrelevant reason to call y'all out. It's not like they have any legitimate qualms to raise.
Haters gonna rate. Media says "yell at these people" and the sheep do what they're told.
Jaydi Blaze
The Living Force
Jaydi Blaze
The Living Force
Jaydi Blaze
The Living Force

I'VE BEEN MISLED

Haters gonna rate. Media says "yell at these people" and the sheep do what they're told.
Media's largely done its part. They've got people so wound up, they'll be top-spinnin' for a while.

8,100 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Overstocked 200
From what I've read and agree with, the OWS was doomed to fail unless blood was spilled. Protesting in the middle of the street will do nothing to stop the 1% from doing what they do.

Shameless Heckler

12,225 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Matt Pniewski
The Occupy Movement started with the best of intentions, standing up to the various banks that bought and sold mortgages, sometimes illegally, leading to a massive economic crisis, many of whom were getting bailed out while the people who suffered from their actions were not. Then it became something similar, a huge movement to end income inequality in this country.

I stopped joining them when I could no longer tell what it was about. Last time I went to Occupy Chicago, it was a bunch of people holding up pictures of Ron Paul shouting "End the Fed." So, ultimately, it's become a huge mess.

It's a shame, because I WANTED that original movement to grow.

Yep it turned into a huge viral marketing campaign to get Ron Paul elected, It would not surprise me in the slightest if it was proven that they organized the entire thing right from the beginning.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff