Welcome to Gaia! ::

Since immigration is an issue regarding foreign relations, then why the hell are states making up rules regarding customs? If anything, that is a federal issue.

Ferocious Browser

I always thought the quotas and laws Were federal. At least the ones I was taught about for like the 17-1800s.... it's been a long time since high school sad .

If you mean AZ's recent we-are-gonna-do-whatever-laws, then no comment since I don't know if they are even allowed to do that.
God Emperor Akhenaton
Since immigration is an issue regarding foreign relations, then why the hell are states making up rules regarding customs? If anything, that is a federal issue.

What are you talking about specifically? States making up immigration rules would be a conflicting federal/state issue. Or are you talking about enforcement of immigration laws? You start bringing in drug or human trafficking ... that's not a federal issue anymore.
God Emperor Akhenaton

Well, since the feds answer is to stick their head in the sand and ignore it, what would you expect the states to do?

Shameless Seeker

Eveille
I always thought the quotas and laws Were federal. At least the ones I was taught about for like the 17-1800s.... it's been a long time since high school sad .

If you mean AZ's recent we-are-gonna-do-whatever-laws, then no comment since I don't know if they are even allowed to do that.

And the Obama administration is staking their claim that it is a federal mater, and AZ has no place enacting their law.

Expect to see it before the Supreme Court.

Questionable Codger

Old Blue Collar Joe
God Emperor Akhenaton

Well, since the feds answer is to stick their head in the sand and ignore it, what would you expect the states to do?

Might want to check that link, Joe. Sticking their heads in the sand indeed.
Old Blue Collar Joe
God Emperor Akhenaton

Stick their head in the sand and ignore it? More people immigrated to the US under Bush and more people got deported under Obama.

Questionable Codger

God Emperor Akhenaton
Old Blue Collar Joe
God Emperor Akhenaton

Stick their head in the sand and ignore it? More people immigrated to the US under Bush and more people got deported under Obama.

I think Joe's having another of those senior moments. It happens to him from time to time.
God Emperor Akhenaton
Old Blue Collar Joe
God Emperor Akhenaton

Hold on. Never once said that Bush was any better. If you remember, he wanted to pull a Reagan and grant another amnesty bill. I wasn't for that either. Nor do I say that they do absolutely nothing, but they damn well don't do anywhere near as much as needs to be done. We don't have border 'security'. We have a sieve that we might catch five percent with.

Questionable Codger

Beefing up the border takes money. Money some people claim we don't have to spend, and it also takes people. You know, those things that the government is busy laying off, since they are a drain on the money. I suppose you could mine the entire border between the US and Canada (or Mexico). That would be cheaper than hiring people, and would give incentive to companies that make mines.

Flint Jakobs's Compadre

Feral Faun

Raxa
Eveille

And the Obama administration is staking their claim that it is a federal mater, and AZ has no place enacting their law.

I thought they already had and gave support on other AZ immigration laws.

All I know is that SB1070 did get some adjustments after going up through the courts.

Sparkly Shapeshifter

12,950 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Person of Interest 200
I honestly have no idea.

neutral

Shameless Seeker

Slick Southpaw
Raxa
Eveille

All I know is that SB1070 did get some adjustments after going up through the courts.

I thought it had been argued already, but I wasn't sure, thank you for the link.

However, this case is fundamentally different than the previous case. This one isn't targeted at private businesses hiring illegal immigrants, this bill mandates police hold those unable to prove their immigration status until they can be verified. There was an infamous issue in Arizona where I believe a Honda executive was held by police for a few hours so they could verify his citizenship.

I think the supreme court is unlikely to take this case as similar to their previous ruling, as evidenced by the fact they heard the case at all. If it was open and closed based on their previous ruling on the business death penalty, they would have just cited that, and not heard arguments. The fact they did means they feel this case has enough differences to be argued again.
Raxa
Slick Southpaw
Raxa
Eveille

I thought it had been argued already, but I wasn't sure, thank you for the link.

However, this case is fundamentally different than the previous case. This one isn't targeted at private businesses hiring illegal immigrants, this bill mandates police hold those unable to prove their immigration status until they can be verified. There was an infamous issue in Arizona where I believe a Honda executive was held by police for a few hours so they could verify his citizenship.

I think the supreme court is unlikely to take this case as similar to their previous ruling, as evidenced by the fact they heard the case at all. If it was open and closed based on their previous ruling on the business death penalty, they would have just cited that, and not heard arguments. The fact they did means they feel this case has enough differences to be argued again.

That was in Alabama, not Arizona. And LA police just decided it's 'mean' to impound an illegals car if they don't have a license, insurance or other required documentation. But don't worry!! The US Citizens that get busted for driving without a license? THEY get their s**t impounded.
Go LA. ******** idiots.
Old Blue Collar Joe
God Emperor Akhenaton
Old Blue Collar Joe
God Emperor Akhenaton

Hold on. Never once said that Bush was any better. If you remember, he wanted to pull a Reagan and grant another amnesty bill. I wasn't for that either. Nor do I say that they do absolutely nothing, but they damn well don't do anywhere near as much as needs to be done. We don't have border 'security'. We have a sieve that we might catch five percent with.
Did you just switch this from being about imigration to being about bush?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff