Welcome to Gaia! ::

i recently did a paper on the terminally ill having the right to choose death.
after viewing many different sides and many different takes on the sensitive subject i have found it is something i am into and something i am for....

i would like to hear others oppoinons .... for or against its the same ,,, it is a serious topic and one that has become prevelant in many discussions i feel it is important to educate yourself in all views, therefore i am asking for the posts of everyone, for or against like i said.... and please specify your reasoning
I believe that if a person is going to die a long and painful death, then they should be given the right to end it. Sometimes the pain is to much even to live with, and it is the last bit of control these people have over their own lives. Plus, it is not as if it will effect anyone else's life significantly, let the person decide for themselves.
I firmly believe that people have a right to die even if there is nothing wrong with them at all.. Who am I to meddle in someones life and tell them its worth living when I personally do not experiance their torment.. I would be especially for the terminally ill, those with extreme mental handicap and extreme mental illness having the right to opt out with death. life is something that only can be used by the individual himself or herself other people shouldn't have a say in their existance *unless of of course your in a coma with no hope of regaining consciousness*

I approve of assisted suicide as i will call it
The situation is prone to get sticky...say there was a doctor who happened to have a strong racial prejudice...and he diagnosed a colored man with a brain tumor that couldn't be operated on, which isnt true, but he says so just to persuade the colored man to let him end his life.

Doesn't sound cool, does it?
if they are consious, then they cannot die, my idea anyway

Distinct Informer

If they want to die let them die. Their choice different from abortion where the victim can't choos. I would perfer them going into the military and dieing for our country
Pwn3r_F0x
If they want to die let them die. Their choice different from abortion where the victim can't choos. I would perfer them going into the military and dieing for our country

The terminally ill rarely make good soldiers.

stalebiscuit
if they are consious, then they cannot die, my idea anyway

Seems kind of harsh, care to give your reasoning?

scoof
The situation is prone to get sticky...say there was a doctor who happened to have a strong racial prejudice...and he diagnosed a colored man with a brain tumor that couldn't be operated on, which isnt true, but he says so just to persuade the colored man to let him end his life.

Then eventually that doctor will be discovered and prosecuted. Nothing is perfect. Are you going to tell tons of people in terrible pain to grin and bear it because you can't find a perfect system to end their pain?
scoof

It's called a second oppion. Most people with termanal illness have at least one, that would prevent this senario, also inoperative doen't mean not curable, there are other methods to treat tumors. Euthenasia is a last resort when all other forms of treament have failed and all that is left is a painful death. In my oppion it is a diginfied way to die, before the illness takes away all ablity to reason, to be without pain ect.
another thing I'm against Bush in is euthanasia. If someone is in so much pain and their condition is rereversible, then they should be allowed the choice to end their lives...
tylara67

scoof

Then eventually that doctor will be discovered and prosecuted. Nothing is perfect. Are you going to tell tons of people in terrible pain to grin and bear it because you can't find a perfect system to end their pain?

uh, tell tons of people in terrible pain? the case he was just talking about was where a doctor lied to his patient. The patient may have even imagined great pain from this imaginary brain tumor. Are you going to let people kill themselves if it may be possibly for a lie? How will the doctor eventually be discovered if their patient is dead unless by some random chance?
mohawkpax
tylara67

scoof

uh, tell tons of people in terrible pain? the case he was just talking about was where a doctor lied to his patient. The patient may have even imagined great pain from this imaginary brain tumor. Are you going to let people kill themselves if it may be possibly for a lie? How will the doctor eventually be discovered if their patient is dead unless by some random chance?

1. I was referring to people who really do have painful terminal illnesses, who would be denied an end to their suffering because scoof is worried about one bad apple. Or are you suggesting that everyone with such an illness was misdiagnosed by someone prejudiced against them, and their pain is just psychosomatic?

2. As mentioned before, most people get a second opinon when diagnosed with an incurable terminal illness. Makes it fairly easy to catch such people.
scoof

Apart from anything else... calling someone coloured is offensive where I come from...

On the Subject of Euthanasia:
Yes to someone making the decision for themselves, even if they need help doing so. Everyone has a right to die.
A little more cloudy on Euthanasia for people unable to make their own choice, but I think that if you have no chance of recovery and your only future is pain, then it is a valid choice for the relatives or professionals to make.
We do better by our pets when we end their pain by putting them down. If the person diagnosed with a terminal illness wishes to die, then they should be given the means to do it. I would rather die with my dignity rather than a twisted, diseased shell of what I was.

6,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
my opinion is that iw oudl rather live in dire pain forever than die in ease.....pain is life, if you cannot deal with pain you should not have been born

nto that you're weak but you know that pain if life and life is pain, thats mortality, but its sad, i had a friend whow as dying of cancer and i did everything i could to ease her pain, i was with ehr when she died, she battled cancer for 10 years and refused to right to die on many occasions, her words were: "Pain has been my life and i did not complain, no one else should" she died with a smile, me and her were in love, my heart has been broken ever since

so i say no death, live to the end like a true being of superiority, i would rather be like my poor Michelle and die a horrible and agonizing slow death at the side of my friends and family than take the easy way out.....
mohawkpax
tylara67

scoof

As far as terrible pain goes, it should be noted that a person can be put under near-unbearable conditions with a false diagnosis of a brain tumor. For one thing...Kimo sucks. It sucks big time.

also...doctors aren't prosecuted for false diagnosis or mal-practice unless someone files suit.

and i'd like to point out that i have very little trust in doctors...for personal reasons...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff