Welcome to Gaia! ::

How much effort it really takes to get a Shiny.

Before I took a hiatus from this website, I saw a metric ******** of threads about people complaining that they hadn't gotten a Shiny from the Masuda method after only 100 eggs or so, or that you've been soft resetting for two weeks and still haven't had luck.

s**t, I understand the frustration, but some of you are just straight up whiners (if you're not, then this won't apply to you). And then the people using PowerSave... But that's for another day and another topic.
Bottom line is that your s**t takes time and it'll happen when it wants to happen, and it will happen when the chances line up. I've spent three months on Emerald's broken RNG before I got a Shiny Treecko, two months before I got a Shiny Cobalion, and two and a half months before I got a Shiny Deino. At this point, Game Freak has paid for the dinner and the movie, it's just that you guys aren't willing to make the date work.
And I worked on my Pokedex without any of the forum's help, just myself and two friends from my friend's list. The Shiny Charm was my reward. Use your tools, dammit.

IRL Otaku

19,515 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
The Child of Aura
some of you are just straight up whiners
You included.
phoenix of the damned
The Child of Aura
You included.

I don't b***h about how long it takes, and I don't give up and go to hackers.

IRL Otaku

19,515 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
The Child of Aura
phoenix of the damned
The Child of Aura
You included.

I don't b***h about how long it takes, and I don't give up and go to hackers.
No, but you are complaining about other people complaining and you're basically starting a flame war with people who disagree with you about that. I know people who have spent mere hours trying to get a shiny, and who have spent months and they both complain about the same amount. And you kinda are complaining about how long it takes by saying that you had to wait X time and just because you can wait, other people should too? Just let them complain. They're not hurting anyone. Your post isn't really inspiring to anyone either; It's just demeaning and, in my honest opinion, uncalled for. The people who frequent this thread are usually looking to help one another, not shoot each other down.

Magical Businessman

Not everyone has the patience to grind for something with an insanely low chance of happening. Like really, it took long enough for me to get the Muramasa in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, which is like, a 1-in-256 chance of dropping or something like that. To get a shiny Pokemon is a 1-in-8192 chance, so nooooooo thank you... I'm aware things like the Masuda method and the Shiny Charm increases those odds, but I have horrible luck when it comes to getting something with more than a 1-in-64 chance of happening.

Lazy Werewolf

It seems like the recent gens have upped the chances of finding shinies. Either that or more people are getting lucky.

Maybe I'm just weird but I don't mind the grind? It's a good time waster and a great thing to use to multitask. Plus I usually only Masuda method for things people want so whatever doesn't end up shiny I give away or toss onto Wondertrade.

Friendly Gekko

I don't have time to grind. I have college and work and a social life, so I don't really find it that important to "use my tools" as you put it. If I run into a shiny by chance, awesome, if I get a cloned one, just as good to me, I still get to enjoy it in game.
I do enjoy breeding competitive Pokémon, but I really don't have the patience or the time to hatch potentially thousands of eggs for an alternative color scheme.

If I find a shiny Pokémon in the wild, cool, but I never cared enough to actually "hunt" for them, and of the few competitive shiny Pokémon that I have hatched, they usually end up having less-than-ideal IVs or the wrong ability and I end up using one of the numerous perfect non-shiny hatches instead. I usually don't care for shiny Pokémon all that much, but if there's the odd occasion where I do really like the shiny variant of a Pokémon and I want to use that on a team I'm building, I'd rather just breed for the stats I want and then have a friend shinify it for me.

Regardless, I can understand the frustration of never catching a shiny Pokémon after years of playing the games and some people just don't realize how low the odds actually are when they try to "hunt" for them.
At the end of the day, it's a game. If I have a day I can afford to sit down and blow on a game, I will. Other-wise, I treat it as I do, a side hobby for free time. I just enjoy the game.

If someone's kind enough to trade me shinies, awesome. If someone's kind enough to edit, awesome.

None of them have illegal stats, or illegal abilities. Just the colouring is different. I don't see the issue. If you prefer doing it your way, cool, others have their way.

I have university, family life, social life, looking for a job, my boyfriend, my boyfriend's family life, a dissertation to work on. Just like most people. If you have free time, great, if you can balance hours or months into it, great. Not everyone can. Seems like your starting a flame war and shaming people over a video game.

Like any human being, we whine. Asking people to not do something that is natural seems pointless. Your post is whining, whether intentional or not, it is whining. My own post has a bit of whining, but not intentional.

Biggest Anubutt

While it doesn't inherently annoy me when people complain about not finding a shiny and stuff, I just get annoyed with the rampant shortcuts players take. No I don't want your clones (sadly I believe I did get a clone without knowing; maybe not a valuable item for it, but if it's a clone it's value should be free and not given a price). No I don't want to battle you when you just gave yourself perfect everything. No I don't care about your painted shinies. That's the only similarity I think I can relate to in your op.

anyway, congrats on actually earning your reward

Timid Generator

I got my shiny Sceptile but that was like, 300 eggs or so OTL

s**t's hard to work for. I can't blame people for using things like PokeSav.

Although whole team of shinies, that's uh, a bit much.

solomon514's Wife

Dedicated Regular

I understand the frustration of trying to find shinies (i say this as i sit my a** on the outside of mt pyre and spam the ******** outta sweet scent) but the complaining that people do if they don't find a shiny is rather annoying. I mean, i have gotten EXTREMELY lucky on both my X and AS in regards to finding shinies.

X: Gible, Mareep (2), Wingull, Nosepass, Gulpin, Trevenant, Goldeen, Alomomola, Clauncher, Clawitzer, Relicanth, Remoraid (4), Clampearl, Corsola (2)

AS: Corphish, Crawdaunt, Tentacruel, Meditite, Zigzagoon, Poochyena, Feebas (3), Sharpedo (2), Carvahna (i forget how its spelled), Zekrom

I was trying to Masuda Method for a shiny Flabebe on X, and am currently taking a break from it after hatching 16 boxes of the little white flowered buggers. Dude shiny hunting is TEDIOUS... But i find that its worth it in the end.

Liberal Fatcat

Good for you for being in the oh so exclusive club of trainers that also hatch eggs endlessly for shinies! Want a cookie?

If that's your thing, that's your thing. But not everyone has the patience nor time to hatch hundreds of eggs for a shiny. I dont, since I breed for competitive pokemon mostly. My shinies either come from trades off here, wondertrade, and passerby. I aint complaining.
Meh. The only time i actually bred a shiny myself was my bulbasaur, and he had 4IVs, missing special attack.
After all that effort, i couldnt even use him on competetive play. That was simply a waste of time.

Hatching/capturing a shiny with competetive stats is just too hard. I'd rather ask for a hacked one than letting it rot in PC.
User Image

Seriously, I just don't have the patience for stuff like that, just mild, waning interest. I use my PS for myself and myself only.

For my enjoyment.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces