Welcome to Gaia! ::

I'm hurting a lot on the inside right now, thinking about the old days... I was just nine years old. I walked into the game store with my grandma and bought my very first Pokemon game. I remember the dark blue cartridge and blastoise was the box. I liked charizard better, but I had already done my research and knew that this game contained Meowth instead of Menkey, and I hated monkeys with an undying passion. So I rtore upon the box and slid the game out, disregarded the manual, and slipped it into my new Gameboy. There was no color.

It was the greatest moment of my life.

The adventure of a lifetime...
I watched the starting sequence over and over again, and Jigglypuff just kept coming back to fight that Gengar. Then I'd watch the startup screen for half an hour, waiting with bated breath to see what Pokemon would stand beside Blue next. There were rumors at school that, if you waited long enough, you'd see Mewtwo.

When I started playing, I was immersed in a whole new world. That world I always wanted to be in where I could catch my own Pokemon and raise them. I was too young to be a real Pokemon trainer in the fantasy games kids played at school, but I had this, and even the big kids were playing it. Unfortunately I can't remember which starter I picked because I had spent days agonizing over it until, finally, I got sick of exploring Pallet Town and had to choose.

The rest, well? It's a long story, but it was the greatest adventure a kid could have. I took my Gameboy everywhere, I played it everwhere, and everewhere I went, other kids had the same game.

My Vaporeon named F****
I had two friends at school who were sisters and we used to pretend for hours and hours every day that we were the Eevee evolutions (I'm a girl jsyk) because, just by gift of the gods, we all happened to like different ones. Devin, a tomboy with short blonde hair who was active in sports, liked Jolteon. Sera, a real girly girl, liked Flareon. And me? I loved Vaporeon. I wanted a Vaporeon. I can't remember why I couldn't get one on my game (maybe I released Eevee or something) but fact of the matter was that I needed one. And no one in school was willing to part with their Eevee. Eevee was among the most desirable Pokemon in all the game, equal in value to Mewtwo. People would sooner trade Moltress than Eevee.

So I did eventually get one in a trade... named the "F" word with a "y" at the end (all five letters of the word). It was the most agonizing thing in my life, to have a Vaporeon named F****. I wanted it, I needed it, and I had to use it in battles, but it was so wrong. I had to shield my eyes from its name, and everyone who battled me knew... It was very controversal. Some would laugh and think it was funny or cool, while others would wrinkle their noses in disgust and not want to play with me. For I had a Vaporeon with a bad name.

It was a curse.

Mew!
I remember when the first movie trailer came out and we saw a glimpse of Mew for the first time. We all thought it evolved into Mewtwo, although there was one crazy kid who said otherwise. Months followed, many excruciating months, during which every kid in the school wanted a Mew, but no one could get it until one day... when one of the kids came to school with a Mew. There were crowds and lines of kids wanting it. It was on the bus that I got mine. We had our link cables drawn across the seats and there were anxious yells and shouts as we cloned it, all at the edge of our seats at the risk of messing up and losing Mew.

That Mew was at level 100 and knew only HM moves, but it was still among the most powerful Pokemon you could get, so it was on everyone's team.

Then everything changed. I heard about this one kid who... could get unlimited Mews at any level. He could do anything. I heard about him from a few of the older kids, but they told me to keep hushed about it and not let anyone know, if I ever got one from this other kid, where it came from.

On a dark, dreary night as I remember it, my parents drove me to this kid's house. I'm not sure how it happened, but my parents and his parents were visiting, so I lucked out. When I got there, he had a million video games, and Pokemon was nothing to him. There were cords everywhere. I asked him about Mew and he seemed uninterested, but shrugged and said "alright, sure." So I gave him my game and he did something. I was skeptical. I refused to get my hopes up. In fact, I was willing to bet my only Mew that he couldn't do what the big kids said he could.

Then... It was miraculous. There were Mews. Everywhere. On my game. Level 5 and level 20 with no HMs. I didn't know if I was dreaming.

Pokemon Stadium

The very first time Pokemon went 3D, it was sensational. Me and my two friends would battle and play mini games for hours every time we got together. We were fascinated by all the models. I remember spending hours looking through the three-dimensional Pokedex and taking snapshots. Then, when I discovered that different nickmames could change the tints of my Pokemon? I worked hard and long on devising cute names with the desired effects.

Most of all, Pokemon Stadium came with an emulator that had double speed. I don't know if this was the peak of my Pokemon experience or whether it was a curse, because suddenly the gameboy was an inferior medium by which to play the game. Either I played it on Stadium, or it wasn't worth playing. Same went for the PC in Stadium, which was phenominal. I've played Battle Revolution since and was sorely unimpressed by the connectivity features in comparison to Stadium. In Stadium, you could transfer your Pokemon to and from the console and use the Stadium PC to view, list, sort, and edit (with items) all your Pokemon. It was much faster and more organized than using the in-game PC. It went hand-in-hand with the unlimited Rare Candies glitch because leveling with Rare Candies with Stadium instead of in-game was like leveling with Rare Candies in B/W compared with the former gens. It was just so much faster. Also, you could delete HM moves, which in first gen couldn't be done in-game at all.

Stadium 2 came out later and rocked my socks.

RECENT - Original Green, Blue, Red, and Yellow

This was recent, but still... I bought the four Japanese Gameboy games and found them very interesting. The sprites in Green and Red are the old ones never released in the North American originals. Blue has the revised sprites they DID released. And yellow? Japanese yellow? Wasn't in color. Like Blue looks blue on a gameboy color and Red looks red respectively (and Green looks green respectively), Yellow looks yellow. Also, they can't interact with Pokemon Stadium. Too bad, otherwise I'd probably play my way through Green, because that one is my favorite (Venusaur is one of my favorites).

RECENT - Bootlegs

I've taken a liking to bootlegs. Yeah, they're fake, but frankly I don't get why people hate them so much. I find them fascinating. c: I bought my first bootleg on Ebay recently: Pokemon Shiny Gold. Unfortunately I can't get past one of the gyms due to a bug in the game that apparently was fixed in a later patch. >> But hey, it was fun.

RECENT - Hacks

This was last year or so, but I got really into hacking. It's such a joy to manipulate the game and find new codes. I discovered the only method of getting a shiny Spiky-eared Pichu with only AR and posted it up on Youtube. A lot of people were happy with it, and that made me happy. c:

---

Those are just a few of my stories... I have more, but... maybe it's time I stopped reminiscing. Sometimes I try to go back to playing Blue, but when I turn on the game, I just get stuck there, staring at my character. I open my team and flip through my Pokedex, but it's not the same. It will never be the same.

Who else remembers the old games?

Girl

tl;dr

But I not only remember my original Red version, but I actually have it and still play it sometimes. It's somewhat miraculous that it still works after how many times I corrupted the data after capturing Missingno. Woopsies >u>

Rainbow Explorer

I don't know what games you are talking about.
Anyone?

Generous Gawker

PKMN RK9
Anyone?
User ImageObviously Yu-Gi-Oh.User Image

Dangerous Genius

The hell's a Menkey?
User ImagexxxxxUser ImagexxxxxUser Image

ɪ sᴜʀᴠɪᴠᴇᴅ ᴀɢᴀɪɴsᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡɪʟʟ ᴏғ ᴍʏ ᴛᴡɪsᴛᴇᴅ ғᴏʟᴋ
xxxxxxʙᴜᴛ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴀғɴᴇss ᴏғ ᴍʏ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴛʜᴇ sɪʟᴇɴᴄᴇ ʙʀᴏᴋᴇxxxxxx

The only part of Red and Blue that I remember fondly is the Lavender Town bit with Team Rocket and the Marowak. I loved how eerie and dark the Pokemon Tower was, with all the graves, ghosts, and the murdered Marowak.

They, I honestly couldn't care less about.

Rainbow Explorer

colin mocherie
PKMN RK9
Anyone?
User ImageObviously Yu-Gi-Oh.User Image

oh I thought it was digimon!
Mimizawarina Sekai
The hell's a Menkey?

Ah, spelling. I never did comit to learn the spelling of every Pokemon's name. Not even first gen.

Dangerous Genius

eefray
Ah, spelling. I never did comit to learn the spelling of every Pokemon's name. Not even first gen.

I still don't know what you're talking about?

I've never heard of a Pokémon that even rhymes with "Menkey".
Mimizawarina Sekai
eefray

I still don't know what you're talking about?

I've never heard of a Pokémon that even rhymes with "Menkey".

Mankey. Seriously, dude. Doesn't take a rocket scientist.

Dangerous Genius

eefray

I've never heard of Mankey. Is it one of those shitty older Pokémon?
Mimizawarina Sekai
eefray

I've never heard of Mankey. Is it one of those shitty older Pokémon?

lol Yeah. My friend, who used to pretend she was Flareon, had like some kind of vendetta against Primape. When we played that pog game, whenever it would pop up, she'd throw the whole game board across the room, scatter the pogs, and ruin our game. We finally had to get rid of the Primape pog or it would happen every time. She hated that Pokemon.

Dangerous Genius

eefray
lol Yeah. My friend, who used to pretend she was Flareon, had like some kind of vendetta against Primape. When we played that pog game, whenever it would pop up, she'd throw the whole game board across the room, scatter the pogs, and ruin our game. We finally had to get rid of the Primape pog or it would happen every time. She hated that Pokemon.

What's a Pog game?

What is a Primape?

And what on Earth is a Flareon?

Rainbow Explorer

Hey OP,
He is not going to stop!~
Mimizawarina Sekai

Dude stop trolling. It hurts to see this. There's no need to derail the person's topic JUST because she is choosing to reminisce about the past. And so what is she had some spelling errors. Not all of us can be perfect.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff