Welcome to Gaia! ::

Please stay away from Probopass. It's an awful steel type that's hardly used for a reason. It has a quadruple weakness to both ground and fighting moves and it's slow. You'd be investing almost half of your max EVs into its horrible HP stat, hoping that the defenses will be good enough after splitting your remaining 258 EVs.

Then you'll go into battle where everyone and their mother will destroy it since it's not a good attacker and a terrible wall with a limited move pool and no means of recovery.

User Image

Salty Pirate

9,975 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Divine Donator 100
User Image
Why hasn't Scizor been mentioned?! emotion_0A0

User Image
Zekil Blakhardt
User Image
Why hasn't Scizor been mentioned?! emotion_0A0

User Image

Thats what I was thinking.
Do you think Probopass is a bad choice ?

Alien Worshipper

An Adamant Technician Bullet Punch Scizor with Life Orb/Choice Band is love. heart

But yes, get a Metagross and also a Bisharp. Make sure you get Psycho Cut for the Bisharp tho. And don't worry about speed for Scizor. Put the EVs into Attack and the defences and/or HP.

In a relationship with Magica

Shirtless Fatcat

Pikachew
Please stay away from Probopass. Its an awful steel type thats hardly used for a reason. It has a quadruple weakness to both ground and fighting moves and its slow. Youd be investing almost half of your max EVs into its horrible HP stat, hoping that the defenses will be good enough after splitting your remaining 258 EVs.

Then youll go into battle where everyone and their mother will destroy it since its not a good attacker and a terrible wall with a limited move pool and no means of recovery.
Pair it with Tyranitar or Hippowdon. The rock type special defense boost from sandstorm goes a long way. I know OP was looking to make a steel monotype, so that not relevant to them, but just for examples sake: 252 hp / 252 spdef +nature. You end up with 324hp and 657spdef 438 x1.5).

I say from experience, you would be AMAZED at the kinds of special hits it can take.
Life orb Gengar cant ohko it with focus blast. Thats a LO boosted 120 power move coming from a Pokemon with 130 base special attack doing 4x damage. He has those said weaknesses, but also a good resistance set including dragon, so hes a great switch in to specs dragons like Latios, which is made better by thunder wave, and most importantly, volt switch, which lets it switch in and shurg off a choiced special hit, and then gain advantage or momentum when the opponent brings in something to kill Probo, only to either have it paralyzed or have you volt switch as it comes out, damage it a little, and bring out a counter to their switch in.

Or plan B, just lead with it, pick thunder wave, take a hit, live with sturdy or just live), and then either volt switch out or setup stealth rock depending on the situation since youll go first.

Or plan C, give it protect because it has a stealth rock resistance, and one turn of leftovers will get it back to full health and sturdy) after switching in. That way you can take any hit, and thunder wave something that set up and was threatening your team.

^ You can run all of these things in one set.
He may not be fantastic but with a support set like that he will almost always be able to do SOMETHING beneficial in a match no matter what your facing, whether he just sets up stealth rock, checks dragons, saves your a** in a bad situation, or whatever. Thats not something a whole lot of Pokemon can claim.

~ inb4 Blissey is better in every way ~
Thank you captain obvious. Of course it is. Thats not the point though. The point is hes not as useless as you seem to think.

Also being an underdog like that is an advantage in itself. Everyone knows what Blissey can and cant take. Lots of people will try to hit Probopass with whatever super effective attack they have only to have it not die, and have themselves get paralyzed. Seems silly but its a valid thing to consider.
Kitsune Muggy
Go with variety. There are multiple Steel types that are dual types. Empoleon, Bisharp, Skarmory, Magnezone, and Aggron are good examples. Also, Steelix is a MUST. I have one that is EV trained in Defense and Attack and holy s**t can it take a hit. What would be one hit KOs with my Aggron or Empoleon takes ten hits with my Steelix.

I second this reply.

My whole team is steel type, because their my favorite. I'd say if you're using Unova Pokemon, have an Excadrill... Their defense is poor, but their attack is through the roof.

utforska's Husband

Versatile Lover

4,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
I'm a bug-type trainer! 3nodding
-and how about Durant? ;3
Artificial Shadows

All of the situations you've given are completely circumstantial and all of the plans you've provided involve Probopass being a status inflicter that's just trying to survive one hit before switching out.

Most ground and fighting types are physical hitters and switching in on dragons would only be good for one turn. You'll have nothing good to fight them with while their movepools give them other chances to do damage. Your only option would be to paralyze (if they don't have a lum berry) and volt switch out on the dragon you switched in on. Then pray that paralysis keeps it from moving that turn. Too risky.

All you've proven is that it can paralyze...and? So can Registeel, Magnezone, Ferrothorn, etc. You have no plan for it after thunderwave/stealth rock other than running away. Having less than average attack strength wouldn't make it the hero of any battle. Also Volt switch has no priority, so putting it on a slow pokemon wouldn't make sense. You'd have to hope your opponent doesn't have a berry after thunderwave otherwise you'd have to switch out on your failed plan or stay in and hope you don't faint. By then, your opponent would already know you're a special tank and plan accordingly.

What if your opponent changes the weather? Half of its set is electric. What if your opponent switches in a ground type? Almost any pokemon can be good with support. Competitively, it is outclassed by many others and useless on the OP's team unless she's going to waste a turn setting up sandstorm.

Liberal Voter

User Image

Well, I would start out by getting a Metagross. This should be the center of your team. You can use other Steel-type Pokemon as lures. Metagross is a bulky attacker, but you can use him as your sweeper.

You need Trick Room. Bronzong served us well in this during Fourth Gen, and although we have some better Ghost-type options now, we are going Steel!

Now, what else do you want? Think for instance, Heatran is fun, burn-burn-burn! But if you are going to use it, you'll want to spend a precious Shuca Berry or Balloon on it. So determine which items you are going to be able to expend per Pokemon slot on your team. Magnazone is also fun for a special attack boost on your team. Same problem though. Skarmory is a nice wall, but do you need another wall on a Steel-type team? One of the problems I run into with Steel-type novelty teams is they will sit around being bulky but don't hit hard enough, so be sure your team is somewhat balanced, and please don't rely on blowing up to deal damage. Not that you would, I simply see it a lot... it's not as good as it sounds. ... Actually, I'd imagine it getting quite loud... . . . cat_whee

Sui-rion

I just love Durant hes a dear!
Yeahpossibly going to add him along with scizor! 8D

utforska's Husband

Versatile Lover

4,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
XArtificial RealityX
Sui-rion

I just love Durant hes a dear!
Yeahpossibly going to add him along with scizor! 8D

Durant is such an unprecedented beast. <3

Shirtless Fatcat

Pikachew
All of the situations youve given are completely circumstantial and all of the plans youve provided involve Probopass being a status inflicter thats just trying to survive one hit before switching out.

Most ground and fighting types are physical hitters and switching in on dragons would only be good for one turn. Youll have nothing good to fight them with while their movepools give them other chances to do damage. Your only option would be to paralyze if they dont have a lum berry) and volt switch out on the dragon you switched in on. Then pray that paralysis keeps it from moving that turn. Too risky.

All youve proven is that it can paralyze...and? So can Registeel, Magnezone, Ferrothorn, etc. You have no plan for it after thunderwave/stealth rock other than running away. Having less than average attack strength wouldnt make it the hero of any battle. Also Volt switch has no priority, so putting it on a slow pokemon wouldnt make sense. Youd have to hope your opponent doesnt have a berry after thunderwave otherwise youd have to switch out on your failed plan or stay in and hope you dont faint. By then, your opponent would already know youre a special tank and plan accordingly.

What if your opponent changes the weather? Half of its set is electric. What if your opponent switches in a ground type? Almost any pokemon can be good with support. Competitively, it is outclassed by many others and useless on the OPs team unless shes going to waste a turn setting up sandstorm.
You dont need stellar attack or any attack at all) to be a good supporter. And you said volt switch is pointless when slow. No, its the exact opposite. You get your counter in without it having to take a hit. Thats the whole point. Havent you ever fought a CB scizor? Paralysis brings a speed drop. If you paralyze something like Infernape on the switch, its as good as dead unless the opponent is carrying something with heal bell or aromatherapy.

Salty Pirate

9,975 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Divine Donator 100
XArtificial RealityX

User Image

User Image

Personally, I have never fought against or used a Probopass, so I don't know what to tell you.

But by reading Artificial Shadow's posts, he brings up good points in having one as a supporter.
User Image

User Image

Shirtless Fatcat

Zekil Blakhardt
Personally, I have never fought against or used a Probopass, so I don't know what to tell you. But by reading Artificial Shadow's posts, he brings up good points in having one as a supporter.

I think hes cute. Don't even ask XD;
But I have a strange love for Probopass for some reason.
I used him for fun, and realized hes not nearly as bad as people make him out to be if you play him to his strengths.

I named mine Nosey redface

Salty Pirate

9,975 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Divine Donator 100
Artificial Shadows

User Image

User Image

I have looked at its stats...I'm tempted to use one. xD
Nosey, eh? Quite a fitting name. 3nodding

User Image