Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Informer

Bobsplosion
Faded Funeral
iamjustice
Dread Archon
The Zerg Swarm came, as was foretold.

Not surprising, given there are only 5 vowels (6 if you count y).

And the Protoss, firstborn of the gods, rose to fight them.

Nintendo will create a new vowel haha

This makes no sense whatsoever. A new vowel cannot be created, unless the entire alphabet where to be altered.

It makes sense if you read it as sarcasm.

XD Like the way you think.

Friendly Informer

iamjustice
Faded Funeral
iamjustice
Faded Funeral
iamjustice
Dread Archon

This makes no sense whatsoever. A new vowel cannot be created, unless the entire alphabet where to be altered.

Really? Here I was under the impression that Romani vowels were created by people and had things taken away and added that weren't there before. Odd..

I was referring to the English vowels. If to say 39 states ratifies the change of vowels, then yes, it should be able to change.

English language was changed by the Romans... its why we don't have any true gender neutral pronouns

Modern day

Justice Prophet

17,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Junior 100
Faded Funeral
Bobsplosion
Faded Funeral
iamjustice
Dread Archon

that's why Bob and I get along.. he's able to take a joke..

Justice Prophet

17,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Junior 100
Bobsplosion
Faded Funeral
iamjustice
Dread Archon

Bobsplosion For The Win!

Rich Lover

11,050 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
iamjustice
Bobsplosion
Faded Funeral
iamjustice
Dread Archon

Bobsplosion For The Win!

/cheer

Friendly Informer

iamjustice
Faded Funeral
Bobsplosion
Faded Funeral
iamjustice
Dread Archon

that's why Bob and I get along.. he's able to take a joke..

I'm naturally serious. Sorry.

Justice Prophet

17,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Junior 100
Bobsplosion
iamjustice
Bobsplosion
Faded Funeral
iamjustice
Dread Archon

Bobsplosion For The Win!

/cheer

haha if it wasn't for you man, no one here would get my humor haha
iamjustice
Sandokiri
Midnight Sledgehammer
All of the Region names have at least one O in them?

Kanto
Johto
Hoenn
Sinnoh
Unova

I wonder if Nintendo did this on purpose, and if they'll stay true to it with the next region?

Not quite. Unlike the rest of the regions, Unova is not Unova everywhere:
Japan - Isshu
Germany - Einall
France - Unys

THIS, however, Gamefreak did on purpose. Whether they do this with Gen 6's France-expy is unknown at this time. smile

Yay smart girl in the Pokeforum! Love it! But yeah, the OP didn't think about that, I often forget it's really Isshu. I wonder why the changed, perhaps Unova, U-ni-ted... IDK haha

Closer than you might think. Isshu is "one seed" or "one type" (usually in the sense of a species.) Unova combines Latin un- (one) with nova (new.) Einall combines ein (one) with all- (every, all.) And Unys is an altered spelling of unis (united - a form used with plural nouns, as in États-unis, United States.)

Justice Prophet

17,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Junior 100
Sandokiri
iamjustice
Sandokiri
Midnight Sledgehammer
All of the Region names have at least one O in them?

Kanto
Johto
Hoenn
Sinnoh
Unova

I wonder if Nintendo did this on purpose, and if they'll stay true to it with the next region?

Not quite. Unlike the rest of the regions, Unova is not Unova everywhere:
Japan - Isshu
Germany - Einall
France - Unys

THIS, however, Gamefreak did on purpose. Whether they do this with Gen 6's France-expy is unknown at this time. smile

Yay smart girl in the Pokeforum! Love it! But yeah, the OP didn't think about that, I often forget it's really Isshu. I wonder why the changed, perhaps Unova, U-ni-ted... IDK haha

Closer than you might think. Isshu is "one seed" or "one type" (usually in the sense of a species.) Unova combines Latin un- (one) with nova (new.) Einall combines ein (one) with all- (every, all.) And Unys is an altered spelling of unis (united - a form used with plural nouns, as in États-unis, United States.)

Haha wow! So may I ask, why have I not seen you around in the Poke'forum before? Are you an avid player? Competitive player?

FXMLDR's Wife

Hopeless Sweetheart

i just learned today that every word has a vowel!!!!

Kawaii Pyromaniac

Yerosh
i just learned today that every word has a vowel!!!!
Rhythm.
iamjustice
Haha wow! So may I ask, why have I not seen you around in the Poke'forum before? Are you an avid player? Competitive player?

I've been a regular fan of Pokemon since shortly after first NA release. Definitely not a competitive player, which can be boiled down to two letters: EV.

As for forum presence... I tend to lurk, at least when I'm not doing admin stuff. 3nodding

Justice Prophet

17,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Junior 100
Sandokiri
iamjustice

I've been a regular fan of Pokemon since shortly after first NA release. Definitely not a competitive player, which can be boiled down to two letters: EV.

As for forum presence... I tend to lurk, at least when I'm not doing admin stuff. 3nodding

EV training doesn't have to be bad. Especially with the items and Pokerus. Do you have those?

Or is there confusion with how to do so?

It was scary and confusing for me at first, but it really doesn't take that long once you get how to do it.
iamjustice
EV training doesn't have to be bad. Especially with the items and Pokerus. Do you have those?

It was scary and confusing for me at first, but it really doesn't take that long once you get how to do it.

I know how to do it - it's more the philosophical issues I have with the system itself, which remain true even now. Apologies in advance, for incoming rambling.

-It's inefficient for a purely arbitrary reason. At level 100, your EV spread is divided by 4 to get its effect on your stats. 510, the cap, does not divide evenly by 4.

-It puts even more emphasis on base stats. Since, at most, you can only get +127 to your overall stats (compared to +378 in second gen) from training, the proportion of your stats that come from baseline has increased greatly.

When I first heard of the system, I thought the EVs wouldn't be divided at all (so, for example, a Careful Sandslash with 31 IV and 254 EV = 440 Special Defence,) a prospect that actually had me excited for the system. Lots of variety, lots of customisation, and what would seem to be an interesting choice between enhancing your strengths and covering your weaknesses. Do you gamble on the normally faster opponent not splashing speed and try to get enough to seize the initiative? Do you go nuts on SDef with your ground types, which only have* Special weaks? Do you go hard on (special) attack and speed and become a glass cannon?
*Had. I'm quite aware of stat-control and type being separated, considering how it took Shadowball away from Flareon and gave it to Vaporeon and Espeon. razz

-Finally, it punishes you for playing the game. The same Pokemon that you started with, and the ones you meet on your journey... the same that helped you defeat anyone who harassed you, plus evil gangs, plus Gym Leaders, plus the Elite Four... who helped you meet, withstand, and hopefully catch the physical gods of the region...
...are not suitable as members of your "real" team, because fighting random anything (and Arceus forbid, exploiting type matchup) ensures an "improper" EV spread and greatly diminished viability in PvP. (To say nothing of tiers, though I have a list of favourites spread out all across those. My absolute favourite, take a wild guess which one, isn't even USABLE in tiered/claused play, unless it has its Dream World ability.)

Call me a lore-geek or RP nerd (or unkinder variants thereof) as you will; but it seems rather immersion-breaking to me. 3nodding

Justice Prophet

17,025 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Junior 100
Sandokiri
iamjustice

I know how to do it - it's more the philosophical issues I have with the system itself, which remain true even now. Apologies in advance, for incoming rambling.

-It's inefficient for a purely arbitrary reason. At level 100, your EV spread is divided by 4 to get its effect on your stats. 510, the cap, does not divide evenly by 4.

-It puts even more emphasis on base stats. Since, at most, you can only get +127 to your overall stats (compared to +378 in second gen) from training, the proportion of your stats that come from baseline has increased greatly.

When I first heard of the system, I thought the EVs wouldn't be divided at all (so, for example, a Careful Sandslash with 31 IV and 254 EV = 440 Special Defence,) a prospect that actually had me excited for the system. Lots of variety, lots of customisation, and what would seem to be an interesting choice between enhancing your strengths and covering your weaknesses. Do you gamble on the normally faster opponent not splashing speed and try to get enough to seize the initiative? Do you go nuts on SDef with your ground types, which only have* Special weaks? Do you go hard on (special) attack and speed and become a glass cannon?
*Had. I'm quite aware of stat-control and type being separated, considering how it took Shadowball away from Flareon and gave it to Vaporeon and Espeon. razz

-Finally, it punishes you for playing the game. The same Pokemon that you started with, and the ones you meet on your journey... the same that helped you defeat anyone who harassed you, plus evil gangs, plus Gym Leaders, plus the Elite Four... who helped you meet, withstand, and hopefully catch the physical gods of the region...
...are not suitable as members of your "real" team, because fighting random anything (and Arceus forbid, exploiting type matchup) ensures an "improper" EV spread and greatly diminished viability in PvP. (To say nothing of tiers, though I have a list of favourites spread out all across those. My absolute favourite, take a wild guess which one, isn't even USABLE in tiered/claused play, unless it has its Dream World ability.)

Call me a lore-geek or RP nerd (or unkinder variants thereof) as you will; but it seems rather immersion-breaking to me. 3nodding

No thats a very well thought out argument against it. I can clearly see your point. I don't disagree if there was more it would allow more customization, though somethings like Lucario can really be trained in several ways. I guess I can see your point though.

What I do is this though: I EV train my Pokemon and then transfer them to my new game. My Sandile at level 14 had full EV spreads done and then I put him on White2 so we could just play. Though I will say one thing, with White2/Black2 it has become much easier to do and remove them as well with the advancements from the mall thingy as well as the added rows for berries in the dreamworld. I don't mind it as much anymore.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff