Welcome to Gaia! ::

Whoreific Tales's Pardner

Celebrating Goat

So I decided to rekindle my love affair with Pokemon Blue. It had been long long LONG long time.

Well seems all I have is a Charizard that knows four fire-type moves including ember. I don't know what I was thinking there, so time to go back and start anew!

Squirtle this time.

Oh GOD these sprites are horrendous.

I'm walking so slow, where are my running shoes?

None of these Pokemon have genders excluding Nidoran with their respective gender sign awkwardly crunched up against the name.

Where's my poison point ability??

and then it hit me...

I hate most of these pokemon.

I made a list of all the pokemon I like from Generation 1.

25. Out of 150, I only like 25.

This was including members of the same family (ie; Oddish and Vileplume would count as 2 pokemon)

I did similar lists with other generations, and in each Generation I liked a significant amount more than generation one.

I really just disliked a good chunk of them, and the game itself didn't have the same rush or sense of enjoyment as I felt it as a kid.
hell, I don't even like Mew

I loved Generation III, though, it was a blast, and probably my favourite. However many comments on youtube yield declarations about how everything after Gen II was s**t, and how pokemon is getting worse and dying. These past generations have been the most fun I had in any Pokemon game. I went back and played Platinum 3 times in a row, I loved it. Yet it seems to get ragged on as the worst generation yet.

What's so wrong about more pokemon to begin with? I love how large the variety is. Makes building a team fun, and hearing about everyone's favourites really exciting!

Remember first grade? When everyone's favourite was Charizard and Mewtwo?

Plus the addition of abilities makes the strate- ah I'm cutting off here, you can piece that much together on your own:

TL;DR:

Are the first couple of games really as great as you remember?

and

Will writing all of this kill the 40 minutes i have left until I can go to Dream World?

Gaian

#30 Nidorina
The Poison Pin Pokémon
User Image
Nostalgia does seem to create a wave of tardicism in which lot of people sound like centenarians rattling on about how much better the 1920's were as compared to this "modern era" we live in here in the year 2011.

I seriously do not think that I could even go back to the original Precious Metal games without raging over how many features they don't have in the first few minutes of gameplay.

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Whoreific Tales's Pardner

Celebrating Goat

Cerulean Beyonder

#30 Nidorina
The Poison Pin Pokémon
User Image
Nostalgia does seem to create a wave of tardicism in which lot of people sound like centenarians rattling on about how much better the 1920's were as compared to this "modern era" we live in here in the year 2011.

I seriously do not think that I could even go back to the original Precious Metal games without raging over how many features they don't have in the first few minutes of gameplay.

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

Agreed, but moving from the archetypal centenarian complex, it'd be like complaining about how HDTV's are so s**t compared to your old dusty 2-knob TV that only plays in sepia. Though you can see the same shows with a larger benefit on a modern television, AND skip through commercials.

And while I'm noting the Nidorina, may I also ask WHY they chose to keep the male and female symbols a part of the Nidoran's names even when they're displayed near the health bar?

8,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Clambake 200
User Image
I heart Zorua and Rilou

I'm replaying Saphire, *dead battery ;-;*. But yeah, I forgot how simple it was before, it was the first time that the running shoes came in *I think*. I'm just passing through the game for fun, is all. But now that I see it , I was going like '' what the heck did I find this game so much fun?" .
Buuuuutttt I did manage to get a shiny poochyena and a shiny shroomish within the first few hours.
That's why Fire Red and Leaf Green was created; To create Running Shoes, incorporate 3rd gen Pokemon, and get nostalgia people to stop their little hissy fit over the games.

It worked... sort of.

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
My view on the older games, especially the ones from the first generation, do have an effect when I play games like Blue or Yellow. It doesn't help that I tend to fantasize about playing the games, or go back to to memories from my childhood. I usually end up feeling disappointed even if I am still enjoying the game.

When looking back you don't look at the negatives, not counting the negatives that a lot of people find interesting such as glitches and cheating.

The newer games have spoiled me. I'm used to the games being a lot faster. I feel like leveling takes a lot longer. You also don't have running shoes, so you are stuck walking until you get the bicycle.

I don't mind the sprites, although I do agree that they aren't the most attractive. I didn't really pay attention to this when I was kid.

Although it is fun to go through Red and Blue to do the Mew Glitch. =3

I'm not so sure I can say that the games are great as I remember. A lot of the greatness is built around the hype, as Pokemon seemed to be everywhere back then, and my childhood memories. But, I do find the games fun despite the negatives.
User Image

THANK YOU. This needed to be said.

If I could find my old Pokemon Yellow I doubt I would be able to get through the first few minutes and I'd probably just stop playing all together.

I'm all too used to the good graphics, running shoes, bicycles, and more importantly, the COLOR.

I would be complaining about setting the clock, the sprites, and probably every single thing in that game that wasn't silly to me when I was younger.

Do I miss the old Pokemon? Since I can get them in B/W, no. If they weren't obtainable in B/W I would, without a doubt, miss them terribly. But I'd be able to live without them.

Would I want Pokemon to end with Gen 1 & 2? ******** that. The new Pokemon are amazing.

Nostalgia idiots are the worst, they either haven't played the new ones, or haven't played the old games again.

They can't seriously sit there and play Pokemon Red without cringing at how out of date it was /unless/ they haven't played the newer games.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff