Welcome to Gaia! ::

You're severely allergic to animals, too?

YEP c: 1 100.0% [ 2 ]
Total Votes:[ 2 ]

Generous Donator

11,900 Points
  • Cash Grabber 500
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I've been raising rats for three years, and I was pretty good at it.
But then one day my life decided to suck: I picked up one of my rats, and I began breaking out in hives, everywhere--and then the asthma attack. It was pretty unfortunate, really. Raising rats had been a hobby of mine for about four years, and my body just decided a life threatening allergy would be a good thing to develop
Blanket and Zeke are over two years old now, and I can't even be near their cage. I would like to spend time with them before they top off.
When I worked at an animal clinic, my coworker used to give me an allergy medication every day, and that made it so I could snuggle my rats right up against my cheek
What do you guys use? Anything non-drowsy, or over the counter?

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
I have terrible sinus problems and violently allergic to cats, grass, dust, mold, sunshine (one of the perks to being a ginger I spose) and zyrtec worked for me until I developed sinusitis. (really horrible nosebleeds, dry sinuses....Ugh). I heard claritin works really well and zyrtec worked really well for me for 3 years. I do own a cat, a med hair maine coon/tabby, and IM NOT ALLERGIC TO HER. Shocking since every other cat makes me wheeze. Look at your local supermarket and get somthing that has 24 hour, non drowsy on it, indoor outdoor stuff. That should help. Nobody likes being allergic to their pets. sad

Salyana's Wife

Loving Lover

I suggest going to the doctor and getting a prescription for asthma. Even if it's just an emergency inhaler (ex: albuterol), that will work when you get asthma attacks. I get asthma attacks even if I take allergy medicine. What I take really depends on the allergen causing my immune system to go crazy. In general I take the generic Zyrtec OTC. This is usually non-drowsy for me, but it hasn't been in the past. Sometimes I take the Benadryl stuff, but only if I know the allergen is temporary or if I can't sleep because of allergies. This is very drowsy inducing.
I am currently on a daily inhalor (two month sample unfortunately) of Dulera. It's super duper heavy duty, which is a bit unfitting for me because my asthma is minor. However, I have been having attacks almost daily. I am assuming there is either a mold problem or I am merely allergic to my pets (I clean up after them a lot, so it's kind of annoying).
I pretty much allergic to life, so I have tried a lot of things. Hope my trial and error experience helps you out.

Salyana's Wife

Loving Lover

Punkin Avis
I have terrible sinus problems and violently allergic to cats, grass, dust, mold, sunshine (one of the perks to being a ginger I spose) and zyrtec worked for me until I developed sinusitis. (really horrible nosebleeds, dry sinuses....Ugh). I heard claritin works really well and zyrtec worked really well for me for 3 years. I do own a cat, a med hair maine coon/tabby, and IM NOT ALLERGIC TO HER. Shocking since every other cat makes me wheeze. Look at your local supermarket and get somthing that has 24 hour, non drowsy on it, indoor outdoor stuff. That should help. Nobody likes being allergic to their pets. sad
It's really weird because when I lived in my old apartment, when I got my two cats I was temporarily allergic to the male. Then after a couple months it went away. I had no other allergies while occupying that apartment. I move over to the one I have now, and bam allergies all the time. I don't ever get a reaction from either of my cats (ex: sneeze after sneeze, hives, scratching, etc), thankfully.
I am glad your cat you have now is non-allergy triggering. Having allergies to pets is like having allergies to awesome fun coolness. :<

Wheezing Lunatic

I am allergic to cats, yet forced to live with six of them. But I can't take allergy medication because I'm ALLERGIC to it. Ugh. Anything with antihistamines or decongestants makes me violently ill. sad

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
Radpops
Punkin Avis
It's really weird because when I lived in my old apartment, when I got my two cats I was temporarily allergic to the male. Then after a couple months it went away. I had no other allergies while occupying that apartment. I move over to the one I have now, and bam allergies all the time. I don't ever get a reaction from either of my cats (ex: sneeze after sneeze, hives, scratching, etc), thankfully.
I am glad your cat you have now is non-allergy triggering. Having allergies to pets is like having allergies to awesome fun coolness. :<
Right? Short hair domestics are the worse because I think of the dander issue. My little princess gets brushed 3 times a day, sleeps on my face, licks my feet and I have no outbreaks. biggrin however I go to my friends house where she has 3 male shorthairs and I wheeze. And sneeze. And I understand about moving and allergies. It has somthing to do with airflow and how many windows you have.

Salyana's Wife

Loving Lover

NarakusGirl
I am allergic to cats, yet forced to live with six of them. But I can't take allergy medication because I'm ALLERGIC to it. Ugh. Anything with antihistamines or decongestants makes me violently ill. sad
Holy crap that is horrible. Do you at least have a HEPA filter by your bed or something? :<

Wheezing Lunatic

Radpops
NarakusGirl
Holy crap that is horrible. Do you at least have a HEPA filter by your bed or something? :<

I have... some kind of filter, not sure what it is. ^^;

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces