Welcome to Gaia! ::

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I'm thinking he's either a Mink or a Lilac.
LILAC - Color is a medium dove gray, evenly mixed with brown, not too dark. Eye color is ruby or black.
MINK - To be an even mid gray-brown devoid of dinginess, silvering or patches, and having a distinct bluish sheen. Foot color to match top color. Eyes black.
http://www.afrma.org/ratselfs.htm

We're looking for opinions, he's going to be joining the breeding ranks of a new rattery, and it'd be very good to know what his color is xD

Devoted Inquisitor

My uneducated guess, based just upon the photo and the descriptions, is lilac, because it does appear that he has more than one color hair. The mink description seems to indicate only one color of hair, while it looks like this fellow has both grey and brown hairs.

I know basically nothing about rats, though. biggrin

Edit: Looked at the link, and their mink has a mix of fur colors. I still vote lilac based on the link, but now it's just because his color looks more like the lilac than the mink in the picture.
That's what I'm thinking too, thanks for the vote c: It's so hard to just compare a picture.

8,000 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
He is a gorgeous gorgeous boy. I have to say, I'm jelly. ;D Wish you were close to Arkansas, I'd have to buy one of his baby's. Lol!

I'd go with Lilac though. Doesn't look so Mink to me. But my eye isn't exactally trained. XD I keep my ratty's as pets. So color isn't something I've dwelled into.
(Though I'd love something "'Possum" colored. >:[ )
Well he's in a rattery about 8ish hrs away from you xD depending on city and such. He's in IL c: She's actually getting 3 of my rats shipped to her in probably Aug too.

8,000 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
hiysinphlay
Well he's in a rattery about 8ish hrs away from you xD depending on city and such. He's in IL c: She's actually getting 3 of my rats shipped to her in probably Aug too.

I've been honestly looking for a breeder that would have dumbos. I've been looking for a "special" color, simply because I can.
Most of our's are very common rats, three of which were Petco rats that came to us because the original owners didn't care for them.
Lady Fugitivus

I've been honestly looking for a breeder that would have dumbos. I've been looking for a "special" color, simply because I can.
Most of our's are very common rats, three of which were Petco rats that came to us because the original owners didn't care for them.

Not sure where you've looked yet, but my first stop is always the rat fan club: Breeders list Of course not all of those breeders might be responsible, you have to use your own discretion on that. Hope that helps c: I don't have a lot of options as far as breeders here, there's only one that's even relatively close to town, any other is at least a 5hr drive xD
[edit] just looked through the list, only one even in your area. Could always look for rescues or even try petfinder too c:

8,000 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
hiysinphlay
Lady Fugitivus

Not sure where you've looked yet, but my first stop is always the rat fan club: Breeders list Of course not all of those breeders might be responsible, you have to use your own discretion on that. Hope that helps c: I don't have a lot of options as far as breeders here, there's only one that's even relatively close to town, any other is at least a 5hr drive xD
[edit] just looked through the list, only one even in your area. Could always look for rescues or even try petfinder too c:

Petfinder has nada.
Not sure about ratty rescues. I've looked at one point, but I do believe most people in Arkansas simply consider rats rodents. :X
Lady Fugitivus

Petfinder has nada.
Not sure about ratty rescues. I've looked at one point, but I do believe most people in Arkansas simply consider rats rodents. :X

Yeah that's pretty much the same for my area. When I was breeding, it was impossible to find homes for them. I was breeding for snake food, for a friend, but also offering them as pets. Might consider a breeder who is willing to ship, but look at spending about 200 on it xD I've looked into it A LOT. All but two of my last litter are being shipped out of state.

8,000 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
hiysinphlay
Lady Fugitivus

Petfinder has nada.

Yeah that's pretty much the same for my area. When I was breeding, it was impossible to find homes for them. I was breeding for snake food, for a friend, but also offering them as pets. Might consider a breeder who is willing to ship, but look at spending about 200 on it xD I've looked into it A LOT. All but two of my last litter are being shipped out of state.

The local mom and pop pet shop in my town breeds their own. They are not professionals by far, but at least I know they aren't mass bred "pets" that could never be socialized. (-cough- Petco.)
We've gotten a couple from there, and they've been wonderful. One lived to be five and passed recently. sad

Either way, I may just need to stay on the look out there. She's bred up some interesting things before.

Devoted Inquisitor

Does the rattery he's coming from know what color he is?

Bloblike Hunter

As the rattery he's from - they should definitely know. My guess would have to be Lilac as well.

Greedy Fatcat

6,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
I would say Lilac.
Lady Fugitivus

The local mom and pop pet shop in my town breeds their own. They are not professionals by far, but at least I know they aren't mass bred "pets" that could never be socialized. (-cough- Petco.)
We've gotten a couple from there, and they've been wonderful. One lived to be five and passed recently. sad

Either way, I may just need to stay on the look out there. She's bred up some interesting things before.

My petco actually has never been that bad, I've gotten quite a few rats from there that are supper easy to socialize. One of the girls there loves rats, and is always playing with them though c: She's always trying to push her favorites on me too xD

I have a locally owned store too, it is the most awful place EVER. Their rodents are just horrible. They are kept on cedar bedding, feed the cheapest seed mix available. The genders are mixed without regard for pregnancies. They carry puppies at that store too :/ half the time mixes that they are selling for a ridiculous price. Mill puppies no doubt.
Latrans
Does the rattery he's coming from know what color he is?
I'm actually not sure she got him from a rattery, probably not, they would have known what color he was. I'll have to ask next time she gets online.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff