Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,950 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Hi hi! Call me Fue! It's another pet q~!

I have oh-so-extensive a list of pets, mainly insects and other invertebraes such as Valderkrus and Dobry, my Emperor and African Burrowing scorpions, respectively, as well as Rasputin, his wife Anya, and son Tanek, my ball pythons. I've also added Quentin, my bearded dragon, to the list, and they are all happy as a clam at high tide. So now, I've decided to add another one to the list- and about time I did, too. I think I'm ready for my favorite animal in the whole world-

The PACMAN FROG!!!

Now, then, as it happens... I've realized I know hardly anything about them. And the internet... links... so many... One site says this, one site says that- I don't know what to do!

I know the basics- how big they get, how they normally eat, how (in)active they are, that they can't swim, etc, etc, but I want a little more detail from actual owners of the cuteys:

1. Although I have rats for my pythons to eat, they're rather big things, not pinky rats, and my mom absolutely refuses to allow me to get a pet that eats any other mammals again, so I can't buy any more mice (dead or alive). However, I can get fish. I read that some things they eat are guppies, worms, and crickets. Now, I have gut-loaded crickets and waxworms for Quentin, so he can share the crickets at least, I think. But I don't think that the waxworms are what the frog will eat, even though they have their gluttonous namesake. Are nightcrawlers good as I hear? Do the crickets need to have a different dust on them, or is calcium okay? Basically, what should I be feeding my frog, and how often? (since I will name it Namco, that will be its reference from here on out...) With tongs? Without tongs? Do crickets bite frogs, too? To eat fish, or not to eat fish? What should I definitely NOT feed Namco?

2. I hear that frogs are extremely prone to parasites and fungal infections, and that there are certain ones- like, I think it's called chytid, or something like that- that have treatement options for prevention. How do I keep my frog happy and healthy from them? While we're on the subject, how do you go about cleaning the tank? I hear that Pacmans can get a bit snappy, so how do you handle them when you need to clean the tank, also?

3. That brings up what exactly he will have to poop on. Are they extremely messy? What substrate should I be looking for? Something they can burrow in, right? Is a shelter required? I hear they dig up plants, too, so what about that? How much tank should be water? How do you keep the humidity up? And what sort of heating and lighting should be used, and what items that the frog doesn't need do I need to keep watch over the settings, in terms of hydrometers and thermometers? Basically, explain how your tank is set up, would probably be simpler. Lighting? Heat mats? etc? (PS: JSYK, I know the tank needs to be about ten gallons and that they're cannibals.)

4.......Do they have teeth? Lol, jk, I know they don't. But if one gets a hold of a finger or something and is determined to turn it into a high-protein diet, how would one go about coaxing him to release it...? I don't wanna hurt little Namco, cause it's not his cault that our fingers happen to look like naked baby mice...>>

I am doing research myself, but I find that whenever I get a new pet, it seems that the best advice I get is from people who already own the guys. So thank you for your time!

When I get my own, I'll be sure to try and find a camera to post a picture of Little Namco!

PS: As to give you an idea of how hot my house gets when cosidering advice for humidity and heating, I live in South Texas near the coast. And the house ranges all over in the seventies, but I generally, in my own room, sleep with a fan. (Rasputin, Anya, Tanek, and Quentin, and the numeros Uno-Cinco (leeches), are kept in my brother's room, since he decided to go out on a Nimitz-class ship... xD)

6,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Informer 100
Can you please shorten this to a compacted version?
horrormaster1

I agree
horrormaster1

I agree
Have fun with your frog?

3,950 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
This topic leaps from pacman frogs to snakes and poisonous creatures. Wtf?

Wheezing Humorist

Your name looks too similar to mine at first glance. I'm afraid I'll have to kill you.
mrgreen mmm frogs.

6,950 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100

Wow, thanks for all the spam, guys.

As for a shorter version, just read the numbered stuff, it's all that's important.
Google is so much easier.
:c
Or ask the place you're buying the frog from.

6,950 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
Google is good, but if you read the post, you'd read that I personally find just asking owners of the frogs questions not only gets me clearer answers, but also allows me to meet other animal-lovers, too.

@Images and others: Please, stop spamming my thread. It's against Gaia ToS.

And please, if you don't have a PacMan frog, have a little respect and just don't comment on the thread unless what you say is relevant.

4,100 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
I know this thread is kinda old, but I thought I might help out unlike a lot of other people here.
You pick them up from behind in a scooping motion. They will bite you if given the chance. Females get bigger and are lazier than the males. I have a 2.5gal just for feeding because they will eat the substrate they hunt on. If you feed fish, quarantine them first to make sure they are healthy before feeding. The fish also provide the extra vitamins needed, so you probably don't need to dust the crickets. Too much calcium is bad for them. Goldfish are fatty and will make it gain too much weight. Keep enough water in the bottom of the tank to provide humidity and soggy ground. They aren't very bright, so beware of deep water dishes, they will drown without a struggle... emo

Worms and crickets should be the main part of the diet, but mice can be used when the frog is full size. I wouldn't because I had a mouse as a pet...They like plants to burrow into, you can have a live planted set-up if you think you can handle that, or soft fake plants that won't scratch the skin. Only buy 100% captive bred or you will have a major parasite problem that could spread to other animals. They need water to go potty in, so an extra tank for feeding/defecating is a good idea. It doesn't need to be big, just enough for them to turn around in with a bit of luke warm water in it about up to their elbow. NEVER house with other creatures, they are cannibalistic. They will sooner die then let a food item go including your finger and they have teeth.

If you already have your frog, would you mind swapping some info, like what you've found that works with tank or feeding and other stuff? Live set-up?

6,550 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items