Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Citizen 200
DeeSpark
So another forum I lurk on does this and I think it'd be really fun. Basically it's for dog owners mainly (though you could enter other pets). And we take a month to teach our pet a new trick, then at the end I could put the entries in a poll and whoever gets the most votes in a week or so, wins. At this stage there's no prizes though, other then some congratulations and the awesome feeling you get when you win haha.

I'd probably put all the videos in the second post for people to see at the end of the month.

But I need ideas on tricks. I think we should have two-three levels. Like, beginners, advanced and expert, so there would be a level for everyone to pick from. Then you guys suggest a trick for each level every month.

What do you guys think? Would it be fun or no?

YES! Just what me and Molly need to get motivated and learn some tricks. X3 We're in. lol

Devoted Inquisitor

Lunaris Sedalia

Woah. XD Those are some hard core tricks. lol

I have a hardcore dog. wink

She doesn't know all of those... yet.

6,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Citizen 200
Latrans
Lunaris Sedalia

lol I can't get my dog to learn just sit. XD

Devoted Inquisitor

Lunaris Sedalia
Latrans
Lunaris Sedalia

What methods have you tried?

6,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Citizen 200
Latrans
Lunaris Sedalia
Latrans
Lunaris Sedalia

I've tried getting her to do it before I give her a treat each time. But she doesn't follow along with that too well it seems. x.x That's all I've tried. My mom used to be a dog trainer and I wish she'd give me some tips on it. XD she's too busy though. lol

Devoted Inquisitor

Lunaris Sedalia
Latrans
Lunaris Sedalia
Latrans
Lunaris Sedalia

I've tried getting her to do it before I give her a treat each time. But she doesn't follow along with that too well it seems. x.x That's all I've tried. My mom used to be a dog trainer and I wish she'd give me some tips on it. XD she's too busy though. lol

This is a good video on starting with the clicker. (I never muffled the clicker sound, but a it's helpful for a lot of people.)

For sit, I'd take the treat, and hold it over the dog's head. The moment the butt touches the ground, click treat. You'll notice I didn't say anything--I just lure the dog into the position I want, mark the behavior with the clicker, and reward. I do that until I've faded the lure, and the dog is offering the behavior. Then I say 'sit' just before I anticipate the dog is going to do the behavior, click, treat.

Eventually, I stop rewarding sits that aren't asked for, and only reward those I did ask for.

Then I ask for sits in increasingly challenging situations and environments. :]

6,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Citizen 200
Latrans
Lunaris Sedalia
Latrans
Lunaris Sedalia
Latrans
Lunaris Sedalia

This is a good video on starting with the clicker. (I never muffled the clicker sound, but a it's helpful for a lot of people.)

For sit, I'd take the treat, and hold it over the dog's head. The moment the butt touches the ground, click treat. You'll notice I didn't say anything--I just lure the dog into the position I want, mark the behavior with the clicker, and reward. I do that until I've faded the lure, and the dog is offering the behavior. Then I say 'sit' just before I anticipate the dog is going to do the behavior, click, treat.

Eventually, I stop rewarding sits that aren't asked for, and only reward those I did ask for.

Oh wow. XD *Is watching video* Thank you. awesome. X3

6,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Citizen 200
Latrans
Lunaris Sedalia
Latrans
Lunaris Sedalia
Latrans
Lunaris Sedalia

Was that you in the video or just a video you found? lol

Devoted Inquisitor

Lunaris Sedalia
Latrans
Lunaris Sedalia
Latrans
Lunaris Sedalia

Was that you in the video or just a video you found? lol

That's a video by kikopup, who I'm subscribed to on youtube. She's not me, lol.

We have similar hair, though.

User Image

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

Is DeeSpark been busy? maybe someone else who has more free time can take the host position? it's a really good idea. I honestly love setting up threads and organizing these kinda of groups but I'm not very reliable when it comes to logging in on Gaia. I was back in the day, but not no more. lol
I hate being in charge. Or making final decisions, which is why I've been waiting for more opinions on what trick to tackle.

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

~ Aki - Fairy ~
I hate being in charge. Or making final decisions, which is why I've been waiting for more opinions on what trick to tackle.

I could help with set up and then give the text to someone who gets on often enough to update. There are plenty of people here to help make suggestions on what tricks we could do. I just feel like we need someone who has the time to GET those suggestions and update the thread every so often. like I said, I am not reliable enough, I tend to get on gaia a lot and then not get on for weeks.
do you think you could host a thread? or do you have an idea of someone who could?

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

Eri fox
Is DeeSpark been busy? maybe someone else who has more free time can take the host position? it's a really good idea. I honestly love setting up threads and organizing these kinda of groups but I'm not very reliable when it comes to logging in on Gaia. I was back in the day, but not no more. lol

Does anyone keep in contact with DeeSpark? has she been online at all? I know that no one has offered to be another host for this idea yet, but with the hope that someone might, I'd want to make sure it's okay with Dee for someone else to start this idea up, since it was her idea.

I made this layout today, I tried to cover everything but at the same time keep it really simple. It would be really easy to copy and past the layout into a new Pets thread if anyone wants to keep track of this challenge.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/test-forum/the-pet-trick-challenge/t.80501131/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces