Welcome to Gaia! ::

Krissim Klaw
DeeSpark
Alright, so anyone have any tricks they would like to teach and we could use for the challenge?
I think the first trick we should teach is walking on the ceiling. My mantises will totally pwn at that trick. emotion_dowant

Hahaha!! *Looks at tape and glue* Ok. I'll give it a try!

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

I'd be interested!

I need some kind of motivation to keep Cookie up with training. and she needs it bad, she's gotten to the point where I tell people she's has the least confidence of any dog I've ever known. because lately whenever we try to train, and I don't get so upset over anymore cause it happens so much, but she will be doing fine and then just sit there and stare at me until she's shaking all over and trying to walk away and hide. ??? I don't know what her deal is, but she's very timid of everything she does.

It also turns out that she's totally incapable of being independent. ??? like she does not function on her own. but I guess that's kind of typical of little dogs who grew up like an 'only child dog'.

so despite all that, sign me up =P

Devoted Inquisitor

Eri fox
I'd be interested!

I need some kind of motivation to keep Cookie up with training. and she needs it bad, she's gotten to the point where I tell people she's has the least confidence of any dog I've ever known. because lately whenever we try to train, and I don't get so upset over anymore cause it happens so much, but she will be doing fine and then just sit there and stare at me until she's shaking all over and trying to walk away and hide. ??? I don't know what her deal is, but she's very timid of everything she does.

It also turns out that she's totally incapable of being independent. ??? like she does not function on her own. but I guess that's kind of typical of little dogs who grew up like an 'only child dog'.

Elsie falls apart if she doesn't know what I'm asking her to do. For us, free-shaping really helped (although I have no idea how you'd do that without a clicker), and so did reviewing stuff she already knew and cleaning it up.
Latrans

Elsie falls apart if she doesn't know what I'm asking her to do. For us, free-shaping really helped (although I have no idea how you'd do that without a clicker), and so did reviewing stuff she already knew and cleaning it up.
Kirby has his fall back behaviors. For instance his current thing is to lay down and cross his front paws if he doesn't know what I want. He will then make a show of uncrossing them and crossing them over and over again while lifting them very high to make sure you see it. emotion_facepalm

Devoted Inquisitor

Krissim Klaw
Latrans

Kirby has his fall back behaviors. For instance his current thing is to lay down and cross his front paws if he doesn't know what I want. He will then make a show of uncrossing them and crossing them over and over again while lifting them very high to make sure you see it. emotion_facepalm

That's adorable! gonk

Elsie's default is whatever the last thing we worked on was.

Right now, it's "Bow!"

A few weeks ago it was Falcon! Ow. lol

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

Latrans
Eri fox
I'd be interested!

I think the closest thing I do to free shaping is like setting up stuff, like we already started things to do with a box game, but I stopped after the easy stuff like 'get in' 'get out' 'get on' 'get off' I started to try for 'jump over' even with some smaller things since a box is kind of big, but I haven't kept up since..
Also I'm defiantly going to do the latter, reviewing and cleaning up. I've just been bad lately, too 'blah' when i get home from work and not reviewing with her enough. Today she got stuck on 'speak' though, which, she's never liked that one. not sure why that one is so hard for some dogs, she knows it, but she won't let her bark out. like she seriously just bowed and her mouth opened and closed like she barked, but no sound came out. =|

Devoted Inquisitor

Eri fox
Latrans
Eri fox
I'd be interested!

I think the closest thing I do to free shaping is like setting up stuff, like we already started things to do with a box game, but I stopped after the easy stuff like 'get in' 'get out' 'get on' 'get off' I started to try for 'jump over' even with some smaller things since a box is kind of big, but I haven't kept up since..
Also I'm defiantly going to do the latter, reviewing and cleaning up. I've just been bad lately, too 'blah' when i get home from work and not reviewing with her enough. Today she got stuck on 'speak' though, which, she's never liked that one. not sure why that one is so hard for some dogs, she knows it, but she won't let her bark out. like she seriously just bowed and her mouth opened and closed like she barked, but no sound came out. =|

I've never taught a dog to bark on command. I want to with Elsie, but I've never been able to capture it.

Familiar Citizen

Oooh I think I like this idea. It would give me an excuse to get back in over these parts. ninja

Halkio's Princess

Greedy Abductee

Latrans
Eri fox
Latrans
Eri fox
I'd be interested!

I've never taught a dog to bark on command. I want to with Elsie, but I've never been able to capture it.

she doesn't bark often?
I don't even remember how we taught Cookie. it was something my bf was trying for more so than me cause his old little dog knew that trick and his dad always taught it to their dogs, but I seriously don't remember how we taught her...

I did recently teach her 'hug' gonk which she is obsessed with now and she must have one until she will play with toys with me when I get home. I just get her to stand up in my lap real close to my chest with her paws on my shoulders. I think she likes it cause it's kind of a replacement for licking me in the face which she is not allowed to do to anyone ever cause she's so obsessed about it.

I do notice that she really likes the 'cool' 'odd' tricks like closing the doors and pulling the fan off, I don't know why, maybe it's cause they are no so boring as 'lay down' 'sit' 'blah blah blah'

Devoted Inquisitor

Eri fox
Latrans
Eri fox
Latrans
Eri fox
I'd be interested!

she doesn't bark often?
I don't even remember how we taught Cookie. it was something my bf was trying for more so than me cause his old little dog knew that trick and his dad always taught it to their dogs, but I seriously don't remember how we taught her...

I did recently teach her 'hug' gonk which she is obsessed with now and she must have one until she will play with toys with me when I get home. I just get her to stand up in my lap real close to my chest with her paws on my shoulders. I think she likes it cause it's kind of a replacement for licking me in the face which she is not allowed to do to anyone ever cause she's so obsessed about it.

I do notice that she really likes the 'cool' 'odd' tricks like closing the doors and pulling the fan off, I don't know why, maybe it's cause they are no so boring as 'lay down' 'sit' 'blah blah blah'

Naw, she's not super barky. And once I click, she forgets she was barking.

Elsie prefers tricks where she gets to do stuff, but that's because she's very active.
I'm game for this. (basic) Stuff that I can do with the cat, too, especially (right now we're still on targetting and sit).

Personally, I think teaching a speak command to a dog is fairly easy, but I also did it with "say please"/asking questions like "are you hungry?" or "do you want ___?"

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
Latrans

So I was messing with DiNozzo and McGee today. DiNozzo was having a blast he was out for the longest. He will happily run from my foot to my shoulder and back down all day for treats ( my foot was in the play tub <.< I turned around and was messing around with them with treats and held out my finger and made them put both their paws on my fingers before they got the treats.

They didn't stay long took off as soon as they had the treat but it was cute, seems like it would be a good trick to work with on them, and to get ika to do it smile

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Latrans
Shanna66

bang dead is easier than bark? not in my house XD

i think this is a great idea. im sure i can get some great trick ideas out of all this mrgreen

Barking on cue. whee

i still say thats much easier than any sort of play dead lol stowrm doesnt like to bark on command but she is also the least barky dog ive ever met. she knows the command but often will refuse to do it unless i have a hoof or peanut butter in my hand

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
*Edited 4/12 with more tricks!*

Okay, as I really love this idea I'm gunna put down the tricks I can think of in easy, medium, and hard based solely on Payton and my work. Now, some tricks might fall into the other category for other people [as Latrans has already shown us!] but then that's why I'm saying Payton and me. And this way we can get a second view of what is generally hard or easy. I think if we get a couple more of these we'd be able to get a really good feel for what people traditionally think of to train their pets, and how hard they find it.

Now I will warn you, some of these Payton and I figured out, then let slide, some of them we still haven't completely managed to get down [or may not have even started yet!], and some [like circle/spin] he thinks are the coolest thing since sliced bread and will do for me all dang day.

Easy:
Sit
Come
Leave it
Wait [Similar to stay, only far more relaxed. I also use this as a wait for permission before eating]
Down
Stand
Circle and Spin [Turn in a circle in either direction. Payton turns to his right for Circle and left for spin]
Leg Weave
Roll over
Bang
Give five [Can teach them to do both feet]
Jump [Straight up]
Back [Walking backwards]
Over [Jump over something]
Up [Jump onto something or climb something like an A frame]
Bounce [Jumping forward on hind feet]
Dance [Walking on hind legs]
Touch [Touch nose to hand or finger or other object]
Pull [Take hold of something and pull]
Falcon [I'll admit we haven't tried it, but he likes to stretch on me, so it should be super easy]

Medium:
Up [Into arms]
Through [Jump through circled arms]
Walk Sideways
Standing back [Walk backwards on hind feet]
Feet on feet [Dog between legs with a foot on each of your feet while you walk]
Wave [Again, with either foot!]
Stay [In whatever position left, which means if standing stay standing, if sitting stay sitting.]
Fetch [Just simple, I throw it you bring it back]
Beg [Payton has horrid balance and falls over backwards!]
Hold it [Treat on nose/food/where ever I put them]
Tunnel [Run through a tunnel or chute]
Bow [I suspect this is because I taught down first, so it's become an obstacle]
Heel
Standing Circle/Spin [Circle or spin on hind feet]
Cross paws [Haven't tried it, but it sounds super cute, so Payton WILL learn it!]
Crawl
Around [Walk around handler. Usually it's to return to heel position.]

Hard:
Speak [Seriously. The damned dog will growl every time, but it takes about five tries to get an actual bark...]
Tuck in [Grab a blanket and roll self into it.]
Howl
Moving down/sit [Sitting or laying down in the middle of a recall. Payton tends to crouch and keep moving a few more feet.]
Shake [body, not hand]
Backwards leg weave
Bring me ________
Teeter Todder [Though he loves it now!]
Limp
Stinky [Dog covers face with a paw]
Spider puppy [Also known as walk on the ceiling! Payton actually runs away when my brother sings Spider puppy because he hates walking on the ceiling. Of course, it does require some assistance...]
Skateboard
Catch a Frisbee [We had a bad experience the first time he even chased one... Now he ignores them.]
Butt Up [Walk on front feet only]
Wall [Dog puts front feet on wall. Also used for teaching a dog his size to close a door.]
Spin/circle Backwards
Math [Bark until a very subtle signal is given to stop]

Aaaand, that's what I came up with for now. Feel free to edit for your own difficulty levels and such!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff