Welcome to Gaia! ::

i may have to do this in order to get them into the incubators if i can't keep the incubators in my apartment due to space reasons. how could that happen without damaging the eggs?

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Hiw far is the trip
Shanna66
Hiw far is the trip

about 30-35 min drive

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
passy indoors
Shanna66
Hiw far is the trip

about 30-35 min drive

well first off i would mark the top of the eggs. you want to make sure they dont turn over or anything. i would also have them kept against your body for heat.

honestly though i would just freeze all eggs and wait until you have an incubator at you rown place before you try breeding

why are you breeding if you dont even have space for an incubator if you dont mind my asking?
Shanna66
passy indoors
Shanna66
Hiw far is the trip

about 30-35 min drive

well first off i would mark the top of the eggs. you want to make sure they dont turn over or anything. i would also have them kept against your body for heat.

honestly though i would just freeze all eggs and wait until you have an incubator at you rown place before you try breeding

why are you breeding if you dont even have space for an incubator if you dont mind my asking?

it's for my senior thesis. i'm not sure if i'm going to have the space or not, because i haven't moved in yet or set up all of the furniture. i just signed the lease for my own apartment and it's really nice but it's ******** tiny and i'm paying SO MUCH for it. living in new york is hard crying

if worse comes to worst i can keep the incubators at the nat sci building at the college, but i'd rather not do that because i am a teensy bit of a control freak
up for more input plz

850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Timid 100
Wrap a towel around the bowl to keep it from shifting while traveled.

Keep them with you. If the temperature is comfortable for you - it will be fine for the eggs. The incubator/cooler will cause temperature changes to occur slowly and the eggs shouldn't suffer due to the fluctuation as long as they don't get below 70 or above 90 F.

Put the bowl eggs-and-all into a small styrofoam cooler for the move, to slow temperature changes. Wrap a towel around the bowl to keep it from shifting inside the cooler. You can also firmly tape a hand warmer to the top lid but be sure to take the tape entirely around the heat pack and lid so there is no risk of it dropping onto the eggs. You'll have to monitor the temperature if you do this so it doesn't get too warm.

EDIT: Success with this method is not assured.
GravityPure
Wrap a towel around the bowl to keep it from shifting while traveled.

Keep them with you. If the temperature is comfortable for you - it will be fine for the eggs. The incubator/cooler will cause temperature changes to occur slowly and the eggs shouldn't suffer due to the fluctuation as long as they don't get below 70 or above 90 F.

Put the bowl eggs-and-all into a small styrofoam cooler for the move, to slow temperature changes. Wrap a towel around the bowl to keep it from shifting inside the cooler. You can also firmly tape a hand warmer to the top lid but be sure to take the tape entirely around the heat pack and lid so there is no risk of it dropping onto the eggs. You'll have to monitor the temperature if you do this so it doesn't get too warm.

EDIT: Success with this method is not assured.

that makes sense! thank you!

Friendly Cultist

As a small hobby breeder my question to you is - if you don't have space in your apartment for even a small (Hovabator) incubator then I'm worried about your ability to house the babies.

I don't want to be mean - but I know too many people who just don't want to commit and will see the eggs and babies as 'disposable' just because.
Personally I have a deal with a local petstore - that at the end of any season (when I decide that it's the end of my season and time for any 'left overs' to the store.

I would also love to know where you got the parents - if you got them from big name breeders then I congratulate you for doing your research and going straight for breeder quality and lines. If they're from a petstore - I wouldn't breed them again. You can never be sure of exactly what genetic backgrounds they're from. For example the petstore I sell to drop any 'hets' from the information. They don't tell the clients (So my Tremper Albino het RAPTOR are labelled Albino (not even Tremper).)

---

All of this said. Depending on where you live you'll need to do different things. I've transported eggs at -20 outside ( I live in Canada), I simply heated up the car and rushed from the house to the car. Kept the car warm and headed out to my friends place (My incubator had died.).

Keep the eggs between 79-90 degrees. Much above that or below it for longer then a few hours will damage the embryo.

Leopard gecko eggs can be rolled! I wouldn't suggest doing it - but they are NOT snake eggs. If you accidentally roll them while transporting (or just removing them from the lay box) don't panic. The embryo will not drown - it's not like a snake egg. They're rather hardy too - the biggest mistake people make is that they don't give the eggs enough humidity (or they give too much!) I couldn't tell you off the top of my head (I can tell from the look of the eggs...).

--

I'm curious about this thesis... Breeding such a vastly available and cheap animal isn't going to help the rest of the serious breeders - and a female can lay between 2-8 eggs on her first season , or they can lay up to 16 eggs ( all of which can be fertile!). If you don't have the space for the incubator will you be able to house between 6-10 babies? (The average of my first time females...). I've had a female lay only 4 eggs (with all of them being good) but she was young - and I should have waited. All of my adult (1.5 years old 50+ (usually closer to 60) grams ) females have laid 6, 8,8 and 10 respectively on their first years.

Each of these babies will eventually need their own tank/tub/unit (ESPECIALLY if you incubate at a high temp! Males are territorial!). If you're worried about the size of an incubator because your place is tiny - how are you going to fit everyone? Even with just four good eggs that bumps your number (Assuming you use 1 pair and not a breeding trio) to 6 animals for at LEAST a month or two (you shouldn't sell babies before this point.).

--

Again - I have nothing against people breeding these animals with good reason. (I breed them because I love these animals. I'm just lucky to have such a good rep with the local petstore.) And I don't want anyone to come through something like breeding (and thus creating little lives) and then go dumping them somewhere at the end of it all.
Hollowlycan2
As a small hobby breeder my question to you is - if you don't have space in your apartment for even a small (Hovabator) incubator then I'm worried about your ability to house the babies.

I don't want to be mean - but I know too many people who just don't want to commit and will see the eggs and babies as 'disposable' just because.
Personally I have a deal with a local petstore - that at the end of any season (when I decide that it's the end of my season and time for any 'left overs' to the store.

I would also love to know where you got the parents - if you got them from big name breeders then I congratulate you for doing your research and going straight for breeder quality and lines. If they're from a petstore - I wouldn't breed them again. You can never be sure of exactly what genetic backgrounds they're from. For example the petstore I sell to drop any 'hets' from the information. They don't tell the clients (So my Tremper Albino het RAPTOR are labelled Albino (not even Tremper).)

---

All of this said. Depending on where you live you'll need to do different things. I've transported eggs at -20 outside ( I live in Canada), I simply heated up the car and rushed from the house to the car. Kept the car warm and headed out to my friends place (My incubator had died.).

Keep the eggs between 79-90 degrees. Much above that or below it for longer then a few hours will damage the embryo.

Leopard gecko eggs can be rolled! I wouldn't suggest doing it - but they are NOT snake eggs. If you accidentally roll them while transporting (or just removing them from the lay box) don't panic. The embryo will not drown - it's not like a snake egg. They're rather hardy too - the biggest mistake people make is that they don't give the eggs enough humidity (or they give too much!) I couldn't tell you off the top of my head (I can tell from the look of the eggs...).

--

I'm curious about this thesis... Breeding such a vastly available and cheap animal isn't going to help the rest of the serious breeders - and a female can lay between 2-8 eggs on her first season , or they can lay up to 16 eggs ( all of which can be fertile!). If you don't have the space for the incubator will you be able to house between 6-10 babies? (The average of my first time females...). I've had a female lay only 4 eggs (with all of them being good) but she was young - and I should have waited. All of my adult (1.5 years old 50+ (usually closer to 60) grams ) females have laid 6, 8,8 and 10 respectively on their first years.

Each of these babies will eventually need their own tank/tub/unit (ESPECIALLY if you incubate at a high temp! Males are territorial!). If you're worried about the size of an incubator because your place is tiny - how are you going to fit everyone? Even with just four good eggs that bumps your number (Assuming you use 1 pair and not a breeding trio) to 6 animals for at LEAST a month or two (you shouldn't sell babies before this point.).

--

Again - I have nothing against people breeding these animals with good reason. (I breed them because I love these animals. I'm just lucky to have such a good rep with the local petstore.) And I don't want anyone to come through something like breeding (and thus creating little lives) and then go dumping them somewhere at the end of it all.

i really appreciate the input and concern. it's nice to see that people are concerned for the animals' well being to put so much effort into a reply. 3nodding i already have the incubators (i need three for the thesis, which cost me an arm and a leg), and i'm saving up for a rack to house the babies. it's not so much the room in the apartment, as i have found out, but rather the utilities cost to keep all of the heat sources plugged in. my university has a really good lab setup so i might just have to keep the equipment there, unfortunately.

i'm not going to be breeding until at the very earliest in august, and i'm finding homes for the babies before they're hatched.

i got some of the leos from breeders, some from petsmart. i work at the petsmart i got them from and they're all very healthy and i've confirmed their color morphs. i can't say for sure what they're het for or not, but i think that's part of the fun in seeing what comes out. in fact, the male i got from a breeder has underdeveloped hemipenes so i might not be able to breed him, and i paid $80 for that little ********. doesn't make me love him any less, but i'm very bitter about it... so far he's 57g but the vet said since he hasn't shown any interest in breeding, his testosterone level is probably low. he did show interest in breeding with one of my females, but of course, she's one of the ones i can't/won't breed since she's a rescue with a kind of ******** up spine.

i've heard the exact opposite about the eggs being rolled, though. from all other sources they've been telling me that they can't be rolled at all. i mean, if it's for a split second that's one thing, but not completely.

my thesis is on reptile gender distributions being affected by climate change. and i could never in god conscious dump little lives like garbage. i know it's going to be a lot of hard work and money, but i'll do whatever it takes to make sure they're all happy and healthy. i'm even trying to take a second job to pay for all of this s**t lmao.

again, thank you so much. heart

Friendly Cultist

passy indoors
Hollowlycan2

---

--

--

i really appreciate the input and concern. it's nice to see that people are concerned for the animals' well being to put so much effort into a reply. 3nodding i already have the incubators (i need three for the thesis, which cost me an arm and a leg), and i'm saving up for a rack to house the babies. it's not so much the room in the apartment, as i have found out, but rather the utilities cost to keep all of the heat sources plugged in. my university has a really good lab setup so i might just have to keep the equipment there, unfortunately.

i'm not going to be breeding until at the very earliest in august, and i'm finding homes for the babies before they're hatched.

i got some of the leos from breeders, some from petsmart. i work at the petsmart i got them from and they're all very healthy and i've confirmed their color morphs. i can't say for sure what they're het for or not, but i think that's part of the fun in seeing what comes out. in fact, the male i got from a breeder has underdeveloped hemipenes so i might not be able to breed him, and i paid $80 for that little ********. doesn't make me love him any less, but i'm very bitter about it... so far he's 57g but the vet said since he hasn't shown any interest in breeding, his testosterone level is probably low. he did show interest in breeding with one of my females, but of course, she's one of the ones i can't/won't breed since she's a rescue with a kind of ******** up spine.

i've heard the exact opposite about the eggs being rolled, though. from all other sources they've been telling me that they can't be rolled at all. i mean, if it's for a split second that's one thing, but not completely.

my thesis is on reptile gender distributions being affected by climate change. and i could never in god conscious dump little lives like garbage. i know it's going to be a lot of hard work and money, but i'll do whatever it takes to make sure they're all happy and healthy. i'm even trying to take a second job to pay for all of this s**t lmao.

Three is a lot lols, but I know the feeling! I have two reptile racks set up and have officially run out of space this season! ( I need a hatchling rack with 40 slots pretty badly! lols.) I own 8 adult leopard geckos 3 male, 5 female. So I know what it's like to watch those incubators and racks fill up! lols.

That's good, and I hope that works out. That said I find a LOT of people flake out. They'll say one thing, but until the money is in your hand (so to speak) it's all just talk.

I don't trust petstore blood - it's just my personal opinion of course. But I don't trust it. I dislike the idea of 'floating' recessives. If you have a boy who is High yellow het for Bell Albino - but you didn't know, so you crossed him to a female Tremper Albino, then you're creating double Albino hets which in the hobby is looked down upon. (Much like mixing Mack Snow with Tug snow, or Eclispe with Marble eye).
I hear $80 and laugh honestly. That's a penny in the jar for me. The current breeders I have range from 45 dollars (Pure Tremper Albino) to $145 (Phantom). Most of my animals cost more then $100. And those are 'cheap' in my opinion. Lol. I drool over the 'blood crosses' or W/Y stuff. And that's easily 500+ dollars. It's good that the breeders I like are in the states… I'd be so broke if I didn't have to worry about importation!

I've NEVER had a problem with an egg rolling. And I'm not even talking about them being fresh (before the baby 'sticks' to a side or anything). Here is an interesting video. I highly suggest going though most of his breeding related stuff!
Sasobek Collecting Eggs.
It's a LONG video- but he's FULL of facts that are very important!

You're thesis basically states that temperature controls the sex?

If you have ANY questions or would like the other links/suggested forums//reading that I did in my days of research (which continues even now - 4 years later), just pm me! I don't bite.
Hollowlycan2
passy indoors
Hollowlycan2

---

--

--

Three is a lot lols, but I know the feeling! I have two reptile racks set up and have officially run out of space this season! ( I need a hatchling rack with 40 slots pretty badly! lols.) I own 8 adult leopard geckos 3 male, 5 female. So I know what it's like to watch those incubators and racks fill up! lols.

That's good, and I hope that works out. That said I find a LOT of people flake out. They'll say one thing, but until the money is in your hand (so to speak) it's all just talk.

I don't trust petstore blood - it's just my personal opinion of course. But I don't trust it. I dislike the idea of 'floating' recessives. If you have a boy who is High yellow het for Bell Albino - but you didn't know, so you crossed him to a female Tremper Albino, then you're creating double Albino hets which in the hobby is looked down upon. (Much like mixing Mack Snow with Tug snow, or Eclispe with Marble eye).
I hear $80 and laugh honestly. That's a penny in the jar for me. The current breeders I have range from 45 dollars (Pure Tremper Albino) to $145 (Phantom). Most of my animals cost more then $100. And those are 'cheap' in my opinion. Lol. I drool over the 'blood crosses' or W/Y stuff. And that's easily 500+ dollars. It's good that the breeders I like are in the states… I'd be so broke if I didn't have to worry about importation!

I've NEVER had a problem with an egg rolling. And I'm not even talking about them being fresh (before the baby 'sticks' to a side or anything). Here is an interesting video. I highly suggest going though most of his breeding related stuff!
Sasobek Collecting Eggs.
It's a LONG video- but he's FULL of facts that are very important!

You're thesis basically states that temperature controls the sex?

If you have ANY questions or would like the other links/suggested forums//reading that I did in my days of research (which continues even now - 4 years later), just pm me! I don't bite.

i'm not breeding for color morphs, and i'm not selling them unless there's no other way for me to find them homes. i'd rather just let friends that i trust take them as pets.

yeah, i have 6 leos and i'm hopefully getting a ball python soon, but idk if i can afford it right now. i really want this little guy at the store though because i kinda fell in love with him.

hades is a mack snow and the guy wanted $125 for him but i talked him down to $80. and when i was at the expo today the mack snows were going for like... no more than $50. and you can get them at petsmart for like $30 now.

it's not so much just the temperature defining the sex, but how rising global temperatures affect the ratio between male and female reptiles. also adding the hot female element to it which is for bringing up the discussion of "oh, temperatures rise, but look! now we have females again!" and why that's a false equivalency for species survival. idk if i'm explaining this well...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff