• Married 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Geist's Story
Hooch's Story
Max's Story
Rock's Story
Scout's Story
Bentley's Story

These are all articles of beloved dogs killed by police officers for no reason. The officer claims the dog was being aggressive, and kill it for that reason. But I would believe the owners. They know their dogs best.

The last story, Bentley. I knew that dog personally. They live not too far from my grandparents, and my friend lives on their street. He was extremely friendly and playful, and was never aggressive. I also know a lot of Howell police officers, and this does not surprise me in the slightest. I know in my heart that Bentley did nothing to warrant being killed. He was a very loving and sweet dog, and I'm pained to know he passed in such a violent way.

Every officer should have to legally wear a shoulder camera, that is always recording. As well as being retrained on how to tell if a dog is actually being aggressive. Also dogs should not be considered pets but property.

There are so many cases of this not being reported, and it breaks my heart to know that a family somewhere just lost their furry family member to the brutality of a police officer. Is this what the police have turned into? This is pathetic, and heartbreaking. I ran into Geist's story from a friend sharing it on Facebook, and it made me cry.

Anyone's thoughts/opinions on this?

Devoted Inquisitor

As the owner of a protective dog, I am terrified of something like this happening.

Beloved Bunny

14,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Married 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Latrans
As the owner of a protective dog, I am terrified of something like this happening.

It is horrible.

Like I can't even imagine how these owners feel.
This needs to be fixed, and stopped.

Devoted Inquisitor

-Love Roleplaying-
Latrans

It is horrible.

Yepp.

But there's basically no recourse.

Beloved Bunny

14,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Married 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Latrans
-Love Roleplaying-
Latrans

It is horrible.

Yepp.

But there's basically no recourse.

It's terrible. crying

Celestial Dog

just owning a pit mix, I'm terrified of a police officer ever needing to get into my house for any reason. if they were to ever gun my dog down I'd absolutely lose it. cops don't make me feel safe, they make me worry about Chopper's safety.

there are way too many excuses for cops to make for why they gunned down a dog. I mean hell, WE STILL HAVE COPS WHO KILL OTHER HUMANS FOR DISCRIMINATORY THINGS! Killing a dog is NOTHING to them and they'll get away with it.

Beloved Bunny

14,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Married 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Q2k
just owning a pit mix, I'm terrified of a police officer ever needing to get into my house for any reason. if they were to ever gun my dog down I'd absolutely lose it.

I wouldn't handle it well at all.
In all honesty if a cop shot one of my dogs in front of me I would be in jail for assault/attempted murder of an officer.

It's just wrong that police can get away with this kind of s**t.

Celestial Dog

-Love Roleplaying-
Q2k
just owning a pit mix, I'm terrified of a police officer ever needing to get into my house for any reason. if they were to ever gun my dog down I'd absolutely lose it.

In all honesty if a cop shot one of my dogs in front of me I would be in jail for assault/attempted murder of an officer.

same honestly.

it really is wrong, but they get away with... just about everything.

Beloved Bunny

14,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Married 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
Q2k
-Love Roleplaying-
Q2k

same honestly.

it really is wrong, but they get away with... just about everything.

It's sickening.

My roommates mother is a cop, and I showed her some of these articles and she looked ready to vomit. She's a huge dog lover.

It's disgusting. How would these cops feel if someone did that to someone they loved? But they don't think about it. It's disgusting and heartbreaking.
I agree with Latrans.

My dogs are very large and they are protective of myself, my husband and my family. I would be horrified if anything happened to my dogs. If something like that happened, I would be going to jail for attempted murder or just plain murder. My dogs are my life and they are my babies. I protect them the best way I can by keeping them on my property and on leashes and in fenced yards. But now a days, it seems cops are allowed to come onto a person's property all willy-nilly, without a warrant or anything like that.

It's sicking to watch/read any/all of those video's and even worse to try to imagine how it would be if it were your shoes. It needs to stop. Officer's need to be taught to look for the correct signs of aggression and learn that the firearm on their hip is the LAST form of protection, not the first. Pepper spray, the baton stick or even good ol' fashion getting back into your damn car and letting the person control the dog or calling animal control in the first place are the first steps to dealing with a situation of that sorts.

I agree as well that dogs should be considered member's of the person's family. Not property like a car. They are living and breathing creatures and they do not know what a gun is. They have NO idea what threat that little black piece of metal is when it's pointed at them. It does nothing. Period. To a dog's mind when a gun is pointed at them. Officer's need to understand that when they go into a situation, you can not go into an area containing a dog or even possibly containing a dog like a bat out of hell. It needs to be thought out, planned and executed with brains and common sense.

One of my friend's is a police officer and I like him. He own's two dogs and he loves dogs. Thankfully, he's smart enough to never have put himself into a situation like the one's in OP's post, but, I think I may speak to him about setting up a training course in which officer's understand what they can do to protect themselves against dogs without using lethal force.

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Payton guards the car when he's in it, and he takes his job very seriously. I got pulled over once with him in the car next to me and I flat out pinned him down so he couldn't try to eat the officer while I was talking to him. Even flat out told the officer that was why I was holding onto him when the officer mentioned he liked dogs. On the bright side, Payton is 10 pounds, so most people don't think of him as a threat, even when he's doing his best to seem scary.

However, if someone ended up shooting Sam it would be for no reason other than they wanted to shoot a dog. Sam is happy to welcome everyone and anyone into the house. No barking, no nothing, just a little wag of his tail as he greets them.
Payton Leeroy
Payton guards the car when he's in it, and he takes his job very seriously. I got pulled over once with him in the car next to me and I flat out pinned him down so he couldn't try to eat the officer while I was talking to him. Even flat out told the officer that was why I was holding onto him when the officer mentioned he liked dogs. On the bright side, Payton is 10 pounds, so most people don't think of him as a threat, even when he's doing his best to seem scary.

However, if someone ended up shooting Sam it would be for no reason other than they wanted to shoot a dog. Sam is happy to welcome everyone and anyone into the house. No barking, no nothing, just a little wag of his tail as he greets them.

-Le Gasp- What were you doing to get yourself pulled over? Letting Payton take the wheel? wink

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
SHD
Payton Leeroy

-Le Gasp- What were you doing to get yourself pulled over? Letting Payton take the wheel? wink

I may or may not have been speeding... That or I had a light out. Those are pretty much the only reasons I get pulled over. It was a while back, so I don't remember which!

Beloved Bunny

14,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Married 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
SHD
I agree with Latrans.

My dogs are very large and they are protective of myself, my husband and my family. I would be horrified if anything happened to my dogs. If something like that happened, I would be going to jail for attempted murder or just plain murder. My dogs are my life and they are my babies. I protect them the best way I can by keeping them on my property and on leashes and in fenced yards. But now a days, it seems cops are allowed to come onto a person's property all willy-nilly, without a warrant or anything like that.

It's sicking to watch/read any/all of those video's and even worse to try to imagine how it would be if it were your shoes. It needs to stop. Officer's need to be taught to look for the correct signs of aggression and learn that the firearm on their hip is the LAST form of protection, not the first. Pepper spray, the baton stick or even good ol' fashion getting back into your damn car and letting the person control the dog or calling animal control in the first place are the first steps to dealing with a situation of that sorts.

I agree as well that dogs should be considered member's of the person's family. Not property like a car. They are living and breathing creatures and they do not know what a gun is. They have NO idea what threat that little black piece of metal is when it's pointed at them. It does nothing. Period. To a dog's mind when a gun is pointed at them. Officer's need to understand that when they go into a situation, you can not go into an area containing a dog or even possibly containing a dog like a bat out of hell. It needs to be thought out, planned and executed with brains and common sense.

One of my friend's is a police officer and I like him. He own's two dogs and he loves dogs. Thankfully, he's smart enough to never have put himself into a situation like the one's in OP's post, but, I think I may speak to him about setting up a training course in which officer's understand what they can do to protect themselves against dogs without using lethal force.

They need to pick the non lethal measures before killing the dog. Reading further into Geist's story, the officer was completely in the wrong. First off before going and searching the entire neighborhood, the officer should have made a search on the entire house. ((If you didn't read it, a three year old boy went missing. He was found asleep in his basement.)) Second when the officer knocked on the door, and nobody was home, he should have then called the owner, or in some way found a way to contact the owner, not just let himself into the backyard to search for the kid.

And what pissed me off the most about this is after he shot and killed the dog he just left. No note, no call. He just left the body there for the owner to find. It's horrifying.

Every day I watch cops abusing their power more and more, and it is disgusting. Last night my boyfriend and I got pulled over because we were 'swerving all over the road' which was bull. It was windy, and our truck was being slightly pushed off kilter by the wind. What the officer saw was him re-correcting our vehicles path. But the officer turned without a blinker and blew through a stop sign, while speeding in a neighborhood area, just to pull us over. And guess what boyfriend hates cops so much (we have some really nasty, a*****e cops over here.) that he keeps a camera on his dash every time he gets in the car, recording the entire time we drive? And we got what he did, and how he treated us on film. I was accused of being a prostitute for wearing a short skirt, and the cop wanted to search the car without a warrant for drugs and or weapons. What ******** right do you have?

He didn't ticket us, but take a guess on who is getting his name and badge number reported, with that nice video? I think in an hour or so I'll be heading down to the police station to speak with the chief because I am pissed.

There was another officer who shot a dog right down the street from us, because when he knocked on the door the lab wriggled out of the front door and jumped on the cop to say hi. Guess who got off easy?

Cops need special training when it comes to animals, and to be forced to wear a GoPro camera running on their shoulders at ALL times. And they need to stop abusing their power.
Payton Leeroy
SHD
Payton Leeroy

I may or may not have been speeding... That or I had a light out. Those are pretty much the only reasons I get pulled over. It was a while back, so I don't remember which!

I've been lucky. I've never been pulled over before. ninja

-knock on wood-

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas