Welcome to Gaia! ::

Generous Fairy

16,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
hi! So, I just got this filter along with a 55 gallon tank for my turtle and the filter hates me and wont pump the water like it should and I've tried it seems absolutely everything and I am feeling really discouraged and want to send it back along with the inserts I also bought with it. Can anyone possibly help? gonk
How high is your water level?
For filters that hang off the tank like this the water level has to be fairly high for them to work.
(Like at the pump level, typically indicated on the pump or the instructions will say.)

Also, did you prime your filter?
(Pour water into the back of the filter before turning it on.)

Generous Fairy

16,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Aerobe
How high is your water level?
For filters that hang off the tank like this the water level has to be fairly high for them to work.
(Like at the pump level, typically indicated on the pump or the instructions will say.)

Also, did you prime your filter?
(Pour water into the back of the filter before turning it on.)
It's not at the line where it says it should be or whatever but I've had filters similar and they worked just fine a little lower than the filter says. I have turtles, like I said, so I can't have it that high because my turtle needs to bask and having it as high as it suggests wouldnt allow that. It's still fairly high, the whole filter tube is submerged. I did prime it, but nada. I have a marineland filter for my other tank and it doesn't require the water level to be that high, just enough for the filter tube and whatnot to be able to suck out the water.
Miyaka Hana
It's not at the line where it says it should be or whatever but I've had filters similar and they worked just fine a little lower than the filter says. I have turtles, like I said, so I can't have it that high because my turtle needs to bask and having it as high as it suggests wouldnt allow that. It's still fairly high, the whole filter tube is submerged. I did prime it, but nada. I have a marineland filter for my other tank and it doesn't require the water level to be that high, just enough for the filter tube and whatnot to be able to suck out the water.

When you plug it in, does the pump hum at all? Or is it dead quiet?

Generous Fairy

16,800 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
Aerobe
Miyaka Hana

It hums, yeah. Very loudly.
Miyaka Hana
Aerobe
Miyaka Hana

It hums, yeah. Very loudly.
The water may not be high enough for this filter then.
Or the impeller is damaged and not fully functioning to pull water through.

Only way to know is to take your pump off the filter and remove the tubes. So you have just the pump. Fill your sink with some water and plug it in. See if it pulls any water through it when you submerge it. If it does - then your impeller is fine and the pump needs a higher water level to work.

If it doesn't, your impeller is likely damaged. Unplug pump, remove the cover from the pump and inspect it. Impeller should spin freely by hand. If not, rinse it off and try again. If still not spinning freely, you'll need to replace the impeller. Contact company for a replacement or return the whole filter for a complete replacement.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Honestly, I'd return that filter and get a pump or at least a different brand.

I had a tetra whisper for my tank, and it just stopped working after 6 months. Save yourself the trouble and take it back now.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff