Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kairo hazuna's Waifu

Tiny Animal

[♫=♥]

For those who don't know, docking is "the removal of portions of an animal's tail or ears. While docking and bobbing are more commonly used to refer to removal of the tail, the term cropping is used in reference to the ears". [1]

It's very controversial, but it seems to me that there are more good reasons why docking is bad than good. Take a look at this webpage. It took the time to research and write down references to prove a point. Sounds convincing, huh? It still doesn't convince me not to have a doberman with its tail docked. I like the appearance. Why not? So what's your view on this?

Devoted Inquisitor

I don't have a problem with docking or cropping.

I do think that it is 'lazy' in a way--I think it would be 'better' to breed towards dogs which have the tail and ears you want naturally than to do it artificially, but I 100% understand why that would, in most cases, be an irrational thing to do--for working dogs, that would involve a lot of pointless culling (either by killing or sterilization).

The second paragraph is what I think of as my private 'feelings,' while the first is my political view on the subject.

Lonely Fatcat

10,000 Points
  • Rally Tyro 100
  • PvP 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
my dog got that years ago.
it was hard to tell if he was excited or not

Aged Elder

I don't think tail docking is necessary, but I ear clipping is kinda important. Dogs get ear infections really easily with un-clipped ears. I didn't get my American Bull Dogs ears clipped, and he gets infections a lot.

Kairo hazuna's Waifu

Tiny Animal

iAfro
my dog got that years ago.
it was hard to tell if he was excited or not
[♫=♥]

I can still tell when a dog is excited, I mean, look how this corgi dances!
Docking the tails of working terriers is said to reduce the chance of injury, however tail docking has been illegal here for years now and I know plenty of hard grafting terriers that have never picked up a tail injury. I think they are far more likely to pick up injuries on their other end when facing a cranky fox...

Tail docking is certainly less traumatic for the dog than ear cropping. Tail docking is, at least, done when the pup is 3 days old. Ear cropping is done at a later date and has a much longer recovery period, during which the pup has to have the ears taped up. I've always found that to look just plain ridiculous.

The aesthetic value is very much subjective...I personally think that docked tails are ugly. I don't think that cropped ears are as ugly [when done well], but I also don't think they look good enough to warrant what has to be done to achieve it...the benefit to bother ratio is way out, lol.

And the myth that docked dogs are faster is total bullshit, as I am yet to see a docked greyhound.

So there ya go. I don't think that docking is cruel, just ugly. I think that ear cropping is nasty, due to the recovery time for what is, essentially, a cosmetic procedure. Someone on another forum I visit had a pup die under anaesthetic whilst having it's ears done...she must have felt pretty shitty.

Amateur Angel

17,950 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
as the person above me said, tail docking was originally mainly done for the safety of working dogs, as well as 'breed standard' for shows. As long as its done at a young age, I really have no issue with it, but it seems like if its done at a later age, these types of things tend to be alot more painful.

I personally have a Pembroke welsh corgi, and her tail is undocked, but shes not a working dog or a show dog, so I really saw no purpose in docking it. To me, it was a waste of money, and her tail has an adorable white tip xP

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
I have no issues with it, IF it is done at the proper time in the animal's life. Also if the breeder wants the animals to have docked ears for the standard then I beleive it should be their money that goes into it if the pups have to go to their homes before it is time to get the ears clipped.

IF it is past the proper time it is cruel and shouldn't be done.
I don't particularly have issues with either, but I think most dogs are soooooo much cuter with natural ears!!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

d'AWWWWWWWW, almost looks like a wittle weimaraner.
stop eatin' other people's old french fries, pigeon, have some self respect, don't you know you can fly?

Dangerous Lover

I have no problems with it, as long as it is done right. I remember seeing a case of abuse on animal planet where some teenager tried to do it themselves with rubber bands and scissors. It scarred me for life just seeing it on tv!

Though I do think ear clipping is really ugly in comparison to the dog's natural ears, and the tail docking is just plastic surgery for dogs, unless you have show dogs or working dogs.

Liberal Codger

I'm not a big fan of it, unless maybe the tail or ears are getting in the way of the dog doing something? But I'm not quite sure how often that happens. :/ Don't see why people don't just breed the dogs so they have shorter ears and tails...

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Ayamae Akahana
I'm not a big fan of it, unless maybe the tail or ears are getting in the way of the dog doing something? But I'm not quite sure how often that happens. :/ Don't see why people don't just breed the dogs so they have shorter ears and tails...

Cropping ears for some hunting dogs are so when they go through the brush their ears aren't getting caught on things. Tail docking as someone said is suppose to help with the animals not getting their tails injured broken.

Some dogs though are bred for their tails to be how they are suppose to be, terriers have really strong tails that are were/are used to grab the dog if it starts back into a hole that they shouldn't... it is really strong to help keep it from breaking when tugged on hard. There tails were docked shorter to help protect their spine when they were pulled out by their tail

I know you probably don't care but I thought I would post the information so others may read it. and you said something if there is a reason I just gave you some.

I had a terrier growing up, he was mixed but if his ears weren't floppy. he looked like a Cairn mix.

Eloquent Gawker

letter on the clouds
Though I do think ear clipping is really ugly in comparison to the dog's natural ears, and the tail docking is just plastic surgery for dogs, unless you have show dogs or working dogs

The problem with this is that, at 2-3 days old when docking must be done, there is no way to tell if a dog is going to be a working or show dog. You can get dogs unsuitable for both out of litters bred for work or show, and you can also get a dog that ends up working out of a "pet" litter.

8,800 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
Skeksis
Docking the tails of working terriers is said to reduce the chance of injury, however tail docking has been illegal here for years now and I know plenty of hard grafting terriers that have never picked up a tail injury. I think they are far more likely to pick up injuries on their other end when facing a cranky fox...

For working terriers (looked it up cause i remembered it but not exactly why) it is to reduce the risk of hurting the dog's spine when they are being pulled back out of the hole they start to go down. Since yeah... grabbing the tip would hurt a bit more than grabbing more towards the thicker base.

They are wonderful handles for a dog that really if it is intent on doing its job the only place you have to grab is normally that little wagging tail. XD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff