Welcome to Gaia! ::

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
oh my god i have heard some dumbass reasons for people wanting to surrender their pets. feel free to add your own dumb experiences to the list. i would also like to say that allergies and moving are pretty decent reasons to surrender a pet. yes it sucks but sometimes thats what has to happen and i fully understand

had one guy wanting to surrender his dog to be put down because it was dominant so it was hard to train

a guy yesterday wanted to surrender his elderly dog because it was sick so he didnt want it anymore

another guy yesterday surrendered his cat because it kept bringing dead animals in the house (keep your cat inside and that wont happen)

child teasing an animal then the animal nips the child

a dog biting whenever you hit it (this one pissed me off so much)

the animal getting old so its unwanted

the family got a new puppy or kitten and doesnt need the adult animal anymore (this one is really common)

the dog doesnt like being an outside dog and keeps trying to come inside to spend time with the family

the cat wont go outside so oh noes i have to get a litterbox

and one of my favorites, the kids got bored of it
That's just disgusting. I find it extremely difficult not to deck every person I meet that gives the shelter such an idiotic reason for abandoning their pets. It's just horrific.

When I heard this reasoning, I nearly fell out of the chair I was sitting in:

"The cat's old now and it's fur doesn't match my couch anymore."

Like, come on! People who think like that shouldn't be allowed to get pets!

Fluffy Noob

dog doesn't want to be an outside dog...omg confused

Idk how you haven't attacked anyone who told you these reasons...I don't think I could resist throwing stuff at them emotion_donotwant

Celestial Dog

you must have the patience of a saint to deal with people being so ignorant and awful.

our family cat when I was a kid was a rescue whose original family surrendered her because they were 'moving and didn't want to take her along'. honestly the things people don't take into account when they get a pet to begin with are baffling (she was such an awesome kitty, too. their loss!)

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
SHD
That's just disgusting. I find it extremely difficult not to deck every person I meet that gives the shelter such an idiotic reason for abandoning their pets. It's just horrific.

i havent gotten that one yet thank god

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Q2k
you must have the patience of a saint to deal with people being so ignorant and awful.

our family cat when I was a kid was a rescue whose original family surrendered her because they were 'moving and didn't want to take her along'. honestly the things people don't take into account when they get a pet to begin with are baffling (she was such an awesome kitty, too. their loss!)

potatoooo
dog doesn't want to be an outside dog...omg confused

Idk how you haven't attacked anyone who told you these reasons...I don't think I could resist throwing stuff at them emotion_donotwant

i have kind of lost my temper and called someone an a*****e for wanting to exchange his elderly dog for a puppy. to this day im really amazed he didnt go complain about me to my manager.

i have had plenty of people complaining about me to my manager but it hasnt really been about any of the times ive called people out on their assholeness. its always been stupid stuff like i told one family that a dog didnt like other dogs and wouldnt make a good outside dog because she escapes, they got pissed and complained to my manager saying i must be making up lies about to dog to talk them out of it. and another stupid time i got a complaint was when i asked a woman to not put her fingers in the puppy cage and she refused to i told her again a little more sternly to get her fingers out and she threw a hissy fit and marched over to my manager

the moving thing i can understand depending on the reasoning. finding a place that allows pets is hard. and some people need to move overseas. i live in a big military area so that reason is very common. but some people can still be stupid about it. one woman got a 2 month old puppy then returned it the next day because she was having to go overseas in a few days and was unable to find a sitter
Shanna66
SHD

It's just awful isn't it? I've even gotten these two:

"The dog is deaf now, so it doesn't listen to me."

and

"The dog is blind and keeps knocking over my expensive things."

It just makes me sick to hear the stupid excuses that people make.

Original Genius

8,050 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Lavish Tipper 200
I'm an Animal Management student in England, and one part of my course is that I have to do work experience. I chose to do my work experience at a place called Doggy Day Creche, where we had a large enclosed paddock where we let the dogs run free and play and interact with each other while their owners were at work or away or whatever (it was like a nursey for dogs basically and we also had a boarding service available).

My favourite dog we had was a very sweet Rhodesian Ridgeback called Coco. She was grumpy and would grumble at times, but in my experience, every Ridgeback I've met so far is pretty grumpy and it wasn't really an issue. She never went to bite anyone, or showed any aggressive behaviours apart from the occasional grumble whenever an overexcited dog ran in to her.

Anyway, the owners had a baby (their first child) and at the time of this incident, the child was a toddler. What had happened was Coco, who had never been around children before this incident, was chewing one of her toys in the living room, with the child nearby. The parents left the dog and the child alone in the room (which should obviously never be done, especially with a dog as large and grumpy as a Ridgeback). Anyway, the child went and put his hand in Coco's mouth to take the toy away from her (as small kids do) and he was nipped in the face (nothing big, but did leave a small cut).

The parents totally over reacted and had her put down the next day.

All of us at the Creche were so furious that they had her put down, especially since she could have been rehomed to someone without kids, even a number of us that worked there would have taken her home, and Jackie (the owner of the business) would have happily taken her in permanently and kept her as a pet. Not only that, but Jackie had also offered numerous times during and after the pregnancy to give training to Coco while she was at the Creche to get her used to children and to discourage her from biting as much as possible, but they always declined, saying she didn't need it (we did do some work with her anyway when we could, but it was obviously wasn't enough).

This was just over a year ago now and I no longer work at the Creche, but I keep in touch and we all still miss Coco very much cry

Fluffy Noob

xHelloImTheDoctorx

That's horrible... sad

Do places that put down animals not ask questions ,like why, before putting the animal?

Fluffy Noob

Shanna66

hope your manager didn't get mad at you, what you did wasn't wrong at all O___o

I just can't
understand how people can be so dumb. Like
???? some stories I can't even believe.

If you know you're going to be overseas in a few days...why would you get a new puppy?
xHelloImTheDoctorx

I'm sorry to hear about Coco. She seemed like a beautiful and loving dog and did not deserve such an ignorant family. I'm glad she was loved by yourself and the other staff member's.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
SHD
Shanna66
SHD

and

yuck

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
xHelloImTheDoctorx
I'm an Animal Management student in England, and one part of my course is that I have to do work experience. I chose to do my work experience at a place called Doggy Day Creche, where we had a large enclosed paddock where we let the dogs run free and play and interact with each other while their owners were at work or away or whatever (it was like a nursey for dogs basically and we also had a boarding service available).

My favourite dog we had was a very sweet Rhodesian Ridgeback called Coco. She was grumpy and would grumble at times, but in my experience, every Ridgeback I've met so far is pretty grumpy and it wasn't really an issue. She never went to bite anyone, or showed any aggressive behaviours apart from the occasional grumble whenever an overexcited dog ran in to her.

Anyway, the owners had a baby (their first child) and at the time of this incident, the child was a toddler. What had happened was Coco, who had never been around children before this incident, was chewing one of her toys in the living room, with the child nearby. The parents left the dog and the child alone in the room (which should obviously never be done, especially with a dog as large and grumpy as a Ridgeback). Anyway, the child went and put his hand in Coco's mouth to take the toy away from her (as small kids do) and he was nipped in the face (nothing big, but did leave a small cut).

The parents totally over reacted and had her put down the next day.

All of us at the Creche were so furious that they had her put down, especially since she could have been rehomed to someone without kids, even a number of us that worked there would have taken her home, and Jackie (the owner of the business) would have happily taken her in permanently and kept her as a pet. Not only that, but Jackie had also offered numerous times during and after the pregnancy to give training to Coco while she was at the Creche to get her used to children and to discourage her from biting as much as possible, but they always declined, saying she didn't need it (we did do some work with her anyway when we could, but it was obviously wasn't enough).

This was just over a year ago now and I no longer work at the Creche, but I keep in touch and we all still miss Coco very much cry

thats so horrible!!!!! we had one of my favorite dogs returned recently. a blue heeler that nipped a kid after he had been teasing the dog with food. the woman pulled me aside and demanded that we have the animal put down for hurting her poor little baby. thank god we didnt though. 10 day bite hold then back on the floor

and honestly, if i had a kid and stowrm bit them, i wouldnt get rid of stowrm. my mother would bring feral cats home when i was little and i got beat up a few times. it helped me learn how to respect an animal

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
potatoooo
Shanna66

hope your manager didn't get mad at you, what you did wasn't wrong at all O___o

I just can't
understand how people can be so dumb. Like
???? some stories I can't even believe.

If you know you're going to be overseas in a few days...why would you get a new puppy?

my manager that im always butting heads with did try to pull me aside to chew me out but honestly i have no respect for her so i just told her i would do it again. she uses any excuse to try and fuss at me about stuff so im 110% done with any of her bullshit

none of my other managers cared. they come to me and ask my side of the story then say its fine and to keep doing what im doing because customers tend to be idiots when they see a cute puppy or kitten
Shanna66
SHD
Shanna66
SHD

and

yuck

I know. Does your shelter do background checks/contacts other rescues to see if the person was telling the truth about the question, "Have you ever surrendered a pet before?"?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff