Welcome to Gaia! ::

Kanto_Mint
~ Aki - Fairy ~

Don't let so many animals be born or make the law stricter on people who can own an animal.
A lot of animals that go into shelters seem to be given to shelters due to ex owners ditching them; or shelters take animals in to save animals from abusive owners. Less children and better laws would help a lot. Charities are a wonderful thing; we have a great one our friend "J" knows; they help pay for jabs, neuts e.t.c. Especially for those who took in an animal to save it.

Society has always rather cared for its money than anything else; that isn't new. :/

The gas box is a frightening experience for them; which is a big reason it is wrong.
I don't think it is possible to kill humanely. :/ I'll be honest.
My grand-father who has had to on the farm did say: "Humane should mean they are dead before they know what is happening, little to no pain and no fright."
Huddling them up and frightning them to the point of bad bowels or vomitting is not humane.

Also what would we do when human babies get into this situation? (Which in my opinion is only a matter of time.)

As I stated in my opinion killing an animal without reason is just as bad as murdering a human without reason; it involves killing. So if parents can't keep a cat they can kill it; chuck it away like a worn out toy? It is still allowing them the moral standing of: "We can't keep it; so kill it." Which a lot do; they manipulate that. Which is very very bad. Since pets are not a toy to throw away.

Also I know you are not attacking me; do not worry. :] I just got...well as you can see a lot of quotes some friendly some not so friendly. So...yeah. Can get annoying.~

Getting the government involved in pet ownership would be a rather tricky process and one that a lot of people would not like. Without actual physical home checks, how would they be able to actually monitor how many animals an individual has? What about being sure that the animals are fixed at an appropriate age? Such measures would result in an increase in taxes and another way to spend them that people will see as a waste - you'd have a s**t ton of unhappy general populace just over the cost of such measures, not to mention disgruntled homeowners, having to allow strangers to come in and snoop about (it's easy enough to adjust the truth on a sheet of paper [surveys] without them ever knowing, and if something came up it could be argued that the animal was obtained after the survey was completed, kind of hard to prove otherwise)

I'd much rather see/hear of people giving up their unwanted pets to shelters and/or putting them down (preferably methods that are quick with minimal pain) than continuing to abuse/neglect them because they don't care.

As far as humans go - a good culling of humans wouldn't be the worst thing to happen, but how would you ever decide who makes the call of who lives and who dies, and what would the requirements for continued life be?
And let's face it, it's already happened once and isn't likely to be repeated; there'll never be enough agreeance about it throughout the world to go ahead.
The only really "humane" way to cull the human population would be through some kind of survival of the fittest thing, but again - who's going to be the dictator sitting in their plush office making the decisions? Humans are, at present, top of the food chain - there's nobody above us that gets to make the decisions, unless you believe in some sort of "god"

Lonely Fatcat

Kanto_Mint

I'll help.

The kitten I have now (Aki Fairy posted in my advice thread) I got off a friend.
I got it off a friend because said friend got it off another person. Who took the kitten from its original owners.

Why did they take it from the original owners?
Because the male bought the kitten for girlfriend; who was pregnant but didn't know. Once they found out she was; they sayd they were going to domestically kill the cat. :/ So ___ took it off them; gave it to our friend J who had to give it a home the same night ! (Aki this is also an update to my advice thread; we also don't know how old it is anymore; someone said its too small to be eight weeks!! Poor thing. )

Deleted a section; because I am fed up defending an opinion. Apparently no one can have an opinion. > . >

1,866 needed; I signed. <3

Thanks! I made my mom and dad and grandparents sign. They gave me a stare but did it anyways. biggrin

Lonely Fatcat

Lady Fugitivus
hello4yellow
~ Aki - Fairy ~
I believe there's at least a couple users in this forum who use/recommend gas chambers for killing rodents and fish and such; such people are breeders that care about the quality of animal they produce and care about the culled animals enough to put them down in the most humane at-home way possible.

As for that whole "never let your pets out of your sight" - yeah, sure, I'll get right on that and start packing them everywhere, even 'no pets allowed' places, and/or become a recluse that never leaves my house or sleeps, because something might happen to them while I'm not watching them like a hawk.

For the never let your pet out of sight thing, that was just a little humor. For the gas chamber, I think fish and rodents are okay. But in my opinion, an injection only takes a few seconds and 2 minutes max. while a gas chamber session takes around 25 minutes. I've seen one myself and the yelps of pain from the puppies and dogs are too much for me to bear.

Does this mean you care less about our rodent friends? emotion_omnomnom

But no really, it's how I put my eldest rat down.
What I saw there, it was fairly painless and she went right to sleep. No issues at all.
We gave her her favorite meal right before.

Honestly, there aren't many good ways to kill living creatures.

Rodents die quickly because their bodies are small. Dogs (Big dogs) die slowly due to the lack of air and the poison. And true. But I think they should make a city (Or a giant box) where they can put animals. They're gonna die at some point right? All ways of killing animals are painful. No type of death isn't. Old age is the least painful way of dying. I think. lol

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Shanna66
Keyona
Kanto_Mint

I'll help.

The kitten I have now (Aki Fairy posted in my advice thread) I got off a friend.
I got it off a friend because said friend got it off another person. Who took the kitten from its original owners.

Because the male bought the kitten for girlfriend; who was pregnant but didn't know. Once they found out she was; they sayd they were going to domestically kill the cat. :/ So ___ took it off them; gave it to our friend J who had to give it a home the same night ! (Aki this is also an update to my advice thread; we also don't know how old it is anymore; someone said its too small to be eight weeks!! Poor thing. )

I'm against murdering your own pet; you look after them. When our gunie (spelling) pig was dying my mother stayed up all night by its side, knowing it was dying. She kept him warm, tried to make him eat and drink. Tried everything to save him; even if she knew he was 99% going to die. He died in the morning; my mother couldn't put him in the box; she was too upset. So I had to do it; putting the little dead body (big for his animal) in the box was upsetting enough; he was so cold. You should try and save your pet; or go to a vet. There are pet charities that help with costs and if you can't afford a vet you shouldn't have a pet. :/ Ever since the kitten I've taken this stuff a lot more seriously.

Thank you for calling a few of us murders, though by definition you can only murder humans.

Growing up on a farm there were times we killed our animals, food and companion a like. I would rather put an animal down then sit up and watch the animal go down hill and die. Warrick was passed by the vet... $70 Christmas present from my aunt for my gerbil. I didn't have that much...next time a gerbil of mine gets that bad it is home made gas chamber or something a bit more messy. Currently if ika does something stupid I'm screwed.

ive heard that having the vet put down your rodent is something that should be avoided since its so stressfull. did your vet use the needle or did they have a gas chamber? i did a bunch of research before i gassed my rat and my vet used the needs to put down rodents and i kept hearing horror stories from other rat owners about using injections to kill them

The vet down state used gas. Little bugger was wide-eyed and curious when we pulled him out of the carrier (Skin and bones but curious still... didn't help me not feel like s**t)

We went into the room (i think it was a surgery room) and we used a giant dog (think it was a dog) face mask. we put him under it and had it on the table and then turned on the gas (can't remember if there was a towel down or not), he was moving around checking everything out. It was hard to watch, but Vicky (head vet) had great bed side manner, and yeah he just was getting dizzy/drowsy and finally laid down and went to sleep.

Lonely Fatcat

Kanto_Mint
Keyona

In my opinion when you take a creatures life; whatever creature you murder it.
Killing = murder.
EDIT: In my opinion!

My grand-father in law has had to kill animals on his farm; so I find it ironic you assume I do not understand farm life; I do.

One of his sheep was so badly dying with no hope; he had to snap its neck. My grand mother by blood was in the house; she couldn't go out with him; she was too upset. My grand-father who has been working on farms since a child; still gets upset by it. My grand-father even says himself: "Sometimes I have to kill them myself; killing is murder but I do it for kindness."

I have bottle fed a lamb on the farm; a young lamb. It might of lived; it might of died. We couldn't tell. But instead of say "Nah see ya; too much work." We took care of it. I put a blanket on it, I hugged it, I comforted it, I fed it by bottle, we took it into the house. We tried everything for the baby lamb; so that if it did die it died peacefully; if it lived it got to live. It died, but peacefully in its sleep.

^ So; I do understand. Very much so. So I would appreciate you not assuming things about a stranger; it isn't very pleasant.

I have my opinion; you have yours. Were both entitled to it. I signed the petition; and so have others. We are allowed our opinions.

Also farmers are very different from people who just want to get rid of their animals; and this type of thing allows them to do so. There are owners; like my kittens owners who bought it for selfish reasons; only for a day and decided didn't want it due to the girl being pregent. They were going to kill the kitten. For what? It was young, healthy and a whole life ahead. "Domesticly kill it" they said. No; it is murder. They do not have a legit reason to kill it. And those type of people make me sick and need to be stopped. It is horrible how some pet owners just "ditch" their animals for no good reason. Either killing them or leaving them for dead. It is sick. People do it to children and babies too. But the human babies have protection; and so should the animals.

So: there we have it. I did not come here to debate but lend a hand to a cause I believe is worth while. You may debate with me if you wish; but the debate will go nowhere minus wasting our time and energy.

My grandpa is a farmer. He has chicken, pigs, a cow and a lamb. My little cousin jumped on a lamb and almost broke his legs. crying . After that, we never let her on the farm without me watching her. And I bet your grandfather is a really nice man. (Never go to western china. They kill dogs then eat them. I screamed and ran away when I saw that. )

Lonely Fatcat

Keyona
Shanna66
Keyona
Kanto_Mint

I'll help.

I'm against murdering your own pet; you look after them. When our gunie (spelling) pig was dying my mother stayed up all night by its side, knowing it was dying. She kept him warm, tried to make him eat and drink. Tried everything to save him; even if she knew he was 99% going to die. He died in the morning; my mother couldn't put him in the box; she was too upset. So I had to do it; putting the little dead body (big for his animal) in the box was upsetting enough; he was so cold. You should try and save your pet; or go to a vet. There are pet charities that help with costs and if you can't afford a vet you shouldn't have a pet. :/ Ever since the kitten I've taken this stuff a lot more seriously.

Thank you for calling a few of us murders, though by definition you can only murder humans.

Growing up on a farm there were times we killed our animals, food and companion a like. I would rather put an animal down then sit up and watch the animal go down hill and die. Warrick was passed by the vet... $70 Christmas present from my aunt for my gerbil. I didn't have that much...next time a gerbil of mine gets that bad it is home made gas chamber or something a bit more messy. Currently if ika does something stupid I'm screwed.

ive heard that having the vet put down your rodent is something that should be avoided since its so stressfull. did your vet use the needle or did they have a gas chamber? i did a bunch of research before i gassed my rat and my vet used the needs to put down rodents and i kept hearing horror stories from other rat owners about using injections to kill them

The vet down state used gas. Little bugger was wide-eyed and curious when we pulled him out of the carrier (Skin and bones but curious still... didn't help me not feel like s**t)

We went into the room (i think it was a surgery room) and we used a giant dog (think it was a dog) face mask. we put him under it and had it on the table and then turned on the gas (can't remember if there was a towel down or not), he was moving around checking everything out. It was hard to watch, but Vicky (head vet) had great bed side manner, and yeah he just was getting dizzy/drowsy and finally laid down and went to sleep.

Aw. I'm sorry for your loss. But rats are really curious. One rat was curious about what my finger tasted like.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Shanna66
Kanto_Mint
~ Aki - Fairy ~

Don't let so many animals be born or make the law stricter on people who can own an animal.
A lot of animals that go into shelters seem to be given to shelters due to ex owners ditching them; or shelters take animals in to save animals from abusive owners. Less children and better laws would help a lot. Charities are a wonderful thing; we have a great one our friend "J" knows; they help pay for jabs, neuts e.t.c. Especially for those who took in an animal to save it.

Society has always rather cared for its money than anything else; that isn't new. :/

The gas box is a frightening experience for them; which is a big reason it is wrong.
I don't think it is possible to kill humanely. :/ I'll be honest.
My grand-father who has had to on the farm did say: "Humane should mean they are dead before they know what is happening, little to no pain and no fright."
Huddling them up and frightning them to the point of bad bowels or vomitting is not humane.

Also what would we do when human babies get into this situation? (Which in my opinion is only a matter of time.)

As I stated in my opinion killing an animal without reason is just as bad as murdering a human without reason; it involves killing. So if parents can't keep a cat they can kill it; chuck it away like a worn out toy? It is still allowing them the moral standing of: "We can't keep it; so kill it." Which a lot do; they manipulate that. Which is very very bad. Since pets are not a toy to throw away.

Also I know you are not attacking me; do not worry. :] I just got...well as you can see a lot of quotes some friendly some not so friendly. So...yeah. Can get annoying.~

there are plenty of humane ways to kill something. in my post i mentioned shooting in the head and breaking necks, both very painless.

as for gassing, ive done it to one of my pet rats before. very painless and he was eating his favoprite treats until he died. he wasnt stressed at all. but unliuke a shelter i only had one animal in my gas chamber and got to give him lots of love and treats before putting him down so he wasnt afraid at all

I think i I ever have to gas another animal I am going to bring the treats in for them... it seemed to keep D and M very happy and hams at the vets.

Lonely Fatcat

Satans Bloody Valentine
Wish I could double sign O.o

Me too.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
hello4yellow
Keyona
Shanna66
Keyona
Kanto_Mint

I'll help.

Aw. I'm sorry for your loss. But rats are really curious. One rat was curious about what my finger tasted like.

I don't own rats.

Rodents in themselves though are curious, though.

I wish there was another option for Warrick.. but i was leaving to go back to school in a week... and refused to sit and play the waiting game to see if he was going to bleed out or starve to death first. I would rather kill him then force him to suffer because "Killing living things is wrong"

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
hello4yellow

What is wrong with eating dogs?

If you think eating dogs are bad then I sure hope to a higher power that you are a Vegan.

What makes a dog's life worth more than a cow's? a pig's? a chicken's? Guinea pig's? rabbit's?

those dogs that are killed for meat... they are raised for meat, the would not be good for pets as none of those traits are taken into account when breeding.

Lonely Fatcat

Keyona

Kill living things that aren't suffering is wrong. My great-uncle has a dog that won't eat, drink or even get up. We ( By 'we' I mean him) took him to the vet and she put him to sleep. He buried him in his backyard in a small wooden coffin. I hardly visit him because of that doggy. I dont like being around dead things.

Lonely Fatcat

Keyona
hello4yellow

If you think eating dogs are bad then I sure hope to a higher power that you are a Vegan.

What makes a dog's life worth more than a cow's? a pig's? a chicken's? Guinea pig's? rabbit's?

those dogs that are killed for meat... they are raised for meat, the would not be good for pets as none of those traits are taken into account when breeding.

In my family, we only eat fish. They're over populated anyways. And to somepeople, a pet is like family. I won't want to eat my brother.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
hello4yellow
Keyona
hello4yellow

In my family, we only eat fish. They're over populated anyways. And to somepeople, a pet is like family. I won't want to eat my brother.

fish are over populated? you do realize we (humans) over fish like no other right?

okay but these dogs aren't pets they are meat animals. they were never pets. I own a cat, she is my fur baby, she is my family. Not going to stop me from trying cat. I ride horses, and love my friend's horses... not going to stop me from trying horse.... my boyfriend owns a rabbit, and i take care of her some times... still think rabbit tastes amazing.

I also suggest you never come to my house. I have dead things every where (meat in the fridge, fox tails, rabbit pelts, feather of birds that are probably dead, and leather.) it is a very dead friendly place

Also fish are living breathing things... they aren't suffering until they are pulled out of the water and slowly suffocate to death. at least the land meat animals have humane deaths (or at least as humane as mass killing things for food can be)

Lonely Fatcat

Keyona
hello4yellow
Keyona
hello4yellow

fish are over populated? you do realize we (humans) over fish like no other right?

okay but these dogs aren't pets they are meat animals. they were never pets. I own a cat, she is my fur baby, she is my family. Not going to stop me from trying cat. I ride horses, and love my friend's horses... not going to stop me from trying horse.... my boyfriend owns a rabbit, and i take care of her some times... still think rabbit tastes amazing.

I also suggest you never come to my house. I have dead things every where (meat in the fridge, fox tails, rabbit pelts, feather of birds that are probably dead, and leather.) it is a very dead friendly place

Also fish are living breathing things... they aren't suffering until they are pulled out of the water and slowly suffocate to death. at least the land meat animals have humane deaths (or at least as humane as mass killing things for food can be)

The coffin has a window on the top and is buried half way. You can see the body rotting away. That's what scares me. In the Western China, they raise them as pets then slaughter them like strays. I don't mind feathers, leather, meat in the fridge but I'm afraid of seeing things rotting. (Animals and corpses)

Lonely Fatcat

Keyona

Can we please stop with the bickering? It's not helping me or you continue on with out lives. And it's certainly not helping with our attitude. I'm doing homework and I have to check this page to see if you replied yet. Also, Im pretty sure you have something else to do. Clean the house? Eat lunch/dinner? Look at other threads? Have a wine and some cheese. cheese_whine

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff