Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lonely Fatcat

Gas Chambers are filled with dogs and cats. The workers close the lid and the chamber starts to be filled with carbon monoxide gas. Please help spread the word about this. The most know state who does this type of killing is North Carolina. Sorry guys. But it's true. Check out this video. Thanks!
Video Link

Also, sign this petition too.
The Letter:

Petition: Stop killing companion animals with gas

If gas chambers were so "humane" then why was this practice banned for the worst serial killers in America, yet it's "okay" to do it to our innocent pets which is senseless and cruel. These animals suffer horrendous terror losing bowel and bladder control due to fear, and often drown in their own vomit. Contrary to popular belief, is not humane. One example was Andrea the cat-gassed TWICE,then thrown in the freezer - she woke up meowing in agony in the freezer. See:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2050819/Stray-cat-Andrea-survives-gas-chamber-Utah-animal-shelter-twice.html

Washington, DC – Congressman Jim Moran, Northern Virginia Democrat and co-chair of the Congressional Animal Protection Caucus, introduced a resolution, H. Res. 736, opposing the use of gas chambers to euthanize shelter animals. The resolution calls for states to alternatively use established injectable euthanasia drugs and ensure that appropriate training and certification in these methods is widely available. See: http://moran.house.gov/press-release/moran-introduces-resolution-opposing-euthanasia-animal-shelters

“Death by gas is long, terrifying and painful, and it is unconscionable that this tactic is still being used in this country,” said Debbie Marson, local animal protection advocate and volunteer for A Forever Home. “Lethal injection is more humane, more cost effective, and only takes seconds. Euthanasia, after all, means ‘good death.’ Death by gas chamber does not meet this definition.” “Animal gas chambers, used at shelters in 32 states to euthanize healthy, adoptable, homeless dogs and cats, are cruel and inhumane,” said Megan Mason of Take Action-Help Ban Animal Gas Chambers.

The Association of Shelter Veterinarians has stated, "...the use of carbon monoxide for individual or mass companion animal euthanasia in shelters is unacceptable due to significant humane, operational and safety concerns." Please read their document available online at: http://www.sheltervet.org/associations/4853/files/CO Position Statement.pdf
Further these tanks can leak that can damage employee health (leading to litigation) and is highly explosive. Many cats and dogs went in a coma and were buried alive, or put in the freezer, still alive.

Elderly and pregnant animals often require several gas chamber sessions due to reduced lung capacity-and many animals are thrown into a single chamber.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/04/0411_050411_peteuthanasia_2.html

"The animal is in a warm or hot box, usually with other animals. They don't know what's going on. The hiss of the gas is going on inside. They get dizzy, and they panic," he said. Fights can break out, and animals' calls can be heard.

Today most private and city animal shelters euthanize animals with sodium pentobarbital, a controlled substance that is injected into one of a dog or cat's veins. Animals die in seconds, experts say, and without pain or suffering.

The American Humane Association (AHA), an animal- and child-welfare nonprofit, says that lethal injection is the only acceptable method for putting down dogs and cats.

Currently 13 states, including California, Florida, and New York, require animal shelters to perform death by injection, according to the AHA."

Death by heart stick (intracardiac injection) should also be banned-the needle doesn't always hit is target and the animal screams in agony and does not die right away, even if it does enter the heart. It's a horrible way to die. A poison-filled syringe is jabbed through an animal's chest wall. This method also causes excruciating pain."

Thank you.
Sincerely,

[Your name]

Tell your friends about this thread. And tell ramdom people too. Every person counts. Thanks! And remember to take care of your pets and never let them out of your sight. Yes. Do stalk them.

Lonely Fatcat

Spread the word:
[size=9] Animals and humans are very much alike. But humans can change their own fate while animals can only sit there and watch. So go help a soul. Lend a hand to an animal and help them have a caring family and a someone to love. Read [url=http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/pets/stop-gas-chambers-help-me-sign-this-petition/t.82684333/?_gaia_t_=7564]this thread[/url] and spread the word. [/size]

Lonely Fatcat

People who have helped:
Kanto_Mint
Satans Bloody Valentine

EDIT: There is a way to kill animals peacefully. Make them go to sleep. As in a shot. And then inject the kill needle. (Or whatever it's called. I call it the kill needle)

Feline Fairy

I believe there's at least a couple users in this forum who use/recommend gas chambers for killing rodents and fish and such; such people are breeders that care about the quality of animal they produce and care about the culled animals enough to put them down in the most humane at-home way possible.

As for that whole "never let your pets out of your sight" - yeah, sure, I'll get right on that and start packing them everywhere, even 'no pets allowed' places, and/or become a recluse that never leaves my house or sleeps, because something might happen to them while I'm not watching them like a hawk.

Lonely Fatcat

~ Aki - Fairy ~
I believe there's at least a couple users in this forum who use/recommend gas chambers for killing rodents and fish and such; such people are breeders that care about the quality of animal they produce and care about the culled animals enough to put them down in the most humane at-home way possible.

As for that whole "never let your pets out of your sight" - yeah, sure, I'll get right on that and start packing them everywhere, even 'no pets allowed' places, and/or become a recluse that never leaves my house or sleeps, because something might happen to them while I'm not watching them like a hawk.

For the never let your pet out of sight thing, that was just a little humor. For the gas chamber, I think fish and rodents are okay. But in my opinion, an injection only takes a few seconds and 2 minutes max. while a gas chamber session takes around 25 minutes. I've seen one myself and the yelps of pain from the puppies and dogs are too much for me to bear.

7,200 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
hello4yellow
~ Aki - Fairy ~

For the never let your pet out of sight thing, that was just a little humor. For the gas chamber, I think fish and rodents are okay. But in my opinion, an injection only takes a few seconds and 2 minutes max. while a gas chamber session takes around 25 minutes. I've seen one myself and the yelps of pain from the puppies and dogs are too much for me to bear.

Does this mean you care less about our rodent friends? emotion_omnomnom

But no really, it's how I put my eldest rat down.
What I saw there, it was fairly painless and she went right to sleep. No issues at all.
We gave her her favorite meal right before.

Honestly, there aren't many good ways to kill living creatures.

I'll help.

The kitten I have now (Aki Fairy posted in my advice thread) I got off a friend.
I got it off a friend because said friend got it off another person. Who took the kitten from its original owners.

Why did they take it from the original owners?
Because the male bought the kitten for girlfriend; who was pregnant but didn't know. Once they found out she was; they sayd they were going to domestically kill the cat. :/ So ___ took it off them; gave it to our friend J who had to give it a home the same night ! (Aki this is also an update to my advice thread; we also don't know how old it is anymore; someone said its too small to be eight weeks!! Poor thing. )

Deleted a section; because I am fed up defending an opinion. Apparently no one can have an opinion. > . >

1,866 needed; I signed. <3

Shameless Man-Lover

10,300 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Wish I could double sign O.o

9,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
~ Aki - Fairy ~

i think that gas chambers for dogs and cats, the way they are set up, are alot more stressful than the homemade ones some of us have used for our rodents.

Devoted Raider

8,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
Kanto_Mint

I'll help.

The kitten I have now (Aki Fairy posted in my advice thread) I got off a friend.
I got it off a friend because said friend got it off another person. Who took the kitten from its original owners.

Because the male bought the kitten for girlfriend; who was pregnant but didn't know. Once they found out she was; they sayd they were going to domestically kill the cat. :/ So ___ took it off them; gave it to our friend J who had to give it a home the same night ! (Aki this is also an update to my advice thread; we also don't know how old it is anymore; someone said its too small to be eight weeks!! Poor thing. )

I'm against murdering your own pet; you look after them. When our gunie (spelling) pig was dying my mother stayed up all night by its side, knowing it was dying. She kept him warm, tried to make him eat and drink. Tried everything to save him; even if she knew he was 99% going to die. He died in the morning; my mother couldn't put him in the box; she was too upset. So I had to do it; putting the little dead body (big for his animal) in the box was upsetting enough; he was so cold. You should try and save your pet; or go to a vet. There are pet charities that help with costs and if you can't afford a vet you shouldn't have a pet. :/ Ever since the kitten I've taken this stuff a lot more seriously.

Thank you for calling a few of us murders, though by definition you can only murder humans.

Growing up on a farm there were times we killed our animals, food and companion a like. I would rather put an animal down then sit up and watch the animal go down hill and die. Warrick was passed by the vet... $70 Christmas present from my aunt for my gerbil. I didn't have that much...next time a gerbil of mine gets that bad it is home made gas chamber or something a bit more messy. Currently if ika does something stupid I'm screwed.

Devoted Inquisitor

~ Aki - Fairy ~

It's not humane to throw bunches of frightened animals in together and then kill them slowly. It's just not.
Keyona

In my opinion when you take a creatures life; whatever creature you murder it.
Killing = murder.
EDIT: In my opinion!

My grand-father in law has had to kill animals on his farm; so I find it ironic you assume I do not understand farm life; I do.

One of his sheep was so badly dying with no hope; he had to snap its neck. My grand mother by blood was in the house; she couldn't go out with him; she was too upset. My grand-father who has been working on farms since a child; still gets upset by it. My grand-father even says himself: "Sometimes I have to kill them myself; killing is murder but I do it for kindness."

I have bottle fed a lamb on the farm; a young lamb. It might of lived; it might of died. We couldn't tell. But instead of say "Nah see ya; too much work." We took care of it. I put a blanket on it, I hugged it, I comforted it, I fed it by bottle, we took it into the house. We tried everything for the baby lamb; so that if it did die it died peacefully; if it lived it got to live. It died, but peacefully in its sleep.

^ So; I do understand. Very much so. So I would appreciate you not assuming things about a stranger; it isn't very pleasant.

I have my opinion; you have yours. Were both entitled to it. I signed the petition; and so have others. We are allowed our opinions.

Also farmers are very different from people who just want to get rid of their animals; and this type of thing allows them to do so. There are owners; like my kittens owners who bought it for selfish reasons; only for a day and decided didn't want it due to the girl being pregent. They were going to kill the kitten. For what? It was young, healthy and a whole life ahead. "Domesticly kill it" they said. No; it is murder. They do not have a legit reason to kill it. And those type of people make me sick and need to be stopped. It is horrible how some pet owners just "ditch" their animals for no good reason. Either killing them or leaving them for dead. It is sick. People do it to children and babies too. But the human babies have protection; and so should the animals.

So: there we have it. I did not come here to debate but lend a hand to a cause I believe is worth while. You may debate with me if you wish; but the debate will go nowhere minus wasting our time and energy.

9,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Keyona
Kanto_Mint

I'll help.

I'm against murdering your own pet; you look after them. When our gunie (spelling) pig was dying my mother stayed up all night by its side, knowing it was dying. She kept him warm, tried to make him eat and drink. Tried everything to save him; even if she knew he was 99% going to die. He died in the morning; my mother couldn't put him in the box; she was too upset. So I had to do it; putting the little dead body (big for his animal) in the box was upsetting enough; he was so cold. You should try and save your pet; or go to a vet. There are pet charities that help with costs and if you can't afford a vet you shouldn't have a pet. :/ Ever since the kitten I've taken this stuff a lot more seriously.

Thank you for calling a few of us murders, though by definition you can only murder humans.

Growing up on a farm there were times we killed our animals, food and companion a like. I would rather put an animal down then sit up and watch the animal go down hill and die. Warrick was passed by the vet... $70 Christmas present from my aunt for my gerbil. I didn't have that much...next time a gerbil of mine gets that bad it is home made gas chamber or something a bit more messy. Currently if ika does something stupid I'm screwed.

ive heard that having the vet put down your rodent is something that should be avoided since its so stressfull. did your vet use the needle or did they have a gas chamber? i did a bunch of research before i gassed my rat and my vet used the needs to put down rodents and i kept hearing horror stories from other rat owners about using injections to kill them

Devoted Inquisitor

Kanto_Mint

In my opinion when you take a creatures life; whatever creature you murder it.
Killing = murder.
I find it very strange you could even try to argue otherwise.

Your opinion is wrong.

Murder:
Quote:
noun
Law . the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law. In the U.S., special statutory definitions include murder committed with malice aforethought, characterized by deliberation or premeditation or occurring during the commission of another serious crime, as robbery or arson (first-degree murder), and murder by intent but without deliberation or premeditation (second-degree murder).
Slang . something extremely difficult or perilous: That final exam was murder!
a group or flock of crows.

It is possible to argue that something is wrong (like killing animals) without making up incorrect definitions to words. You weaken your argument by doing so.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff