Welcome to Gaia! ::

High-functioning Garbage

10,275 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
Alright, so I've had my dog for what seems like forever (10 years), and I cannot even remember a time without her. Well, lately things have gotten a little scary. I have discovered a well-sized oddly shaped bump on her stomach by one of her nipples. As normal, I am worried. Could it be cancer? She has gashed this n****e open in the past, so could it be an infection? I will be taking her to the vet soon, but I just wanted to know what you guys think. Thank you for any responses.

UPDATE: She is a miniature toy poodle. Reason why I am stating this is because the poodle breed has been found to have an increase in the likeliness of cancer. She has never been spayed. She has never had a surgery before, and no complications until now. She shows no signs of discomfort, although I am still worried for her well-being.
There's this common thing I can't remember the name for that older dogs an get, but it's totally benign. Just ask the vet!
Our dog is around 7 and he's covered in lumps, but the vet has determined they are just fatty lumps and are pretty much harmless. He has spherical ones and also weirdly shaped ones. The vet had drained one of them before, but it just came back.
Obviously not saying that's it, because it could be a lot of things.

In general, oddly shaped lumps are a red flag, but I hope your dog is like mine and just has issues with where to put his fat (or something).

Tipsy Kitten

Take her to the vet.
Last year I learned the hard way by not taking mine to the vet and ended up having to put him down.

Tipsy Prophet

It could be cancer.
It could also be something else.

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
Is she spayed? Cancer is more common in old age for bitches.

It's likely benign. My 17-year-old pup is covered in them. They don't seem to bother him.
Like others said I'd either give your vet a call, e-mail a photo, or take her in for an exam.

High-functioning Garbage

10,275 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
Tony Reagan Washington
Does your dog ever shake uncontrollably sometimes? Has it gotten bigger?

Only when she is cold (when we take her outside to go to the bathroom in the dead of winter) Other than that, I do not recall. It has grown in size.

High-functioning Garbage

10,275 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
Nymrah
Our dog is around 7 and he's covered in lumps, but the vet has determined they are just fatty lumps and are pretty much harmless. He has spherical ones and also weirdly shaped ones. The vet had drained one of them before, but it just came back.
Obviously not saying that's it, because it could be a lot of things.

In general, oddly shaped lumps are a red flag, but I hope your dog is like mine and just has issues with where to put his fat (or something).

My dog is pretty skinny, so the looks of it isn't good sad

High-functioning Garbage

10,275 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
Toki Bird
Take her to the vet.
Last year I learned the hard way by not taking mine to the vet and ended up having to put him down.

I hope mine doesn't have to be sad

High-functioning Garbage

10,275 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
Memetic Sexgod
It could be cancer.
It could also be something else.

I think it may be breast cancer.

High-functioning Garbage

10,275 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
Kunoichi Pandacat
You should take your pet to the vet if you find any lumps or oddities. Mammary glands are connected by a system of lymph nodes that connect with the other nipples and the rest of the body. If it turns out to be cancer, your dog might need a chain mastectomy - removal of all the mammary glands on one side of the body. This is to prevent cancer from spreading to the rest of the body and harming vital systems. There's also a chance it could be nothing. It could be a benign lump, a fatty deposit, or whatnot, but don't take that chance.

I did see a picture of this not long ago. If it turns out to be cancer, we may turn to that decision. Thank you for your response. I will be taking her in 3 days and we'll hope for the best.

High-functioning Garbage

10,275 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Marathon 300
flauterfli
Is she spayed? Cancer is more common in old age for bitches.

It's likely benign. My 17-year-old pup is covered in them. They don't seem to bother him.
Like others said I'd either give your vet a call, e-mail a photo, or take her in for an exam.

She was never spayed. I hope it isn't anything serious. It could be breast cancer (hope not). It could even be an infection in her duct because she did split the entire n****e open on one side before from scratching due to fleas. It was so bad that the n****e itself was partly off, the other half still attached. There could have been something that got into it as it was healing. I hope that that is why the lump is there. She shows no signs of discomfort.

Tipsy Kitten

A Lovely Memory
Toki Bird
Take her to the vet.

I hope mine doesn't have to be sad

I doubt you will have to.
But it's just something I will never forgive myself.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff