Welcome to Gaia! ::

When it gets a bit warmer out I'm going to have a 2014 musk turtle shipped over from FL. 3nodding

I've taken the time to set up its 20long tank in advance. I hate seeing empty tanks, so I bought six well-matched platys IMO to throw in there with it. I have two gold twinbar platys, two red wags, and what was supposed to be two sunburst mickey mouse platies but only one looks very sunbursty. I also found a snail that must have come off one of the plants so hopefully it mass reproduces and my little turtle has some yummy snacks upon move in.

User Image

The floating plants are dwarf water lettuce, the little fern by the filter is a peacock fern that I got off a friend that I didn't think would really work out but it looks like it's actually settled in pretty well. I'm waiting for some java fern to finish off the waterfall and I'm still considering which bigger background plant I want to put behind the big round rock, next to the end of the driftwood. There's a good spot back there for something decent sized, I just haven't been able to choose.

User Image

All the rocks are rocks I collected a couple years ago when I moved to another state, my family took a road trip with me to get all my stuff and my car out here and I took a rock from each state we drove through. I sanitized them all first obvs.

User Image

User Image

I'm pretty happy with 5/6 of these dwl I bought off ebay for $5. One of them lost its long roots along the way and most of its leaves look wrecked so we'll have to see if it comes back.

Distinct Hunter

8,650 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
The one Sunburst Mickey Mouse Platy that isn't really showing it's color really well may need some blood worms to perk it and give some more color to it. I'm waiting on my baby Sunburst Mickey Mouse Platy to get some more coloration so I can figure out the gender lol. It's a**l fin is clear and the little one just won't stay still. Then again it is enjoying a 36 gallon tank with only two other fish in there for now.

CarapaxtotheMax's Partner

Dapper Sex Symbol

I don't know much about turtle tanks, but I can say that this looks absolutely amazing! What a gorgeous habitat you've created. I hope the little guy settles in well. biggrin
Im Alive_Must Die
The one Sunburst Mickey Mouse Platy that isn't really showing it's color really well may need some blood worms to perk it and give some more color to it.

I just realized I meant one of the twinbars is whiter, not one of the MMs. sweatdrop I'm pretty sure he's the only male I got, but he also looks like he might be the smallest/youngest of them all as well. I'll grab some blood worms and give it a try, the female twinbar is so lovely.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

That's the best pic I could get of them together. xD She's just significantly more saturated, I can very obviously pick him out when they're all together but she blends right in with the sunbursts.

I also found BABIES in my tank this morning!!! I can't tell how many there are, they all seem to be hiding under the flat rocks, but every so often I see one or two scuttle over to the plants then back to the rocks. I think it was one of the MMs, one of them had been hanging around in the back by the rocks for the past couple days and now she looks suspiciously less rotund.

Will the other platys eat them? I guess the turtle will eat them when he gets here if they don't.

o-o_TeaThyme_o-o

Thanks so much! I've never set up a fully aquatic tank before and I'm pretty pleased with how it's coming. I can't wait for the java moss.
Lovely set up, very well thought out and beautiful 3nodding

Distinct Hunter

8,650 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
Rose of Lima
Im Alive_Must Die
The one Sunburst Mickey Mouse Platy that isn't really showing it's color really well may need some blood worms to perk it and give some more color to it.

I just realized I meant one of the twinbars is whiter, not one of the MMs. sweatdrop I'm pretty sure he's the only male I got, but he also looks like he might be the smallest/youngest of them all as well. I'll grab some blood worms and give it a try, the female twinbar is so lovely.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

That's the best pic I could get of them together. xD She's just significantly more saturated, I can very obviously pick him out when they're all together but she blends right in with the sunbursts.

I also found BABIES in my tank this morning!!! I can't tell how many there are, they all seem to be hiding under the flat rocks, but every so often I see one or two scuttle over to the plants then back to the rocks. I think it was one of the MMs, one of them had been hanging around in the back by the rocks for the past couple days and now she looks suspiciously less rotund.

Will the other platys eat them? I guess the turtle will eat them when he gets here if they don't.

o-o_TeaThyme_o-o

Thanks so much! I've never set up a fully aquatic tank before and I'm pretty pleased with how it's coming. I can't wait for the java moss.

Unless you get them into a breeder net then yes they will get eaten but they seem to have enough hiding spots for many of them to survive. Yes, yes plenty of little snacks for your soon to be turtle smile

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
oh wow! i love that set up! what kind of filter are you using? ive heard that turtle are ver ydirty so i am curious.

love those platties btw. ive enver been able to keep them alive idk why. neither me nor my mom have been bale to keep them sucessfully. till now. ive had my six for almost two months. ive had two batches of babies and have...like 30 from them now. way more than i thought i would have.

anwyay. gettign off toipic. love that setup. its amazing! definitely show pics when you get the java moss. it is kinda lacking in color. but once you get it fully set up its goinng to be amazing!!
lividdarkangel800
oh wow! i love that set up! what kind of filter are you using? ive heard that turtle are ver ydirty so i am curious.

It's a 20i whisper in maybe 10gal of water. The turtles are 2014 babies so it'll be small + the platys and snails and layer of water lettuce will help out. I saw a tiny baby snail yesterday! & three platy fry out at the same time, yaaay survivors!

Speaking of the DWL, this stuff grows crazy fast! It took a couple days to adjust to my water, which is really hard, a couple of them shed roots and lost a few leaves but they've already bounced back and started sending out multiple little baby plants which already have roots that are like an inch and a half long! I switched to a Floramax plant growth light too, it casts a pinkish glow that makes the platys look great.

User Image

I did a little rearranging today, I'm trying to keep the roots untangled but I want them to grow thick and wild along the driftwood and out in the open area. I also took some tops from a few ludwigia and banded them together, I'm going to try to get it to grow as a little bush in that spot.

User Image

Java moss should be here next week, and I still don't know which marginal plant to throw in the back.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Rose of Lima
lividdarkangel800

It's a 20i whisper in maybe 10gal of water. The turtles are 2014 babies so it'll be small + the platys and snails and layer of water lettuce will help out. I saw a tiny baby snail yesterday! & three platy fry out at the same time, yaaay survivors!

Speaking of the DWL, this stuff grows crazy fast! It took a couple days to adjust to my water, which is really hard, a couple of them shed roots and lost a few leaves but they've already bounced back and started sending out multiple little baby plants which already have roots that are like an inch and a half long! I switched to a Floramax plant growth light too, it casts a pinkish glow that makes the platys look great.

User Image

I did a little rearranging today, I'm trying to keep the roots untangled but I want them to grow thick and wild along the driftwood and out in the open area. I also took some tops from a few ludwigia and banded them together, I'm going to try to get it to grow as a little bush in that spot.

User Image

Java moss should be here next week, and I still don't know which marginal plant to throw in the back.

oh sweet. that should work well then. how will the platties help with the water? and id watch those snails, they can get super out of hand super fast.
lividdarkangel800
how will the platties help with the water? and id watch those snails, they can get super out of hand super fast.

Eating scraps? My six seem insatiable, they've never left a single pellet on the bottom.

Yeah all the sudden there are like eight baby snails lmao... the turtle will be thrilled.

Shy Dragon

24,065 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Rose of Lima
lividdarkangel800
how will the platties help with the water? and id watch those snails, they can get super out of hand super fast.

Eating scraps? My six seem insatiable, they've never left a single pellet on the bottom.

Yeah all the sudden there are like eight baby snails lmao... the turtle will be thrilled.

ok i get what you mean. mine are too ^.^

and yeah i had to get a snail trap to get rid of all mine..luckily i have a goldfish , so he has feasted well the past couple weeks with all the snails ans dead shoots of elodea i have put in his bowl. i rarely have to feed him cuz of all the stuff i give him. he is my adorable dumpster lol
I really don't know how I feel about this java moss. I used a lot less than I bought, threw the rest in the 10g I'm setting up for shrimp for the turtle. It's just dull and....mossy I guess. I really need a good bright marginal plant but I seriously can't pick one I like that stays small enough. :/

User Image

The little ludwigia bush is doing well though, it turned itself towards the light and grew a little in the past few days. I really like how it looks there so I hope it lives.

User Image

and my three little fishies that survived now seem to be big enough that they think they wont get eaten because they're out in the open much more now.

User Image

There's two there, I think the third is a little smaller because I only see it occasionally, it still hides a lot in the rocks.

User Image

bad pic but that's the biggest of the three, it's the only one that has pattern beginning to show, two small little black tail stripes! It's so cute!! 4laugh
My java moss is greening up lmao I don't know why I didn't think it would. I also found another survivor in my tank!! Four out all at once. And my super pregnant female Twinbar looks like she's gonna explode any second so hopefully there will be more soon. :3

User Image

There are four little mystery sprouts in my java moss!! I wonder what it is.
User Image

Does anyone know what kind of snail these are? I like them much more than the plain black ones! No idea where they came from but there's suddenly a lot of them too lmao. I should order the turtle soon, I just want to give the plants a little more time to grow in and get the marginals (WHICH I FINALLY DECIDED WILL BE AQUATIC FORGET ME NOTS!).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff