Welcome to Gaia! ::

Distinct Citizen

Hello everyone.
I would like to first say I am not here to give false impressions of a country, however I do live in a country town in South Korea.
And no, this is not about eating the dog...
Anyway. I often go for long bike rides to find new places to explore. This past weekend I found this tiny little village next to a factory. It had some beautiful art works painted all over the buildings and hard working farmers there.
User Image
However I ran into this dog...
It is common for large dogs to be outdoor and tied up to their dog house with little room for exercise. However this was a Cocker Spaniel. I fell in love with this dog instantly due to his happy attitude and excitement to see me. However it broke my heart at the same time. The dog is shaved down excepted for his ears which are all matted and heavy. He has black spots all over his face, maybe bugs or dirt. His living condition looked horrible and he looked way to thin.
User Image
I do not think there are many animal rights people in Korea. And I can not take the dog myself because I travel to often. I am not sure what to do in this situation. I feed him a sandwich I had packed for lunch, and I plan to visit him again next week when I have time. (This place is an hour away by bike). Any suggestions?
The poor guy. sad In this situation, I think the best thing to do is to contact Peta. I know they have people/advocates in your area that help with rescues all the time.

Eloquent Gawker

SHD
The poor guy. sad In this situation, I think the best thing to do is to contact Peta. I know they have people/advocates in your area that help with rescues all the time.

Why, so PETA can take the dog and kill it? Because that's what they do. Over 80% of animals they "rescue" they euthanize. PETA is never, ever the answer.

CarapaxtotheMax's Partner

Dapper Sex Symbol

I agree with Savage, PETA is flipping useless and horrible and would probably just take the dog and euthanize it.

Are there absolutely no rescue organizations of any sort in South Korea? Or do you know anyone who might be interested in taking him in? I would run a google search for dog rescue or something similar. It should show results in your country, and perhaps you can contact someone from there.
Savage Destiny
SHD

Why, so PETA can take the dog and kill it? Because that's what they do. Over 80% of animals they "rescue" they euthanize. PETA is never, ever the answer.

I didn't know that. Sorry.

Green Smoker

I can't understand why anyone would keep an animal captive & just neglect it like that. Poor dog looks like it's starving & that is not adequate shelter. It's heartbreaking. No living creature should have to live out their life on the end of a rusted chain. Poor dog looks like it is living a life of hunger, squalor, & loneliness. Do you know anyone kind enough to want to re-home the dog? Perhaps asking around as to who the dog belongs to is a good start.

Distinct Citizen

Something big I forgot to mention was I am a foreign in Korea and my ability to communicate is limited. I went back to the village it feed the dog on Friday and realized its full of a ton of older people. 70 or older all hunched over. Anyway the dog was happy to see me but cried this time when I left. I might try to keep the dog myself. But I also cannot go around saving all the dogs in Korea.

Anxious Seeker

Why not ask them to trim the mat? Maybe they are too old to go that far, ya'know? Get a buddy and clip it, I don't know if you can find a portable clipper set, but I'd vouch that if you can't keep it! smile

4,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
peta euthanizes? I thought they were against animals being killed.....

It seems like you are the only person in that area who cares for the dog. You would have to put him first if you wanted to save him.

Feline Bookworm

Do you know who the dog belongs to?
I have a Cocker Spaniel myself so this is really horrible to see. sad
Personally I would try to take the dog in myself or find a family or friend to take it in.
Anything must be better than the current condition it's in.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
abby_lovely

It seems like you are the only person in that area who cares for the dog. You would have to put him first if you wanted to save him.

Peta is only against killing when ita not them doing the killing. They euth most of the animals they save instead of trying to find new homes for them

The only thing peta is good for is low cost spay and neutering

4,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
Shanna66
abby_lovely

Peta is only against killing when ita not them doing the killing. They euth most of the animals they save instead of trying to find new homes for them

The only thing peta is good for is low cost spay and neutering

That seems very hypocritical and horrifying! Oh my gosh, I had no idea.

Sugary Elder

poor thing oh gosh he sounds so sweet

sadly the best thing you can do is maybe ask around your home town if anyone is interested in taking in a dog.

does he have owners? who tied him up? if he has owners there might not be anything you can do besides looking on the internet if your country has any animal shelters that you could contact or if there are even any animal cruelty laws. unless you can convince the owners to give up the dog to someone else who is interested in taking care of him.

thats a very sticky situation. its going to take some research to figure out the best thing to do. i truly believe you have the dogs best interest in your mind. good luck and i hope it works out.

Distinct Citizen

Update. Talking to some of the foreigners in my town I found that one person knows somebody (foreign) who volunteers at an animal shelter. I sent him a message last night and waiting to hear a response from him. Hopefuly he will have somegood news.
Savage Destiny
SHD
The poor guy. sad In this situation, I think the bes t thing to do is to contact Peta. I know they have people/advocates in your area that help with rescues all the time.

agreed. unless you want it to die faster, and if so, I hope you die faster.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff