Welcome to Gaia! ::

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
Back to square one with my cat thanks to my gma. She shoved all of Freyjas toys in my room today and told me they are NOT by ANY MEANS allowed in the living room. Whatsoever. The living room is where the family tends to spend their time.

She has those toys for a very specific reason: AGRESSION. Positve outlets for a very stressed out feline. She has hidey holes, interactive, solo...they are all jammed packed into my tiny room. All of them. (I have to clean now as they got thrown about in a very slap dash fashion.)

Thank god I recently trimmed her claws or else I wouldnt have much of my arm left. (Which she still uses her teeth and her back claws rather effectivly). All I did was sit beside her about a foot away. No warning, no cat signs of impending attack: Redirected agression due to a tremedous amount of stress she gets from being around my gma. (As a side note: I was told I had to move out. Not because of somthing I did, not because of the cat, because my gma has a branched stick up her arse...so Im looking for somthing ASAP as they informed me I dont have a car fund...its a move out fund...so I get the joys of moving out without a vehicle....)

So I need some off the wall ideas to help agression in a cat who is NOT ALLOWED a stimulated enviroment, who gets played with constantly, and is well loved by all. (She has Feliway, but that too is in my room.)

8,000 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
My suggestion would be to fine a place QUICK so you can get her in her own environment, and you can feel comfortable in a place of your own as well.

In the mean time, perhaps claw caps and alot of play time? Maybe if you keep her tired, it won't be such of an issue. If your granny is ever away, drag one of them out?
Can you at least leave the bedroom door open so she can be in comfort?

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
Lady Fugitivus
My suggestion would be to fine a place QUICK so you can get her in her own environment, and you can feel comfortable in a place of your own as well.

In the mean time, perhaps claw caps and alot of play time? Maybe if you keep her tired, it won't be such of an issue. If your granny is ever away, drag one of them out?
Can you at least leave the bedroom door open so she can be in comfort?
Were working on it. I have 750$ saved up, docked my spending to the minimal and was informed yesterday I had until dec. (seriously...) Ideally, I know it would solve alot of the issue.

She gets played with a good 3 hours a day when Im home. My gpa will play with her when hes home. We play before bed, we play after dinner, we play fetch throughout the night, shes always gogogogogogogogogogo. At a year old. gonk

I might have to do soft caps as a temp measure but I can barely get her to sit still long enough to trim them (it usually involves scruffing her to do it...) And I did ask to set some stuff out there (the non trip hazard ones...because they were TOTALLY out where someone could step on them) and I just have to remove them in the morning. My door is always open to her coming and going, she just wants to be where everyone else is.

And its the equivalancy of taking everything in your house and stuffing it into one room. And leaving the house empty. And my gmas got some bad vibes. She stresses me out just being in the same room. My poor cat. crying

Devoted Inquisitor

Play with her in your room?

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
Latrans
We do. Constantly. sad Usually late into the night. Usually shed trek out there for her treat ball and crazy circle with the crazy whirly lights. Or stuff her mice continuously under the couch.

I know where the underlying cause is of the agression and I really cant get rid of my gma. Im trying to find a place to live close to work (as I wont have a car) just to keep my cat happy and me sane and in one piece.

Ive had my gma read behavioral books on cats and it still didnt click as to why Freyja enjoys tearing up the furniture.

Devoted Raider

8,550 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
  • Friendly 100
I know you say you have a tiny room, but is it a possibility to have her live in your room? this is what my friend does with her cat Tsuki becuse her housemate/landlord is really allergic to cats.

Ika lived in a bathroom for 3 months, with Tsuki. And considering at what point she was at, it didn't harm her any, and i actually got more interaction with her.

Devoted Inquisitor

Punkin Avis
Latrans
We do. Constantly. sad Usually late into the night. Usually shed trek out there for her treat ball and crazy circle with the crazy whirly lights. Or stuff her mice continuously under the couch.

I know where the underlying cause is of the agression and I really cant get rid of my gma. Im trying to find a place to live close to work (as I wont have a car) just to keep my cat happy and me sane and in one piece.

Ive had my gma read behavioral books on cats and it still didnt click as to why Freyja enjoys tearing up the furniture.

I can understand why someone wouldn't want cat toys all over their house; Elsie's my dog and her crap all over drives me nuts sometimes. :[ It sounds like it'd be best if you could move out.

Have you looked at clicker training/learning theory books? Admittedly, I've never dealt with aggression in a cat, but you can use clicker training/learning theory to change animals' emotional reactions to stuff. And with dogs, exercising them into behaving is rarely a good idea.

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
Latrans

I can understand why someone wouldn't want cat toys all over their house; Elsie's my dog and her crap all over drives me nuts sometimes. :[ It sounds like it'd be best if you could move out.

Have you looked at clicker training/learning theory books? Admittedly, I've never dealt with aggression in a cat, but you can use clicker training/learning theory to change animals' emotional reactions to stuff. And with dogs, exercising them into behaving is rarely a good idea.
I did keep her little stuff picked up and made sure that it was out of the way. I like to keep it out if Im at work, because she tends to be off the walls if shes been bored all day. And Im working on the moving out. Need funds and a decent place. (900$ for a 1 bedroom is not an option. I dont make enough)

I have looked into clicker training and she didnt take well to it. She stole the pen I was using. And hid it. She picks up easily on tricks, loves to please me, and listens to an extent. And we dont excersize to solve behavior. smile We wear each other out so we both sleep through the night.

Dealing with cat agression is trying to find out where its coming from, and eliminate it. If you cant eliminate, redirect it. (to an object of your choosing.) Which I do when I see her getting angsty. What I dont get is me sitting next to her or walking by her and then random claw up the arm, leg, feet, chest. Shes a spit fire and shes one of those cats that belong in a one cat household (she is) without kids (she is) and with a calm soothing enviroment (which she doesnt have despite my efforts). I have talked to my gma (who started this all off with swatting at her) and my gma doesnt get it.

So we have to move, because its unhealthy for me and the cat to stay her longer than we have to.

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
Keyona
I know you say you have a tiny room, but is it a possibility to have her live in your room? this is what my friend does with her cat Tsuki becuse her housemate/landlord is really allergic to cats.

Ika lived in a bathroom for 3 months, with Tsuki. And considering at what point she was at, it didn't harm her any, and i actually got more interaction with her.
Well...my room is ALSO the computer room. People come and go frequently. I cant keep the door closed. And there is litterally no room for a litter box in here. sad (its also a storage room, tax room, and my designated sleeping area).

She tends to be this way when 1: shes had a rough day (my gma reorginized the house and took all of her toys away) 2: shes in the same room as her. Bad vibes from a lady who tolerates her only barely.

And just goes to show, she reorganized all my gpas books while he was at work too and threw them all into boxes. So while I clean my room, he gets to reorganize his book shelf. Hes not happy with her either.
You're looking for people looking for a roommate as well, since renting alone isn't really an option? (and checking stuff like basement suites and such)
Are there any post-secondary (college, university, etc..) institutions in your town/city? If so, advertise through such venues that you're looking for a (cat-friendly) place. Now's about the time that first term drop-outs would be packed up and gone and people looking for new roomies.

In the meantime - remember that the more stressed out you are, the more stressed out Freyja will be. Take your time on your way home from work, take five deep breaths before you go inside; during at-home time, when the stress gets to be too much, go outside for five minutes/take a walk around the block to gather, sort, solutionize, etc... and set it aside before you go back inside to be near Freyja (I find writing s**t down helps quite well normally, personally, because it gives me that clear-cut visual and a plan of attack - if it works for you, as well, try to keep a notebook and pen near the door/outside somewhere)

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
~ Aki - Fairy ~
You're looking for people looking for a roommate as well, since renting alone isn't really an option? (and checking stuff like basement suites and such)
Are there any post-secondary (college, university, etc..) institutions in your town/city? If so, advertise through such venues that you're looking for a (cat-friendly) place. Now's about the time that first term drop-outs would be packed up and gone and people looking for new roomies.

In the meantime - remember that the more stressed out you are, the more stressed out Freyja will be. Take your time on your way home from work, take five deep breaths before you go inside; during at-home time, when the stress gets to be too much, go outside for five minutes/take a walk around the block to gather, sort, solutionize, etc... and set it aside before you go back inside to be near Freyja (I find writing s**t down helps quite well normally, personally, because it gives me that clear-cut visual and a plan of attack - if it works for you, as well, try to keep a notebook and pen near the door/outside somewhere)
Well.....Not roomie exactly. Im not in college (I work full time and never went to college. gonk ) and the only reason I moved in here was because I had to move in a hurry. (my fiance moved back in with his parents they told me no cat so here I am living with an OCD non cat freindly grandmother.) And the place that we get has to be close to my work (within walking distance preferably) which theres alot of apts but its INSANELY priced. gonk Were looking hopefully for a duplex because we did the apt thing and after we had our vehicles broken into and rowdy teenaged neighbors, its not worth it.

I try to leave the stress at work and smile when I come in the door. No matter how angsty or upset I am, I take a deep breath, smile love in her direction and pet her gently. The agression is totally related to where my gma is in the house and what went on during the day. (My gma happened to be in the living room when she attacked me.) I work full time so Im not here 24/7 to keep her occupied all the time. Shes happy with all the window perches and all that I provided for her but when my gma gets stressed she takes it out on the only creature in the house~my cat. Its not fair to Freyja and its not fair to me. Because I suffer for her stupidity. Im the only one she mauls (thank goodness, I can tolerate it) and I dont yell at her. I get up and walk away and let her calm down.
Punkin Avis
Well.....Not roomie exactly. Im not in college (I work full time and never went to college. gonk ) and the only reason I moved in here was because I had to move in a hurry. (my fiance moved back in with his parents they told me no cat so here I am living with an OCD non cat freindly grandmother.) And the place that we get has to be close to my work (within walking distance preferably) which theres alot of apts but its INSANELY priced. gonk Were looking hopefully for a duplex because we did the apt thing and after we had our vehicles broken into and rowdy teenaged neighbors, its not worth it.

I try to leave the stress at work and smile when I come in the door. No matter how angsty or upset I am, I take a deep breath, smile love in her direction and pet her gently. The agression is totally related to where my gma is in the house and what went on during the day. (My gma happened to be in the living room when she attacked me.) I work full time so Im not here 24/7 to keep her occupied all the time. Shes happy with all the window perches and all that I provided for her but when my gma gets stressed she takes it out on the only creature in the house~my cat. Its not fair to Freyja and its not fair to me. Because I suffer for her stupidity. Im the only one she mauls (thank goodness, I can tolerate it) and I dont yell at her. I get up and walk away and let her calm down.

Doesn't matter that you're not in college, you could still look around for somebody who is, who's in need of a new roommate (even if just as a temporary situation); or you could advertise that you'll have a place and be looking for a roommate (in a month or so), since if you have that guarantee of an extra contribution towards the rent you can consider something a bit larger.
Unless you have a garage/guarded parking area (added expense, is it really worth it), vehicular break in is always a risk so long as they're outside.
Tri/four-plexes may be cheaper than duplexes, as well, since the space is split up more.
And perhaps talk to you grandfather (since he sounds more reasonable/co-operative) to see if there's any room in the house that your grandmother very rarely goes in that you could make into "Freyja's space" for the time being.

Chatty Cat

12,000 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Team Edward 100
~ Aki - Fairy ~

Doesn't matter that you're not in college, you could still look around for somebody who is, who's in need of a new roommate (even if just as a temporary situation); or you could advertise that you'll have a place and be looking for a roommate (in a month or so), since if you have that guarantee of an extra contribution towards the rent you can consider something a bit larger.
Unless you have a garage/guarded parking area (added expense, is it really worth it), vehicular break in is always a risk so long as they're outside.
Tri/four-plexes may be cheaper than duplexes, as well, since the space is split up more.
And perhaps talk to you grandfather (since he sounds more reasonable/co-operative) to see if there's any room in the house that your grandmother very rarely goes in that you could make into "Freyja's space" for the time being.
well...the closest community college is across the water and a 30 min drive from work. My fiance and I are looking back into getting our own place again (he had some stuff to pay off, and hes working construction, which is very random but pays well) and I dont think I could do room mates. If my fiance is working, it should be easy but we want to find a place that is affordable enough for us if hes out of work for a few weeks. sad The last 8 months have been hell having to live with relitives. I perfer to live with him (we were for a few years) and it helps my social anxiety. That and Im a total slob and live in my pjs and am not the easiest to get along with. Room mates would hate me. (And really were looking into anything below 800$, which theres nice houses for rent but not within walking distance to work.)

The only rooms that have doors is my room, the quilting/sewing room and the master bedroom. Its a very open airy house with tons of windows. The library has no door and her big cat tree has been in there since we got here. Ive abided by their rules, but its still not ideal for the cat. (if my gma had a choice, the litterbox would be out of sight). Shes generally well behaved and is a good girl, but my gma might just boot her outside one of these days. We live in cyote country.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff