• Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
I'm sorry for making so many posts.
But I have finally decided.
And I will keep to my decision.
I will buy a frilled dragon.
I have looked into them quite a bit.
I believe having a frilled dragon may be easier than keeping a gecko, because I can more easily achieve a dragon's heating requirements.
Also my gf ******** hates lizards and this is the only lizard she's ever liked and it'd be nice to have pets we both enjoy.
I mean I like cats but reptiles are my heart.
I especially love BEARDED DRAGONS but I have been told I am not allowed to have anymore... My dad gets too attached to them and too sad when they depart. I've had two, one of which died of old age and the other which was fairly old, but we're not sure if it was age. Either way, she died when I was gone...
The sizes are similar and I do like larger lizards. But not huge lizards. Beardie sized lizards. Frilled dragons remind me, appearance wise, of a less spiky beardy with a frill.
ANYWAY.
I hear they do not like to be handled, but they can be tamed and be taught to be handled.
I was wondering if there were any good tips on how to tame them?
Also just out of curiosity is it possible to walk them on harnesses. I'm betting no, but it's a curiosity.
Please don't be like DO NOT WALK THEM ON A HARNESS WOW YOU ARE DUMB I'm just curious. It'd be kinda cool but it's cool if they can't too.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
the tank you showed pictures of is WAY too small for a frilled dragon. just something to keep in mind. they need iguana sized enclosures.

having said that they are one of my favorites and i have plans to get one someday. if you get them as babies and handle them everyday and treat them well then you may have a friendly lizard who would love to go outside on a leash. otherwise they are kind of shy of people and can be a little nippy

they have very similar care to water dragons

also no, a frilled is not going to be easier than a gecko. the geckos you were wondering about are considered starter lizards for a reason. a frilled is not

not trying to talk you out of them. i adore them and think they can make great pets. just letting you know they can be tough reptiles to keep

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
Shanna66
the tank you showed pictures of is WAY too small for a frilled dragon. just something to keep in mind. they need iguana sized enclosures.

having said that they are one of my favorites and i have plans to get one someday. if you get them as babies and handle them everyday and treat them well then you may have a friendly lizard who would love to go outside on a leash. otherwise they are kind of shy of people and can be a little nippy

they have very similar care to water dragons

also no, a frilled is not going to be easier than a gecko. the geckos you were wondering about are considered starter lizards for a reason. a frilled is not

not trying to talk you out of them. i adore them and think they can make great pets. just letting you know they can be tough reptiles to keep

I know they're not quite as easy to keep, but I have a lot of trouble with heat. My problem is, if I would have gotten a gecko, I'm not sure if I would've been able to keep the room cool enough.
In the winter the room is also generally warm, but I can put a heater in there to help warm it up.
I know they need large enclosures, but I plan to use it until it gets bigger.
Thank you for the advice though. I will be sure to get a youngin.

CarapaxtotheMax's Partner

Dapper Sex Symbol

I would look here before getting a frilled lizard: http://www.thefrilleddragon.com/forum.php

In my opinion, forums are a really wonderful way to get a better understanding of both beginning and long term care for some of these less common pets (or any pets in general). It sounds like you're a little unclear of all of the setup required for them, so I think this place should give you a better basis before bringing your new pet home. I would also guess you'd need to go through a breeder to even find one? This forum has a specific area for the sale of dragons so maybe that can help. Good luck!

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
o-o_TeaThyme_o-o
I would look here before getting a frilled lizard: http://www.thefrilleddragon.com/forum.php

In my opinion, forums are a really wonderful way to get a better understanding of both beginning and long term care for some of these less common pets (or any pets in general). It sounds like you're a little unclear of all of the setup required for them, so I think this place should give you a better basis before bringing your new pet home. I would also guess you'd need to go through a breeder to even find one? This forum has a specific area for the sale of dragons so maybe that can help. Good luck!

Thank you, yes, I signed up there and am asking some of the basics I don't understand.
I do know I am going to have to get a new cage for the thing eventually.
I know where to buy them.
There's a shop that sells fairly rare animals (in the pet trade anyway) (like frilled dragons,American alligators, sharks, and barracudas and a 100 other animals that I'm like wat)
They've got some in, currently. I don't plan to buy one RIGHT NOW, but they do carry them. And I've seen them in there before, a few times when I've been in there.

Dapper Sex Symbol

CAST1EL
o-o_TeaThyme_o-o

Thank you, yes, I signed up there and am asking some of the basics I don't understand.
There's a shop that sells fairly rare animals (in the pet trade anyway) (like frilled dragons,American alligators, sharks, and barracudas and a 100 other animals that I'm like wat)
They've got some in, currently. I don't plan to buy one RIGHT NOW, but they do carry them. And I've seen them in there before, a few times when I've been in there.

Yeah, it looks like their adult set-ups are very elaborate. Do you think you'll have the room/resources to supply that when the time comes? Just something to think about with animals like these that need a lot of space and higher humidity to stay healthy.
And that's good that you have a shop you can go to. They probably have connections with breeders that give them a supply of their dragons, so I'm sure there'd be some later when you're ready for one.

Malevolent Firestarter

12,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
o-o_TeaThyme_o-o
CAST1EL
o-o_TeaThyme_o-o

Yeah, it looks like their adult set-ups are very elaborate. Do you think you'll have the room/resources to supply that when the time comes? Just something to think about with animals like these that need a lot of space and higher humidity to stay healthy.
And that's good that you have a shop you can go to. They probably have connections with breeders that give them a supply of their dragons, so I'm sure there'd be some later when you're ready for one.

I found the required measurements for their adult setups and measured a spot in the room that is generally warm and there are various places I could put their adult setups.
I even measured another room to make sure I had room there if need be and, as I thought, I do.
I've asked questions about foggers and waterfalls on the frilled dragon site, and which products or which brands I should buy, and which are best; foggers or waterfalls.
I've asked their main source of water and their max humidity temps.
I've asked about the best substrate.
It is these things that elude me. I seem to be getting mixed messages about it on google.
I do, indeed, I think, have the resources for this. At current I have a spare $5000, which I do not think I will need to spend right away, at current. But I can always put some money away and start saving.
I get $740 a month. $300-400 of it goes to various things, including food, utility, rent, animal supplies...
I spend $60 every 3 months on mice, for my snakes.
This leaves money left over which I do not necessarily need to spend.
If I don't have any emergencies or anything, which I doubt I will, I should have quite an excess saved up, with enough money to spare for unforeseen vet expenses and by the time it's large enough to need a new cage, I'm quite confident I will have the money for it.
Of course, I will need to take some money out for food for the dragon, but even still I am quite confident I will be able to afford a bigger cage when the time comes. Well, also, of course substrate, and required cage decor and lights and such, but I am more talking about the things I spend monthly.

Dapper Sex Symbol

CAST1EL
o-o_TeaThyme_o-o
CAST1EL
o-o_TeaThyme_o-o

I found the required measurements for their adult setups and measured a spot in the room that is generally warm and there are various places I could put their adult setups.
I even measured another room to make sure I had room there if need be and, as I thought, I do.
I've asked questions about foggers and waterfalls on the frilled dragon site, and which products or which brands I should buy, and which are best; foggers or waterfalls.
I've asked their main source of water and their max humidity temps.
I've asked about the best substrate.
It is these things that elude me. I seem to be getting mixed messages about it on google.
I do, indeed, I think, have the resources for this. At current I have a spare $5000, which I do not think I will need to spend right away, at current. But I can always put some money away and start saving.
I get $740 a month. $300-400 of it goes to various things, including food, utility, rent, animal supplies...
I spend $60 every 3 months on mice, for my snakes.
This leaves money left over which I do not necessarily need to spend.
If I don't have any emergencies or anything, which I doubt I will, I should have quite an excess saved up, with enough money to spare for unforeseen vet expenses and by the time it's large enough to need a new cage, I'm quite confident I will have the money for it.
Of course, I will need to take some money out for food for the dragon, but even still I am quite confident I will be able to afford a bigger cage when the time comes. Well, also, of course substrate, and required cage decor and lights and such, but I am more talking about the things I spend monthly.

Good! I like to hear this. smile It looks like you're really getting prepared, so I think you can handle this. I hope people get back to your answers soon. I saw both waterfalls and foggers being used in the example set-ups some had posted on there, so it might just be an aesthetic thing. Either way, good luck!

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
You have no idea how happy I am that you are planning this out so well
We can have pets in the game??

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
Justificator
We can have pets in the game??