Welcome to Gaia! ::

Celebrating Reveler

Hello everyone~

Me and my boyfriend have just moved into a new apartment, we've been living here about 3 months now. We really want to get a cat, but my concern is that we might not be able to afford its shots. I think that if we can't afford that, we shouldn't get a cat. My boyfriend thinks that since it would just be an indoor cat, it should be fine.

So, my question is this! Do indoor cats need shots like an outdoor cat would?

Please tell me what you think, and also feel free to show off and post pictures of your own cats. heart

Feral Lunatic

6,950 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
Adopting a cat from a shelter may help. They are typically UTD with their shots and spayed/ neutered. This would give you time to save for future medical expense.

Maybe you both could put $10-$20 each paycheck into a 'kitty emergency' fund? This would make sure you have money and helps with budgeting.
I don't do yearly shots for either my dogs or cats, but all have had thier puppy/kitten shots or rabies to stay legal.

That saaiidd, if yearly shots are to expensive then a cat is to expensive. smile A proper diet, toys, stimulation items (cat trees etc), scratching posts, and just surprise emergency bills.

I'd work on buying things you'll need (good food, cat trees, toys, stratchers, grooming supplies, feed bowls, water fountain, what ever else) then set aside an E-fund then adopt a cat. smile

Celestial Dog

I'd recommend not getting a cat unless you're absolutely certain you'll be able to care for it properly. Shots and other such medical costs are an important part of proper care.

Yes, you should vaccinate a cat even if it's going to be indoor (as it should be). Indoor or not a cat should be vaccinated just in case something happens (gets outside, some small animal that carries rabies gets inside and your cat catches it, etc.)
Not only that, but this is an annual cost. It's not like dogs who typically get a three-year vaccination. Cat rabies vaccinations are an every year thing.

Check around your local pet stores. A few of the big name chains have affordable vaccination clinics that come in regularly and allow you to walk in and get a pet their shots without paying for a full vet visit (however, you should of course still be taking it to the vet regularly for checkups and other matters)

Caring for a cat properly means being able to give it what it needs without second guessing if you can afford it and trying to skimp out on things you'll 'probably be fine' without. Shots are just a minor factor in the cost of owning a cat. You need proper food (meaning not cheap kibble you buy at a grocery store), a constant supply of litter, and other things to help stimulate its mind and keep it active.

Celebrating Reveler

Great advice everyone, thank you!
I'll be sure to show my Mr. Squishy this 3nodding

Devoted Inquisitor

Yeah, if shots are a concern, the cat's too expensive. Even indoor-only cats can have $500 medical emergencies--easily. My sister's cats have done things like eat a centipede, eat a spool of ribbon, get a UTI... those things cost hundreds to treat. :[

Dangerous Lunatic

8,975 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Brandisher 100
Don't. Just don't do it. It's not fair to the cat, and it's not fair to you, or to whoever has to deal with the cat if you guys decide that you'd rather spend money on something besides your cat and dump it.
I may be just a tad judgmental about people getting pets they can't afford after having to deal with my roommates doing just that, then deciding to get rid of them when things like drinking, smoking, and going to movies were more important than the whopping $70 it cost me to get their dog his shots before I found him a new home...

Celebrating Reveler

Payton Leeroy
Don't. Just don't do it. It's not fair to the cat, and it's not fair to you, or to whoever has to deal with the cat if you guys decide that you'd rather spend money on something besides your cat and dump it.
I may be just a tad judgmental about people getting pets they can't afford after having to deal with my roommates doing just that, then deciding to get rid of them when things like drinking, smoking, and going to movies were more important than the whopping $70 it cost me to get their dog his shots before I found him a new home...

I agree completely.
And your roommates sound like shitty people, I can't blame you. Poor dog.

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
all my cats are indoor and only go outside on leashes. i only do the rabies vaccine on them since by law i need to. i may do more shots for gale when its time to update her since she actually goes places with me

the only animal i give all shots to is my dog since she always shoves her face in my work clothes before i can put them in the washer and i sometimes work with very sick animals

Hygienic Bloodsucker

6,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Over Easy 100
  • Hygienic 200
Always vaccinate. Even when its an indoor animal, there's always that chance. Plus they can still have accidents, and trust me, those accidents can get pricey.

If you can't afford it, I wouldn't get it. Any indoor animal needs as much as an outdoor one, so expenses count on that stuff.

Sparkly Nerd

28,925 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Brandisher 100
I only do rabies every year for my cat (because of legality and all that jazz, plus she goes out on her leash for walks).

Monthly she only costs about $15-20 (USD). Yearly she's about $300-500 total [food, litter, toys, treats, emergency vet visits].
She has this habit of getting sick at least once a year; last time it was either a UTI or FLUTD, I had to pay ~$150 to treat for both since she didn't have any urine in her bladder to test. (and my vet is on the cheaper end, because they give me a [10-20%] discount for my family having gone there for 20+/- years

Then I have to add in the cost of new toys (she destroys her "Da Bird" ends even during supervised play) and the occasional bag of treats. (Thus the high end of $500).

You really want to have an Emergency Fund after the initial costs (my initials were around $350).
I've had to eat ramen (you know, the icky 5packs/$1 stuff) for a month just to make sure I could pay my vet for the care my girl has received (and he does payment plans, which most vets don't do).

I may pay ~$30 for an 11lb bag of food (I feed BB Wilderness), but that one bag lasts at least 4 months.
Litter is $10/month. (I use clay because she refuses to use anything else)
Toys may come out to $2/month.
Treats are about $1/month (she doesn't get treats often, maybe once a week).

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff