Welcome to Gaia! ::

DizzySnowFire
Aerobe
DizzySnowFire
Aerobe
DizzySnowFire
What if I'm getting a rescue that's like 3 years old?
My mothers was trained at 4 years old.
It can be done.

should I use this? or this?

Canine Assistants doesn't take your dog and train - they provide trained dogs.
CPT does take your dog and train them - or they do classes.

So I'd say CPT if they're going to be in your area.

It sounds like also Canine Assistant will take longer.
Well I'm pretty sure I live close to one of the areas but can it still qualify as an SD?
Any dog can be an SD as long as it's trained to be such.

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Aerobe
DizzySnowFire
Aerobe
DizzySnowFire
Aerobe
DizzySnowFire
What if I'm getting a rescue that's like 3 years old?
My mothers was trained at 4 years old.
It can be done.

should I use this? or this?

Canine Assistants doesn't take your dog and train - they provide trained dogs.
CPT does take your dog and train them - or they do classes.

So I'd say CPT if they're going to be in your area.

It sounds like also Canine Assistant will take longer.
Well I'm pretty sure I live close to one of the areas but can it still qualify as an SD?

Would I have to probably buy one of those vest to put on my dog so I can take it places?
DizzySnowFire
Would I have to probably buy one of those vest to put on my dog so I can take it places?
In the US an identifying harness is not required but I'd advise you get one that says it's working and to not pet.
Else wise, you're going to get people randomly coming up and petting your dog.
It may even still happen but not nearly as often as without an identifying harness.

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Aerobe
DizzySnowFire
In the US an identifying harness is not required but I'd advise you get one that says it's working and to not pet.
It may even still happen but not nearly as often as without an identifying harness.

Do I need to have a permit for one of those?
Also, it's okay if people ask me before petting.
I wonder where I'd be able to buy a harness
would this work?
DizzySnowFire
Aerobe
DizzySnowFire

would this work?
Nope, no permit needed.
And I mean people will pet without asking.
Before you decide on allowing petting you'll need your dog trained.
If your dog can be distracted by being petted then you'll want to get a Do Not Pet badge for the harness. However, if your dog can ignore it then you can allow it.
Yeah that's fine.

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Aerobe
DizzySnowFire
Aerobe
DizzySnowFire

would this work?
Nope, no permit needed.
And I mean people will pet without asking.
Before you decide on allowing petting you'll need your dog trained.
If your dog can be distracted by being petted then you'll want to get a Do Not Pet badge for the harness. However, if your dog can ignore it then you can allow it.
Yeah that's fine.

Would that make it easier to be able to take in places like grocery stores and places like that?
I wonder if I have to do that myself. I'm mostly looking for helping my social anxiety and generalize anxiety.
Do you know what task you're going to train to help migrate your disability?

Dogs are not all cut from the same cloth, just personally I'd go to a breeder who's dogs have been used as service animals and that have even reliable temperments. Dogs training for service work have high flunk rates.

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
11 Cardinal 11
Do you know what task you're going to train to help migrate your disability?

Dogs are not all cut from the same cloth, just personally I'd go to a breeder who's dogs have been used as service animals and that have even reliable temperments. Dogs training for service work have high flunk rates.

I just probably lick my hand when I'm anxious to help me calm down.
Maybe get my medicine or help me remember to take it.
It's going to be there there for support for my mental illness.

Magnetic Sex Symbol

This only applies to the US; I don't know anything about Canadian laws.

-You need to have a specific disability for a service dog.
-You need to have specific issues that can be addressed by a dog that cannot be addressed by medication/therapy.
-You need to have defined tasks that the dog does (providing comfort or support does not count legally) that mitigate the disability.
-You should contact someone who is actually familiar with service dog laws and training in the US, and not rely on people here.

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
AraTeran
This only applies to the US; I don't know anything about Canadian laws.

-You need to have a specific disability for a service dog.
-You need to have specific issues that can be addressed by a dog that cannot be addressed by medication/therapy.
-You need to have defined tasks that the dog does (providing comfort or support does not count legally) that mitigate the disability.
-You should contact someone who is actually familiar with service dog laws and training in the US, and not rely on people here.

Well I do have a specific disability.
And Aerobe seems to know about service dog since her mom seems to have one.
Aerobe
No it can't. I would argue there are way more dogs out there not cut out to be service dogs than there are ones that are.

To the OP, I would highly suggest going through a SD group than trying to purchase and train a dog yourself. A good SD group has the experience and skill to properly match you with the right dog for your needs.

Magnetic Sex Symbol

DizzySnowFire

Well I do have a specific disability.
And Aerobe seems to know about service dog since her mom seems to have one.

There is no substitute for actually speaking in person with people who are familiar with service dogs. You can't just make any dog into a service dog; that is a recipe for disaster. You have to have a dog that is suited for the specific tasks you are doing and a dog with the correct temperament.
Krissim Klaw
Aerobe
No it can't. I would argue there are way more dogs out there not cut out to be service dogs than there are ones that are.

To the OP, I would highly suggest going through a SD group than trying to purchase and train a dog yourself. A good SD group has the experience and skill to properly match you with the right dog for your needs.
Hmm. I knew labs were most commonly used but I've seen a huge variety of SDs. From poms and chis to terrier types and even great danes.

After seeing what tasks she wants used personally I think she's looking more for an ESA.
But that's just my opinion.

Lonely Gaian

13,575 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Aerobe
Krissim Klaw
Aerobe

Hmm. I knew labs were most commonly used but I've seen a huge variety of SDs. From poms and chis to terrier types and even great danes.

After seeing what tasks she wants used personally I think she's looking more for an ESA.

What's the difference?

Devoted Inquisitor

Aerobe
Krissim Klaw
Aerobe

Just because an individual dog from a particular breed is suited to service work, that doesn't mean all dogs of that breed are. Most individual dogs aren't suited. :]

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff