Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Dabbler

Henrika
River Melody
The entire vet staff in my town are so rude and the actual vet is a crook. My friends dog got hit by a car and he took her to that vet, the vet said she was fine and that he didn't need to do anything for her and she died the next day.
Which is why I drive ~45 minutes to another town to take my animals. They're so much nicer and much cheaper than the animal hospital in my town.
Not to be rude but... I wonder if your friend showed up and asked if the dog looked fine, then refused to pay for x-rays/ultrasounds or additional work....

Because this honestly happens ALL the time, and people blame the vets for not being thorough when in reality its the owners who aren't willing to pay for their services.

Either way, sorry about the dog.

No he's not stupid. And it is rude for you to assume something like that just because it happens "all the time."
He did however, refuse to pay the bill afterward (because they will send you bills in weekly/monthly payments) and I can't really say that I blame him. Why pay for all the tests and so on if the vet did nothing to help your animal? (And I'm sure with x-rays and ultrasounds they could have spotted any internal injuries). They could have at least euthanized her so she could have gone peacefully and without pain.
River Melody
Henrika
River Melody
The entire vet staff in my town are so rude and the actual vet is a crook. My friends dog got hit by a car and he took her to that vet, the vet said she was fine and that he didn't need to do anything for her and she died the next day.
Which is why I drive ~45 minutes to another town to take my animals. They're so much nicer and much cheaper than the animal hospital in my town.
Not to be rude but... I wonder if your friend showed up and asked if the dog looked fine, then refused to pay for x-rays/ultrasounds or additional work....

Because this honestly happens ALL the time, and people blame the vets for not being thorough when in reality its the owners who aren't willing to pay for their services.

No he's not stupid. And it is rude for you to assume something like that just because it happens "all the time."
He did however, refuse to pay the bill afterward (because they will send you bills in weekly/monthly payments) and I can't really say that I blame him. Why pay for all the tests and so on if the vet did nothing to help your animal? (And I'm sure with x-rays and ultrasounds they could have spotted any internal injuries). They could have at least euthanized her so she could have gone peacefully and without pain.
I'm assuming things by your rude tone.

Vets are not able to work magic. There could have been hemorrhaging or something that showed up later. It was awful of your friend to refuse payment of services rendered in an attempt to save their dog. Next time there is a major traumatic injury, have the animal stay overnight. Even then there are no guarantees and you should be willing to happily pay the people waiting up all night on your pet, regardless of the outcome.

The fact that your friend wouldn't pay speaks volumes really, and 100% confirms my assumptions.

Dapper Werewolf

Had a vet refuse treatment on my dog Parker just because he was old "old dogs limp" he said. Took him to another vet who gave a s**t and found out he had aggressive bone cancer and I had to put him down to end his suffering.

Dapper Dabbler

Henrika
River Melody
Henrika
River Melody

Vets are not able to work magic. There could have been hemorrhaging or something that showed up later. It was awful of your friend to refuse payment of services rendered in an attempt to save their dog. Next time there is a major traumatic injury, have the animal stay overnight. Even then there are no guarantees and you should be willing to happily pay the people waiting up all night on your pet, regardless of the outcome.

The fact that your friend wouldn't pay speaks volumes really, and 100% confirms my assumptions.

Reading comprehension is really over your head isn't it? Apparently, so is empathy. I feel like a broken record because I keep repeating myself and you can't seem to grasp what I am saying.
The vet told him his dog was 100% fine and to go home. Did not offer to keep her overnight for observations. He refused to do anything else. He didn't even give her anything for pain. There was no real attempt to save his dog, so he did not pay. If the vet had offered to keep her for observation, at least he could say they did try, but they didn't. They took a couple of x-rays and that was that. How or why in the world you're trying to make my friend look like the bad guy is beyond me.
If a family member died because of medical neglect in a hospital, would you pay the bills? Would you just shrug and go on with life and do nothing? Or would you do something to bring the neglectful people to justice? Same thing with animals because, to me, they are family members.
You really are a rude, harsh person who, again, can't seem to . I really hope you aren't working with animals at all. If so, there's no telling how many animals have suffered because of you. Like I said before, euthanizing the dog would have been more humane than letting her suffer, but you seem to be much more worried about someone getting money than you do about any animal. All you've talked about is how awful it was that they didn't get paid, but you've said nothing about the suffering of the animal. How awful it must have been to be suffering to death. No pain medication or anything. Just pain and suffering. But good golly gosh the vet who did nothing at all, bless his heart he's missing a paycheck.
River Melody
Henrika
River Melody
Henrika
River Melody

Reading comprehension is really over your head isn't it? Apparently, so is empathy. I feel like a broken record because I keep repeating myself and you can't seem to grasp what I am saying.
The vet told him his dog was 100% fine and to go home. Did not offer to keep her overnight for observations. He refused to do anything else. He didn't even give her anything for pain. There was no real attempt to save his dog, so he did not pay. If the vet had offered to keep her for observation, at least he could say they did try, but they didn't. They took a couple of x-rays and that was that. How or why in the world you're trying to make my friend look like the bad guy is beyond me.
If a family member died because of medical neglect in a hospital, would you pay the bills? Would you just shrug and go on with life and do nothing? Or would you do something to bring the neglectful people to justice? Same thing with animals because, to me, they are family members.
You really are a rude, harsh person who, again, can't seem to . I really hope you aren't working with animals at all. If so, there's no telling how many animals have suffered because of you. Like I said before, euthanizing the dog would have been more humane than letting her suffer, but you seem to be much more worried about someone getting money than you do about any animal. All you've talked about is how awful it was that they didn't get paid, but you've said nothing about the suffering of the animal. How awful it must have been to be suffering to death. No pain medication or anything. Just pain and suffering. But good golly gosh the vet who did nothing at all, bless his heart he's missing a paycheck.
Vets are not magical mind readers.

If the x-rays showed up clean, then that is all they can tell you. Your vet can not make any reasonable case for keeping a dog that appears healthy at the clinic UNLESS THE OWNER ASKS FOR IT.

It is up to the OWNER to ask what happens in the case of a relapse or who they should call if something should happen later on, or what care should be given at home. It is up to the OWNER to book a follow up appointment etc. etc. etc.

Many vets don't like to push this stuff because it costs MONEY and most people don't want to pay it, like in the case of your friend.

It really just sounds like your friend couldn't be bothered to ask for what he wanted, and is now blaming the vet for not being able to read his mind.
And its not about the money - the vet is not going to go under after one lost payment, its about the fact that your friend is blaming someone else for their mistakes and trying to be vindictive about it.

As I said earlier, sorry about the dog, but it doesn't sound like your friend learned their lesson so I hope they don't get any other animals for a long long time.

850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Timid 100
Henrika
GravityPure
Welp. Went to the vet and asked for heart worm test, fecal test, and microchip.

They ignored the first two requests and said that they couldn't do microchipping and I'd have to come back and have a separate appointment because the manager was gone. They only gave me meds and revolution and sent me on my way. So they really didn't get anything I asked to have done.

sad Not going back.
Did you book an appointment? Or did you just show up and expect the doctor to not be in surgery/doing time sensitive lab work/not be with another patient/be off for the day etc.

Many clinics are only open 7 days to pick up meds & dispense prescriptions or board people's pets. Especially when it comes to small clinics, usually there is only a doctor present 5 days a week.

As much as you seem to want to believe I am daft; I'm not. I told them the reason I was going in to the appointment when I scheduled it a week in advance. neutral

Dapper Dabbler

Henrika
River Melody
Henrika
River Melody
Henrika
River Melody

If the x-rays showed up clean, then that is all they can tell you. Your vet can not make any reasonable case for keeping a dog that appears healthy at the clinic UNLESS THE OWNER ASKS FOR IT.

It is up to the OWNER to ask what happens in the case of a relapse or who they should call if something should happen later on, or what care should be given at home. It is up to the OWNER to book a follow up appointment etc. etc. etc.

Many vets don't like to push this stuff because it costs MONEY and most people don't want to pay it, like in the case of your friend.

It really just sounds like your friend couldn't be bothered to ask for what he wanted, and is now blaming the vet for not being able to read his mind.
And its not about the money - the vet is not going to go under after one lost payment, its about the fact that your friend is blaming someone else for their mistakes and trying to be vindictive about it.

As I said earlier, sorry about the dog, but it doesn't sound like your friend learned their lesson so I hope they don't get any other animals for a long long time.

Wow you are really dumb aren't you? Did you even read what I typed? If a "professional" says that there is nothing wrong with your pet, how is someone going to know what to demand? Are the clients supposed to be magical mind readers while the vet sits around collecting the money? And how could he have scheduled a follow up if his dog died the very next day? Have you seen a dog that appears perfectly fine after being hit by a car? Please, let me know if you have. It doesn't seem responsible at all to not keep an animal overnight for observations after a traumatic event. Besides, there have been many others who have experienced the same with this vet(him doing nothing while their animal is injured or just making things worse). The vet and his staff are rude and uncaring, I actually used to take my dog there and she would get so scared she would pee all over the place, but from the first time I started taking her elsewhere, she hasn't had an accident at all during a vet visit. Which, you probably wont read this anyway so I don't know why I keep wasting my time. You're just going to defend the guy because you're just as cold-hearted.

Dapper Dabbler

GravityPure
Henrika
GravityPure

They ignored the first two requests and said that they couldn't do microchipping and I'd have to come back and have a separate appointment because the manager was gone. They only gave me meds and revolution and sent me on my way. So they really didn't get anything I asked to have done.

sad Not going back.
Did you book an appointment? Or did you just show up and expect the doctor to not be in surgery/doing time sensitive lab work/not be with another patient/be off for the day etc.

Many clinics are only open 7 days to pick up meds & dispense prescriptions or board people's pets. Especially when it comes to small clinics, usually there is only a doctor present 5 days a week.

As much as you seem to want to believe I am daft; I'm not. I told them the reason I was going in to the appointment when I scheduled it a week in advance. neutral

She seems to be pretty good with assumptions and being condescending, but bad with reading comprehension skills.
Sorry about your bad luck with vets. Thankfully I've found a place that my pets and I love. Hopefully you do soon!

850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Timid 100
River Melody

She seems to be pretty good with assumptions and being condescending, but bad with reading comprehension skills.
Sorry about your bad luck with vets. Thankfully I've found a place that my pets and I love. Hopefully you do soon!

Thank you, like I may have mentioned earlier I volunteered as a vet assistant for four years through high school and had taken three semesters of vet tech courses at that time. I'm pet first aide certified as well. I know what I'm doing when it comes down to it. I was also raised by a man who worked surgery for the past 35 years, so I'm well versed in the life of doctors. The assumptions are just annoying and unneeded.

The vet did compliment my bandage skills when she checked his cut foot pad and low and behold when I told her how I was treating it she told me that's exactly what she was going to suggest. It has healed quite well too!

But thank you, I will find a vet like the one I had in Maine! It is the best feeling to find that vet you can rely on and have a great experience with. biggrin

Fading Fantasma
Had a vet refuse treatment on my dog Parker just because he was old "old dogs limp" he said. Took him to another vet who gave a s**t and found out he had aggressive bone cancer and I had to put him down to end his suffering.

sad Sorry to hear that. My father took our lab in when he started to develop cataracts and they never looked at his eyes. They did toss a cotton ball in a brightly lit room and told my father nothing was wrong with him. So my father switched vets for his two pups as well.
River Melody
GravityPure
Henrika
GravityPure

sad Not going back.

You seem to be good at being rude and name calling... logic though... not so much.

Dapper Dabbler

GravityPure
River Melody

Thank you, like I may have mentioned earlier I volunteered as a vet assistant for four years through high school and had taken three semesters of vet tech courses at that time. I'm pet first aide certified as well. I know what I'm doing when it comes down to it. I was also raised by a man who worked surgery for the past 35 years, so I'm well versed in the life of doctors. The assumptions are just annoying and unneeded.

The vet did compliment my bandage skills when she checked his cut foot pad and low and behold when I told her how I was treating it she told me that's exactly what she was going to suggest. It has healed quite well too!

But thank you, I will find a vet like the one I had in Maine! It is the best feeling to find that vet you can rely on and have a great experience with. biggrin

Oh, how awesome! You definitely have a lot of background to know what you're talking about. Maybe that's why you encounter some rude staff. You'd think it would be the opposite, but I've found that people can be offended sometimes when those who they perceive as less knowledgeable actually know what they're talking about. Humans are weird.
I never thought about volunteering or anything until the vet I take my cats to told me I should think about becoming a vet tech. I was speechless when she said that.

Dapper Dabbler

Henrika
River Melody
GravityPure
Henrika
GravityPure

sad Not going back.

You seem to be good at being rude and name calling... logic though... not so much.

Yes. Because it's totally logical to pay someone who killed your pet through neglect. rolleyes
Honestly, I think you just wanted to start drama. You've had your fun, now it's probably past your bedtime. emotion_yatta

850 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Timid 100
River Melody
GravityPure
River Melody

Oh, how awesome! You definitely have a lot of background to know what you're talking. Maybe that's why you encounter some rude staff. You'd think it would be the opposite, but I've found that people can be offended sometimes when those who they perceive as less knowledgeable actually know what they're talking about. Humans are weird.
I never thought about volunteering or anything until the vet I take my cats to told me I should think about becoming a vet tech. I was speechless when she said that.

It taught me a lot about the medical process for patients. There was another volunteer who was interested in vet tech. He volunteered a day or two a week to see what job demand was like. Most of the time the staff is happy to have someone scoop poop for free. Hahaha.

I did this for the agricultural high school I went to. We had to have Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE) hours. Unfortunately because of the state laws I could never really document my hours there, but I'd stick them in under my farm job hours. Most of my time was spent walking dogs, cleaning the dental table, cleaning the grooming room, and feeding. I also was able to help in exam rooms, talk to vets about diagnosis, and the staff was great about explaining what they were doing and why.
River Melody
Henrika
River Melody
Henrika
River Melody

Wow you are really dumb aren't you? Did you even read what I typed? If a "professional" says that there is nothing wrong with your pet, how is someone going to know what to demand? Are the clients supposed to be magical mind readers while the vet sits around collecting the money? And how could he have scheduled a follow up if his dog died the very next day? Have you seen a dog that appears perfectly fine after being hit by a car? Please, let me know if you have. It doesn't seem responsible at all to not keep an animal overnight for observations after a traumatic event. Besides, there have been many others who have experienced the same with this vet(him doing nothing while their animal is injured or just making things worse). The vet and his staff are rude and uncaring, I actually used to take my dog there and she would get so scared she would pee all over the place, but from the first time I started taking her elsewhere, she hasn't had an accident at all during a vet visit. Which, you probably wont read this anyway so I don't know why I keep wasting my time. You're just going to defend the guy because you're just as cold-hearted.
You should really stop with the name calling. It makes you look ugly.

For example, my ferret had an allergic reaction to his vaccine. He couldn't breathe and would have died had the vet not been in the room with us to immediately put him on oxygen support. When I picked him up later that day, he'd been in the oxygen tank for hours and the vet said he seemed fine to go home. That COULD have been it for that visit BUT seeings as my ferret had been through a traumatic event, I asked the vet what to do in case of relapse, which emergency vets treated ferrets in my area, what should I do if I couldn't get him to eat etc. etc. (Since he refused all food at the vet and was vomiting earlier.)

So you see, when he DID have a minor relapse later on, I had my vets home phone number in hand to call for assistance, since I had been told earlier that the ER clinics don't treat ferrets.

Now the vet wouldn't have told me ANY of this if I hadn't asked. He was prepping for surgery and was extremely busy that day, so adding in my emergency on top of everything makes it unreasonable to expect he'd remember every detail of every patient.

I guess what really pisses me off, is I see comments like yours on review sites even at my vet's clinic, and I know for FACT that this man will get up at 4am to come save your dying cat/dog/ferret/gerbil/iguana and people STILL give him crap simply because he lacks the ability to see the future, read minds, & guess your pets' illnesses without any assistance from you.

Also, dogs CAN and DO appear fine after getting struck by cars some times. It's called going into shock. And again, your vet cannot predict the future, and they cannot read minds or work voodoo magic. It's up to YOU as a pet owner to ask questions and be involved with your pets' care.

And I haven't wanted to say this up till now, but with the name calling you deserve it. It wasn't the vet that killed your friends' dog, it was your friend - by letting him off leash near traffic.

Dapper Dabbler

GravityPure
River Melody
GravityPure
River Melody

Oh, how awesome! You definitely have a lot of background to know what you're talking. Maybe that's why you encounter some rude staff. You'd think it would be the opposite, but I've found that people can be offended sometimes when those who they perceive as less knowledgeable actually know what they're talking about. Humans are weird.

It taught me a lot about the medical process for patients. There was another volunteer who was interested in vet tech. He volunteered a day or two a week to see what job demand was like. Most of the time the staff is happy to have someone scoop poop for free. Hahaha.

I did this for the agricultural high school I went to. We had to have Supervised Agricultural Experience (SAE) hours. Unfortunately because of the state laws I could never really document my hours there, but I'd stick them in under my farm job hours. Most of my time was spent walking dogs, cleaning the dental table, cleaning the grooming room, and feeding. I also was able to help in exam rooms, talk to vets about diagnosis, and the staff was great about explaining what they were doing and why.

Oh my goodness. That sounds so cool. I wish I could have done that in high school. The agriculture class that we had was mainly just going to the teachers farm and cleaning his animals. He seemed like a creepy old man (and the fact that most of the hands on work was at his home added to the creepiness) so I never signed up for that class.
I was going to college to become a guidance counselor but I kind of sucked at the practical parts so I'm re-assessing my goals.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff